1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting San Jose From MN in March

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by mjchapley, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Hey All,

I am going to be in San Jose the first week of March for work staying near the convention center and San Jose State University. I'm looking for some help on some good beer spots to stop in. From the research I've done there isn't a whole lot. The only places I really have found are Trails Pub and Original Gravity Pub (Both these are in pretty close walking distance). Are these places worth checking out? Are there better places around? I would be willing to cab as long as its not to far.

I'm also looking for a decent bottle shop where I can pick some beers up to bring back. The only place I found within reason was Kelly's Liquor Store. Any other suggestions? I am mainly looking for Russian River Sours, Cascade Beers, Alpine, Lost Abbey Sours, Allagash Sours. Firestone Walker beers and if there are any suggestions you guys might have. I am pretty into the sour beers so I would mainly be looking for those.

If anyone would like to meet up and do an IP trade I'd be down for that as well. I can get my hands on most the the Surly beers and still have some 2012 Darkness and Syx left. I would be interested in trading for the breweries listed about. Would love to get my hands on some Beautification or Cable Car or any Cantillons if anyone has any of that. BM if your interested in meeting up.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Mike
  2. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

San Jose has slowly been getting rid of their 'dead zone' nickname in the past couple years. Original Gravity is a must, and for bottles, take a cab ride to Bobby's liquors in Santa Clara...best selection in that area.
    afrokaze likes this.
  3. Awesome thanks for the tip on Bobby's Liquors. Looks like they have a lot of stuff I would be interested in. Do you know if RR has any of there sours out right now? I have hard pressed to find any when I was in Anaheim back in November.
  4. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

Not sure about Bobby's, but the store I frequent in Livermore (Perry's), has Temptation, Supplication, Consecration, and Sanctification.
  5. I think there is a Yardhouse on Santana Row in case of an emergency :eek:
  6. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

In addition to what hophead247 posted, check out Good Karma across the street from Original Gravity.

When I was in Kelly's a month ago, there weren't any RR or Cascade sours. We don't get Alpine up here [legally].
    lymph and afrokaze like this.
  7. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Bobby's is your best bet on sours, he has some great things on the shelf pretty often.
  8. lymph

lymph Aficionado (170) California May 10, 2010

You will be hard pressed to find anything but the occassional (monthly) allotement of Pliny from RR as I have heard that that is all that will now distro in the South Bay unless there is stuff still sitting on the shelf from when it was distro. Bobby's has had Cascade and Red Poppy in the past, but not sure if they still do. Your best bet for what you are looking for is to find a way up to Oakland or SF. If you are around during the weekend, some of the South Bay BAs might be able to organize a bottle share if you are interested. BM me if that is the case.
    futura123 likes this.
  9. Thanks for the heads up. I will be in town from Tuesday to Friday so I won't have to much time to get around and see the sites with work and stuff. I will probably send Bobby's an e-mail to see what they may have but either way sounds like thats my best bet for getting some good beers.