1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Pullman (part deux)

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Joeyuwp, May 26, 2012.

1. Joeyuwp

Joeyuwp Aficionado (175) Wisconsin Jan 15, 2012

A followup to a previous question. What is a "can't miss" local brew that I should experience? i.e. Something I may not be able to get here in Badgerland. Thanks!

2. jnoble

jnoble Aficionado (160) Oklahoma Feb 23, 2012

Mac & Jack's African Amber.

3. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

You're serious, right? Of all the great beers available in this area you choose African Amber? In a word, pedestrian. He can and I hope he does much better than that.

bfg75 likes this.
  4. jnoble

Yeah my bad. I was going to put a laundry list of beers that I like...anything from Fremont, Black Raven, Boundary Bay, and American Brewing's oatmeal stout as I really liked that but when I have family or friends visit me and I take them out I have them try the beer that reminds me of Seattle when I'm away on vacation and for me that is Mac and Jacks. But yeah, sorry OP I could've given you better options and been more thoughtful as to my response. My apologies.

5. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Northern Lights brewery, pretty much anything that doesnt look familiar. I personally don't like Coeur d' Alene brewery but that is just me.

6. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

Well, you are in luck, i suppose, as Coeur d'Alene Brewing doesn't really exist anymore, though I believe their recipes live on at Steamplant Brewery in Spokane. BTW, Northern Lights is now NoLi. They are massively amping up capacity with plans to distribute widely, apparently, and don't want to fall foul of an east coast operation with the same name.

7. youradhere

Good to know, I'll be making a trip back to spokompton here in the next few weekends and want to see what is new. I suppose I'll still check out Steamplant, but I was truly hurt by CdA brewing- traumatized by their huckleberry ale. Any new places I should see other than the usual suspects (circa ~5 yrs ago.)?

8. woemad

woemad Champion (795) Washington Jun 8, 2003

A bottle of CDA's Huckleberry Ale was among my top 5 nastiest beers of all time, so I know your pain.
    Here's a quick rundown of the current beer scene in Spokane (anyone feel free to chime in if I miss something):

There's a few more beer bars in the area, like Jones Radiator (my personal fave) on Sprague just east of Division, The Lantern (almost a micro-pub) in the Perry district, The Hop Shop and the Manito Tap House on the south hill (the latter is a "gastropub" with 50 taps).
    There's three new breweries in the Spokane area:
    Budge Brothers and Iron Goat (had their IIPA at their official open for business party last week at Jones) in Spokane itself, and Twelve String Brewing out in the valley. There will also soon be a Belgian-style brewery in either Post Falls or CDA that will be known as Selkirk Abbey.

9. jnoble

If you're going to be just in Pullman check out Rico's Pub and the old post office. Dissmore's also has bottles for sale (not a great selection but a good one for Pullman) if Dupus Boomer's is still open on campus you should check that place out as well. Other than those places, try the two local brewries in town.

10. youradhere

*sniff* I remember when drinking Keystone down by the river at Stateline or at Newman Lake was living the life...ah Spokane, you are getting so many "big city" growths.

Imma haft hit up a few of those- that reminds me, I need to find a good downtown drunk-nest for under $200.