1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Portland this weekend

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by djbreezy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Hey guys! Sorry if this has already been discussed before but I'll be visiting Portland from just over the bridge in Vancouver over the weekend.

What bottle shops and breweries should I hit while I'm in town? I don't plan to be there long as it's a 15 minute car ride back. Also what hotels should I stay in and what whales should I look for? Give me the rare spots immediately internets!

optophobia and maltmaster420 like this.
  2. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

INB4 deletion! :cool:

djbreezy likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

y
    You're a funny man djbreezy... :)

(and my, but ain't this bud light platinum tasty... so eat your heart out!!!)

djbreezy likes this.
  4. djbreezy

Are you really drinking a *gasp* Platinum? Please say it ain't so! :(

5. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Don't worry, he probably chased it with some Hop Venom

6. John_M

:) Just a weak joke.

... and oh how I wish I had some Hop Venom to drink instead! Boneyard beers are kind of scarce out this way.

djbreezy likes this.
  7. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (235) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

You forgot the part about meeting up with locals and that you'll be bringing some rare Clark County beers that we never see in PDX.

djbreezy likes this.
  8. djbreezy

VERY funny.

Also, I have a less than spectacular overhyped IPA from the east coast that I will trade you for your west coast nectar and I'd like 6 bottles of PTE shipped to me please. ;)

9. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I also hear that east coast IPAs improve with age....through processes and chemical reactions us west-coasters will never comprehend

djbreezy likes this.
  10. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Well, they ARE intended to be shipped to India after all. Stupid noobs. :D

11. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

Oh man, I'm going to be out of town, or I would have loved to meet up. You have to stop in at the Yamhill Pub. Best beer bar in Portland.
    I'm actually going on a trip up to the Couv and experience SW Washington finest. Well actually look at houses.

12. maltmaster420

:D classic

13. djbreezy

Ha! I'm sorry for your loss. I recently moved back from Portland to get into a house. :confused:

I was born here and work here but I miss being able to walk around Portland and the proximity to good beer spots. Vancouver does have Brickhouse, By the Bottle and NW Liquid Gold now so it's not a complete loss. It's coming around slowly.

14. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

No, but seriously, coming to PDX this weekend.

Plans include Cascade, HOtD, Baileys, Belmont Station. Hopefulls include Henry's, Deschutes, HUB, Horse Brass

Missing anything obvious?

15. guajolote

Delete Henry's. Add Beermongers or Apex (or both). Apex has a Big Time Brewery (Seattle) event on Saturday, featuring their "homage" to Pliny the Younger, called Whiny the Complainer. Probably a worthwhile event.

If you go to HUB, consider the HUB Bike Bar on North Williams. It's a 30 second stumble from Lompoc Sidebar, which is somewhat of a hidden gem. It's pretty hard to go wrong in PDX, really.

16. honkduh

honkduh Savant (315) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Beer mongers

17. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Aficionado (225) Oregon May 17, 2010

New
    I was born and raised in the Vancouver as well. I live almost in Boring right now, so Vancouver will actually be closer to Portland for me.

Mt. Tabor also has a tap room that is pretty nice and just a few blocks from By the Bottle. I enjoy doing a mini pub/brewery crawl from Mt. Tabor-Slamon Creek-By the Bottle.​

18. maltmaster420

How are they doing? I haven't had (or even seen) any of their beer since they moved across the river. It was never mind-blowing stuff, but it was my go-to brand whenever I went to Vintage on 80th and Stark, mainly because it was impossible to find elsewhere.

19. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

Cool - i've actually been to Henry's. Only included that as we need a place to watch the ncaa tournament that also has solid beer (NC State alumns). If there is a more ideal beer-oriented place to watch games on Friday, please do tell

20. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

BeerMongers typically has sports on. If there is no Portland game (IE Timbers, Blazers) and you ask nicely I'm sure they can accommodate you.

21. guajolote

Both Deschutes and HUB (both locations) have TVs and show sporting events. They're not "sports bars" though, so only a couple TVs, but I'd imagine they'll put on whatever you request if nobody objects. Beermongers might be showing NCAA games as well. You're out of luck at the other places. There's a basketball-oriented bar called Spirit of 77 (http://www.spiritof77bar.com/) that will definitely be showing all the games, so that might be an option for you as well.

22. djbreezy

I haven't been impressed so far. Their staple pale ale is awful. It's cloudy and tastes like banana.

23. John_M

Just my opinion, but I prefer Claudia's on Hawthorne to Henry's. The atmosphere/vibe is better, they get a more interesting clientle, the food is better (IMHO), they have plenty of TV's, and a decent selection of craft beer. Granted, the beer list is not as extensive as what you'll find at Henry's, but they usually have HUB IPA, Walking Man Knuckedragger, something from terminal gravity, etc. (figure on around 10 or so craft options). Prices there are a LOT cheaper then what you'll pay at Henry's as well, and they have complimentary wifi (which granted, is not that big of a deal in Portland).

They also sell pitchers and half picthers of beer, which these days I think is pretty sweet.

24. Any of the Blitz bars typically have decent tap lineups and lots of TVs...

djbreezy likes this.
  25. djbreezy

I love how at one of the locations you'll see old sweaty men with Prefontaine's, then at the other you'll see OSU/UO and college kids, then at the other you'll see a mix of college and older. Totally different vibes.

26. youradhere

youradhere Savant (485) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Woops, wrong post!