1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Portland, update Feb 23rd

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by digita7693, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Cleaning up the thread originally posted by guajolote. Might do this periodically, time and motivation permitting.

Surely many of us agree that this forum could use an easily seachable/bump-able "I'm visiting Portland, where should I go?" thread. Here, I'll attempt to cull the consensus "must-hits," along with other highly recommended PDX breweries, brew pubs, bottle shops & beer bars that appear in this type of BA thread. Recommendations & suggestions are encouraged.

(Almost) Universally Recommended "Must-Hit" Breweries & Brew Pubs

Other Highly Recommended Breweries & Brew Pubs

Highly Recommended Beer Bars / Bottle Shops
    APEX
    The Green Dragon

Some helpful maps:

digita7693’s map (moved this here as it includes not only beer destinations, but cafes, restaurants, other things to do and hotels)

Some Pub Crawl suggestions:
    Inner SE Pub/Brewery Crawl (APEX -> Beermongers -> The Commons -> HotD -> Cascade -> Base Camp -> Burnside)
    Sunnyside Pub Crawl (Horse Brass -> Belmont Station -> Hawthorne Hop House -> Bazi Bierbrasserie)
    North Portland Pub Crawl (Amnesia -> Bridgetown Beerhouse -> Prost! -> HUB BikeBar -> Lompoc Sidebar/5Q)

Growler Fills:
    Baileys, Beermongers, Hop & Vine, Blitz, Belmont Station, Hophouses, Roscoe's, all breweries.
    possibly Saraveza and Bridgetown, but I forget, so won't say 100%.

Other BA resources:

Portland BeerFly listing: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/16

Some other forum threads on the topic:

*disclaimer: This post is not intended to be a catch-all for Portland beer establishments. There are literally hundreds of well-regarded beer institutions throughout the greater Portland area, many of which are not listed in this post. This thread is an attempt to present the most frequently recommended and highest-regarded spots often cited in the Northwest BA forum. Exploration and experimentation are certainly encouraged!
  2. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Just my two cents, but I'd throw in the Full Sail Riverplace brewery and pub, as well as at least one McM location. The former always has a nice selection of beers on tap, as well as usually 3 or 4 one offs from FS as well. As for McM, I always recommend Kennedy School. It's debatable whether the beers warrant a special side trip or visit, but the grounds themselves are pretty cool, and I just think it's a place that a first time, out of town visitor would enjoy.

Also, I don't think it would be bad to include the Hawthorne Fred Meyers, especially considering how conveniently located it is to most of the other places listed on the SE side.

Lastly, if your're going to include Saraveza, then I'm not really sure how you can leave off Concordia Alehouse or Hop & Vine. For that matter, I also think the Moon and Sixpence could be on this list, and maybe even County Cork (especially for those out of town visitors who have PtE at the top of their "must try" list). Hell, I'd even consider including the Highland Stillhouse, for all that Oregon City is really no where close to downtown PDX.
    Boston77 and flexabull like this.
  3. digita7693

See disclaimer:)
    Also I have Kennedy school on my map.

Cheers
  4. John_M

I saw the disclaimer, but also the part about additional suggestions as well. I wasn't criticizing... just making a couple of more suggestions. :)
  5. digita7693

Shit, I knew I should have deleted something;) I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.
  6. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

All worthy suggestions, for sure.

The spirit of the original thread was to put together the places that seem almost universally suggested whenver one of the "visiting PDX" threads would pop up. I should qualify that by saying that I didn't do any scientific data mining to come up with that original list though, so I'm sure I might've added or omitted places that may not have met the aforementioned criteria. Hence my disclaimer and the "recommendations/suggestions encouraged" language.

The Hop & Vine is on the original list, by the way. ;)
  7. digita7693

Should probably bump this since its not on the first page:)
    exitmusic00 likes this.
  8. Redrover

Redrover Advocate (745) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

Perfect, I will be back in Portland this week (Arrive Tuesday and leave Friday) and this is helpful. I actually have free time on Thursday night, is there any can’t miss Thursday beer stuff going on?
  9. digita7693

In the next update I will add a few places to visit around Portland eg Logsdon, Solera, Heater Allen.

others?
  10. John_M

Shrug. Walking Man, Everybody's Brewing, Double Mountain, Full Saild (hood river), Ice Axe Grill/Mt. Hood brewing.

Just my two cents, but I'd stick with the OP. If you expand too far outside of PDX (Hood River, McMinnville, Vancouver, Salem), I think the list of possibilities will be pretty overwhelming.
  11. digita7693

12. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

bump, since there's been a couple recent threads about visiting portland
  13. GatorBeer

GatorBeer Savant (350) Florida Feb 2, 2010

I'm heading to Portland in May and wanted some input on food, lodging and activities. Thanks to this thread and many more I think I have my beer plans sorted out but would like suggestions on the following:

Best food trucks or pods?
    Any must-visit restaurants (doesn't have to have great beer)?
    Anybody stayed at Hotel Modera, Hotel Fifty or Hotel DeLuxe or have any other recommendations?
    Any must-visit attractions? (Have gardens planned)
  14. digita7693

Check my map, it has hotels, restaurants and attractions.

Food carts: the grilled pb&j cart is interesting, koi is good, I'm sure some will recommend lardo...
    For food it really depends on what you like
  15. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

I went ahead and updated the thread (again).

As far as carts, I'd recommend Artigiano. It's on Division, a block or 2 east of Pok Pok. Excellent rustic Italian food.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.