1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Visiting Quebec City

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jeffus20, Jun 28, 2013.

1. jeffus20

jeffus20 Member

Any good beer to be had around QC that I can't get around Boston that is not to be missed? Cheers!
  2. papat444

papat444 Member

For your bottled needs, go to Monde des Bieres, Duchesse d'Aiguillon or J.A. Moisan.
    Personal faves you can't get in Boston:

A l'abri de la tempete Corne de Brume
    Dunham (there's lots but their Black IPA & Leo's Breakfast are top notch)
    Hopfenstark (not sure if it makes it up there)
    Trefle Noir Stout
    Trou du Diable (barrel-aged offerings are better than their regular stuff. Not sure if there's any left though)
    Trois Mousquetaires Gose
    Any Charlevoix, esp. Reserve series
    Naufrageur St-Barnabe
    Castor Yakima & Bourbon Scotch Ale
    Pit Caribou American Brown Ale, IPA

Gotta be honest, in the few times i've been there, never been able to go to a brewpub. It's on my to-do list, one of these days...
    polloenfuego likes this.
  3. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Member

I would heartily recommend a side trip to Baie St. Paul for a visit to the Charlevoix folks...its only about an hour past Quebec City and it is well worth the trip. Nice little town, fantastic brewery. It would really help if you had some working knowledge of French though.
  4. hoser

hoser Member

Don't worry to much about the French, most francophones speak some English. Yes the area around the Charlevoix brewery is some of the most beautiful in the province and their brewpub in Baie St Paul makes amazing food. If you are venturing down that way. There is a great brewpub owned by one of the founders of Dieu du Ciel Microbrasserie Des Beaux Prés that is worth stopping in at.
  5. ZorPrime

ZorPrime Member

Well I can't add much to what people have already posted. If you like british-style beers, then Archibald is a good destination. Their beers are not out of this world, but they are better than average and respect the styles pretty well. Their Porter, La Choute, is pretty damn good if you ask me. Nice stout too...
  6. jeffus20

jeffus20 Member

Thanks for all the recommendations! I ended up hitting Monde des Bieres while I was there and have to say the best of what I nabbed ended up being the Microbrasserie de l'ile d'Orléan Françoise Lelièvre. Happened to stop at their brewpub on the island too, good stuff. Only downside to the whole trip was there was no Heady Topper to be had at the Alchemist brewery on my drive home.