1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Portland next week... looking for suggestions

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by kkulacki, Aug 1, 2012.

1. So I'm heading to Portland this weekend for a conference (I'll be one of the ~5000 ecologists swarming the convention center area all week), and was looking for recommendations from any locals on stuff to see, do, eat, and more importantly drink next week. Doesn't look like much is listed on the events calendar for the city as far as special events go. I expect to be on foot with an all-zones rail pass. Only things on my list so far are HotD, Deschutes, and Voodoo Doughnut.

Any other do-not-miss places around town? Any suggestions are certainly welcome and appreciated. I look forward to enjoying your beer and your city soon. Cheers!

2. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Here are some threads that might help:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/new-to-portland.29235/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/so-many-breweries-in-pdx-what-shouldnt-i-miss.20664/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/taking-a-trip-to-portland-or.15367/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/pdx-visit-questions.18342/
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/check-my-work-portlanders.13192/

There seems to be a concensus (more-or-less) about the "do not miss" spots: HotD, Deschutes, Cascade, Beermongers, APEX, Horsebrass, Belmont Station, Upright, Breakside, Bailey's. Plus there's always HUB, Gigantic, The Commons, Laurelwood, Lompoc, Bridgetown Beerhouse, Roscoe's, Saraveza, Concordia Ale House, Hop & Vine, Green Dragon, etc., etc., etc.

Also, if you must hit a Voodoo Doughnut, may I suggest Voodoo Doughnut Too on NE Davis. Same donuts, considerably more manageable lines.

Enjoy your trip! (I know you will).

boMD and MADhombrewer like this.
  3. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Add special emphasis on Baileys. Great place in easy reach especially since you'll be going to Deschutes & voodoo donuts - not that far apart.

hopsbreath likes this.
  4. guajolote

Which reminds me... Bailey's 5th anniversary will still be going on. Saturday 4 is their Barrel-Aged Beer Fest.

5. The Bailey's Taproom Barrel Beer Fest is the singular best beer event I ever experienced...it was AMAZING (attended in 2010). They had barrel aged versions of beer that were likely one-time only opportunities. In a city where Beer rules, this event at Bailey's is a stunner.
    Also, I've been up here a week on vacation, and the taplist at Apex is great right now...check it out on-line live...they have the FW Double Double BA, as well as Boneyard Hop Venom...and a long list of great beer in between those two, and their bottled beer too (saw Matt in there, and the Imperial Biscotti Break too).
    Have fun...it's Portland.

6. Isn't Cascade, HOTD, and Green Dragon within walking distance of the convention center? Maybe I am thinking Rose Quarter. Either way....

7. guajolote

If you consider slightly more than a mile to be "walking distance" (and I do), then yes. I'm bored at work so here's a breakdown of spots close to the CC.

Burnside Brewing - .5 mi.
    Upright - .7 mi.
    HotD - 1.1 mi.
    Cascade & Green Dragon - 1.1 mi.
    Bailey's - 1.2 mi.
    Deschutes - 1.4 mi.
    Lompoc 5Q/Sidebar & HUB Bikebar - 1.8 mi.
    APEX & Beermongers - 2 mi.

And if you're totally hard-up for a decent pint, Spirit of 77 is pretty much directly across the street from the OCC.

kkulacki, MADhombrewer and hopsbreath like this.
  8. Didn't expect Burnside to be closer than Upright. Nice breakdown.

9. sullenbee

sullenbee Savant (340) Michigan Jan 15, 2010

I made a few stops while passing through Portland a few weeks ago. Really wish I would have had more time to explore, but the friends we were staying with weren't huge beer geeks. Of the places I stopped, I really liked Cascade, The Commons, and Hair of the Dog. Deschutes was a bit of a wait to get in, but also worth it. Wish I could have stuck around a few more days to check out some beer bars. I think I fell in love with the food, beer and biking culture of the city in just two days. I'm willing to bet you could live there for years and still never make it everywhere. Also... food trucks! Really wish we had more food trucks here in Grand Rapids.

[​IMG]
    (I will miss you Cascade! Until we meet again....)

djbreezy likes this.
  10. Thank you all for the help!! My bad for not using the search for the older threads (I just scanned the first page). But stuff like the Bailey's Anny party is just what I was looking for, as well as all the other suggestions. Looks like I'll be spending my Saturday evening at Bailey's - that's an impressive list of BA beers! I'll be the guy in the Jolly Pumpkin t-shirt :)

11. Could someone please let me know what is somewhat easy to find from HOtD right now so I can have my sister (also attending this conference) pick some up to bring back to MI for me? Thanks in advance.

12. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

Adam and Fred are always around town. Even places like Fred Meyer super markets. Blue Dot is also available but you'll most likely have to find them at more specialty places. Ruth may be around too. But I'm not sure how fresh the bottles are.

[EDIT] There are colabs too. Bottles of Flanders Fred just hit town, and I still see bottles of Collage around town too. But for Collage more hunting may be needed. Off the top of my head I saw bottles at Bailey's Taproom. And they sell bottles to go there.

13. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Fred and Adam are widely avaible, as is Blue Dot most of the time. Doggie Claws can be found on occassion, but will likely be diffficult to find around town at present. In the past you could also obtain bottles of the most currrent DC and Fred From the Wood to go as well at the tasting room as well, but I'm not sure that's the case at the present time.

You can also try your luck at Apex. They have a very good bottle selection and often times have vintage HOTD stuff available to go. The prices will be high there, but if you really want some vintage DC or FFTW, that might be the place to go.

14. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Savant (265) Washington Jul 18, 2012

Not to mention Apex is can't miss. Check out the mexican place next door.

15. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

16. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Zupans Belmont and Belmont Station for Collage as well.

17. I was out at HotD for lunch today. I believe the only bottles they had for sale there were Adam, Fred, Blue Dot, and Collab. I saw them cart in several cases of Flanders Fred as I was there, but they're saving them for a special event in a couple weeks. Collab was $12 at the pub.

18. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

I haven't been in a while (since it's so crowded these days) but Bailey's Taproom used to always have Doggie Claws. I'm sure Apex does as well.