1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Seattle

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by mjryan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. mjryan

mjryan Savant (455) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

I will be visiting Seattle in May and Id appreciate some suggestions on where to go and what to do while there. Looks like we will staying near Pike Place. What are some of your guys favourite bars, breweries, resturants in Seattle. Ive been looking at the beer fly guide, but its kind of daunting. Also, feel free to suggest fun stuff to do while not drinking haha. Thanks very much.
  2. beertunes likes this.
  3. Within walking distance of the market: Collins Pub, Elysian Fields (near stadiums), and Pike Brewing. Eat at Wild Ginger - has decent tap list (as do most good restaurants in Seattle).

Quick cab ride (or long walk) from the market: Stumbling Monk, Quinn's, Elysian Capitol Hill (all three in Capitol Hill neighborhood); Brave Horse Tavern (celebrity chef Tom Douglas' place in uber-hip South Lake Union neighborhood)

Longer (but still short) cab ride from the market: Brouwer's Cafe, Fremont Brewing Urban Beer Garden - only open Thursday-Sunday (Fremont neighborhood); Uber Tavern, Duck Island Saloon, 74th St. Ale House, Naked City (Greenwood neighborhood); Bottleworks beer store, Elysian Tangletown, Burgundian Tavern, Latona Pub (Walllingford/Green Lake neighborhood); Hudson Public House/Last Drop beer store, Cooper's Alehouse (Maple Leaf neighborhood)

Really good food at Brouwer's, Naked City, Burgundian, 74th St. Ale House, Quinn's, Brave Horse, Latona, Hudson and all three Elysians.

If you're not intimidated by public transportation, i.e., the bus, you can take the #5 bus from close to the market and head north. Along the #5 line, you are within easy walking distance of Brouwer's, Fremont Brewing, Uber Tavern, Duck Island Saloon, 74th St. Ale House, and Naked City.

Have fun. Cheers.
    jnoble and beertunes like this.
  4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

beertunes likes this.
  5. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Definitely take advantage of the metro when in Seattle. It's free in certain areas downtown too.
  6. draheim

7. leedorham

8. draheim

I agree... but fares are up and they're still cutting routes. Buses are more crowded than ever during rush hour (my routes are usually standing-room only, generally the most unpleasant part of my day). I guess they're pulling out all the stops to save money. A sign of the times I guess.
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

An absolute must hit is Big Time, in the U-District. This is one of my favorite beer hikes when I go down. Take the bus to the Fremont neighborhood. Start at Fremont Brewings tasting room. Brouwers Cafe is next in line. Keep walking, there are plenty of bars along the way, you won't go thirsty, until you hit Hale's Brewery. From there hit up Maritime Pacifics Jolly Roger Tap Room. Next is a short walk to Ballard Ave and a whole strip of bars, the Noble Fir and the new Urban Family are worth checking out. The new Hilliards Brewery is in the area as well. Take the bus back downtown. That's only about 3-4 miles of walking, just enough to put space between beers. Enjoy your visit!
    Arassuil, checktherhyme and draheim like this.
  10. leedorham

Meanwhile they're all set on the west coast version of the big dig eh?

Public transportation or walking tourability is a big plus to me when sampling a city's beer/wine.
    draheim likes this.
  11. draheim

Agree. This is a big reason Portland > San Diego as a beer city.
    grilledsquid and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  12. mjryan

Great, thanks for the information guys, I really appreciate it. Im a huge fan of walking and public transportaion.
  13. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

The ride-free debate isn't of much relevance here, but i'm all for getting rid of it. It's never once benefited me and it might go a long way to cleaning up the downtown bus scene. Anyways.

If going to Fremont, obviously worth a bus ride into ballard for many more watering holes (Hilliards, Maritime, Noble Fir, Urban Family to name a few) and lots of great food.
  14. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (310) Washington May 13, 2010

15. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

A brand new place getting rave reviews http://www.pineboxbar.com/
    The Pine Box - yup, used to be a mortuary, is a must stop.
    Bruce Lee's service apparently was held there.
    An easy walk from the Pike Place area.
    Also, for bottles, check out Pear Market - say hello to Phil, the beer buyer.
    beertunes likes this.
  16. beertunes

I'll second this, though I haven't been yet. A couple of friends went after Caskfest and loved the place. Beer selection was very good, as was service. Their pizza wasn't what they had hoped for, but it's always tough judging when a restaurant is brand new, it often takes a few weeks for things to settle in. I look forward to checking it out soon.
  17. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

This is the best beer hike in the city that I can think of, I love all those places, and I never really noticed how perfect they're all laid out for a nice beer/walking day. I'm going to do this on my next day off!!!
    Arassuil likes this.
  18. It's a nice beer walk. Unfortunately IMO, Hale's and Maritime provide mediocre offerings and just OK food. However, with Brouwer's and Noble Fir as bookends, it's a pretty damn good day. Plus, depending upon when you take the walk, you could end your night at the Tractor Tavern for good music and a small, but decent taplist. They almost always have FW Union Jack on tap.
  19. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Yeah I think the food at Maritime is terrible, but like you said, if you just eat at Brouwers and Noble Fir you're good to go. I love the Tractor! I'm in there like once a week.
  20. beertunes

I have friends in bands that play The Tractor, Conor Byrne and The Sunset, so I make this walk a few times a year. I agree that Hales isn't anything special, but it's worth a stop if your in the area. I've only ate at MP once, had the Double Sliders, I thought they were good. Nothing really outstanding, but not terrible either. The place I'm always wanting to check out is that little place, Mikes Chili Parlor. Anybody been, any good?
  21. honkduh

honkduh Savant (305) Oregon Jun 2, 2011

Kings Hardware on Ballard avenue has a pretty decent taplist for not being a beer bar and their burgers are excellent.
  22. I went to Mike's probably more than 20 years ago. I remember thinking the chili was really good (and worth the hype). Those were the days before craft exploded but think I had a Redhook. Don't know what they have on tap but seems like a BMC kind of place.
  23. beertunes

Just got a message from another BA asking for recommendations, so I thought I'd bump this thread so that it stays nearer to the front page.
  24. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

25. beertunes

NWer likes this.
  26. mjryan

Thanks for the bump. We leave tomorrow morning and will be in Seattle until the following Tues. Hope my liver can handle it!
  27. beertunes

Weekly bump to keep it near the front.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  28. beertunes

distantmantra and libbey like this.
  29. beertunes

Weekly bump.
  30. Last Drop put BB's Imperial IPA on tap today for growler fills. Didn't think it would find it's way to Seattle.
    beertunes likes this.
  31. beertunes

They don't even fill growlers at the brewery! Out of curiosity, how much are they charging for a growler?
  32. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (330) Washington Sep 11, 2011

I haven't had a chance to stop in, but I've never seen anything on their board for more than $16.
  33. beertunes

A 10oz goblet is $6 at the brewery, so a $16 growler would be a helluva deal.
  34. beertunes

Bumpitty of the weekly style.
  35. beertunes

Just bumpin' back to the front.
  36. beertunes

The "Road trippin to Seattle" thread reminded me that this guy needs a bump.
  37. I'll be visiting this Wednesday through Tuesday. I'm not attending SeaFair.
  38. beertunes

Enjoy your visit! There's a ton of great breweries and bars. Big Time is a must hit. Have fun!
  39. Big Time will probably do something for International IPA Day (tomorrow). Last year's Pineapple IPA was awesome.
    beertunes likes this.
  40. I'm heading to Chuck's soon and hope to hit up Fremont UBG tomorrow for IPA Day. I'll definitely enjoy my stay!