1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Salt Lake City.

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by baggio, Jul 3, 2013.

1. baggio

baggio Savant (425) Sweden Dec 20, 2005

Hey,

Me and a buddy (we're both from sweden) will be visiting SLC for the first time in late august and would like what places to hit up during our stay there. Would also like to know which would be the best bottleshop to visit to stock up on beers for a roadtrip.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Kenzie

Kenzie Aficionado (230) Utah Feb 23, 2013

Salt Lake is surrounded by state liquor stores, good luck finding a beer specialty shop. You are better off going to the breweries and getting beer to go. My favorite salt lake brewery is Red Rock, located down town not far from Temple square. Also check out Epic Brewing and Uinta. I've also been to Squatters and they aren't bad, decent pub food and beer.
  3. baggio

We're not looking to score rare beers. Just want to try the best local beers and get some beer for our roadtrip. Will definitely try the the places you recommended. Thanks!
  4. Squatters and Wasatch for food and beer. Uinta is solid as is Epic. The Bayoo is a fun bar to hit up as well.
  5. Wasatch

Wasatch Advocate (695) Utah Jun 8, 2005

Basically all the SLS carry the same brew's, which really is not much at all. For brewpubs, checkout Squatters, and Red Rock, pretty good 4% ABV brews from tap and some pretty tasty foods. Both should have some higher ABV brews in bottles. If you want to checkout some higher ABV brews in bottles go to the Bayou, pretty expensive, but they have a pretty good selection from all over the world.

Cheers!
    StarRaptor likes this.
  6. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (275) Colorado May 31, 2011

Desert Edge is a solid brewpub, and I tell everyone I know who's going there to go to La Puente (there are two or three of them) and get the smothered burritos. I wish there was someone on the front range who made something like them.
  7. mikey451

mikey451 Aficionado (215) Utah Mar 11, 2003

I'd also recommend hitting up Uinta Brewing and their bottleshop. The Bayou & Beerhive are also great for sampling a wide variety of local beers all in one place.
  8. UT-Alex

UT-Alex Initiate (0) Texas Sep 15, 2012

I had this problem last year when I visited, I wanted to find a shop to pick up some Big Bad Baptist. Is that readily available around January? That's when I plan to go back again.
  9. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

La Frontera is very similar; it is the original place. Some sort of family dispute spawned the La Puente restaurants, but they are very much alike. Red Iguana is a can't-miss too. No good beer at any of these places but you might be able to BYO and pay a corkage fee (not sure where the liquor laws are at since I moved away).
  10. mikey451

BBB is a seasonal, it usually hits helves in Sept, Oct - Jan, Feb
  11. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Savant (275) Colorado May 31, 2011

I never heard of La Frontera, but the Red Iguana is a great place, but more upscale than La Puente (or fancier). I just like the grub at La Puente a little better. And I'm pretty sure they have Birch Beer, lol.
  12. baggio

What, hoppy, local brews are likely to be available in late august? In bottles that is. I'm a huge
    fan of low-abv session beers and plan to drink those on location but would still like to try some
    other 4%+ abv beers in bottles and also bring some along for a road-trip. Thanks.
  13. mikey451

Hop Notch, Detour, Elephino, Squatters IPA, Hop Rising, Spiral Jetty and Hopulent are some (I)IPAs that come to mind.
  14. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Then you will love SLC - not being sarcastic in the least. UT brewers have been learning, out of necessity, how to pack flavor into 4%ABV beers for close to 30 years and they're pretty good at it. Not to mention they'll go down good in the likely 100F tempersatures...