1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Visiting Seattle

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by mjryan, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I'm doing Chuck's and Naked City tomorrow for IPA Day in the early afternoon, but I will not being having an IPA at Chuck's. Helllloooo Concepcion!

2. I will be heading up to Seattle in a couple weeks, besides Bottleworks, what are the best bottle shops around town? :)

3. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Bumptaciousness.

4. coldcrush

coldcrush Zealot (85) Colorado Mar 8, 2012

Lots of great options in anticipation of my first trip to Seattle (from Denver) for the SDSU opener at UDub next Saturday. All set on bottle shops & beer bars based on this thread - just a couple additional questions:

1. We're staying in Ballard - any nearby lunch/dinner options w/ solid tap lists & good food that would be more suited for families (3 kids, age 6 & under)?

2. CenturyLink Field - assuming (hoping?) beer will be available for the game. Anything specific I should keep my eye out for there?

3. Finally, if I had time to hit one brewery/tap room is Fremont the obvious choice over somewhere like Hilliards or Reubens which would be closer to where we're staying?

Thanks everyone - any recommendations/advice is appreciated...

5. 1. If I were you, I would take the family to the Barking Dog Alehouse in Ballard. Their food is top-notch for an alehouse (especially the pizzas), it's kid (and dog) friendly, and the taplist is more than solid.

2. Beer has not been served at UW games at Husky Stadium. I've not been to a college football game at CenturyLink, but I would not assume beer will be available. You can go to Elysian Fields (directly across the street from the field) before and after the game.

3. Fremont is definitely a better choice than Hilliard's because their beer is simply better. I can't comment on Reuben's because I haven't been there and I haven't had their beer.

6. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (380) Washington Sep 11, 2011

Haven't been, but http://oldtownalehouse.com might be an option. "Kids welcome!" they proclaim.

7. beertunes

If you can only hit one, I'd suggest Big Time, in the U-District. Not sure if they're all ages though, I seem to think maybe until 8 or something, but I'm not at all certain about that. Enjoy your visit!

Kopfschuss likes this.
  8. Big Time lets kids in until 8 or 9pm. I take my daughter there all the time.

beertunes likes this.
  9. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

Naked City Brewery & Taphouse is just up the hill from Ballard, off Greenwood and 85th. That's a great spot, family friendly, lots of taps and good food.

10. Wow. I wouldn't have said Naked City is "just up the hill from Ballard," though I guess it's kinda close relatively.

11. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

It's a hell of a lot closer than Big Time... and if Barking Dog is considered Ballard, then yeah, it's just up the hill.

Nonetheless, it's a good spot and worth a visit.

12. coldcrush

coldcrush Zealot (85) Colorado Mar 8, 2012

Right on - thanks everyone. Sounds like plenty of options - can't wait to check out some of these spots...

13. I wouldn't say it's "a hell of a lot closer than Big Time." Using trusty ol' Mapquest and Noble Fir as the starting point, it's 3.17 miles to Naked City and 4.00 miles to Big Time. In a car, I'd say they're essentially the same. But if you're using the bus, it's much easier to get to Big Time from Noble Fir (or anywhere else in Ballard that is within easy walking distance to Market St.) --- it's one bus, the 44.

But I will concede your original point. What I meant to convey is that I never thought of Greenwood as being just up the hill from Ballard but it really is.

14. I suggest to try the Cask option at Fremont Urban Beer Garden. Also, Fremont has a toy bin.

15. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (675) Texas Oct 14, 2009

October bump! I have a friend staying downtown. If I ask nicely I think I might be able to get some bottles back my way. What's good, available, and possibly even in cans (for ease of transport)? I'm in SF so we get a lot of the west coasts brews (and I've done Pike's already). Thanks!

16. Cans? You can get Fremont's Universale, Interurban and Harvest right now. You might be able to stumble on some Summer Ale still, too.

17. I know Cooper's Alehouse doesn't get a lot of love in this forum but how can you go wrong with 10 oz. pours of The Abyss for $5, pints of Hop Venom for $6, pints of A-bomb for $5, and 20 oz. pours of nitro Jubeale for $6, etc.?

I'm more than willing to put up with loud music, TVs everywhere, Husky fans, and buxom bartenders for this kind of lineup: http://www.coopersalehouse.com/on-tap.html.

18. Coopers Alehouse is great, I'm surprised at the lack of love it gets. I've still got a Living Social coupon to use there as well...

19. beertunes

You had me until you said "Husky fans".

BuckeyeOne likes this.
  20. I'm returning to Seattle tomorrow. I see Chuck's has more imperial ipas back on tap after the sour beer lineup.

21. beertunes

Since it's the time of year when folks start planning trips and vacations, maybe we could sort of update this thread. Or start a new one, whatevs.

22. beertunes

BUMP!

23. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,235) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Any of these stand out as especially family friendly? Normally I stick to breweries' brewpubs because they're more restaurant-like and have kids menus, with other kids & families there. But sometimes there's a few "bars and eateries" as they're listed in the BA Places section that are also like this. Anything jump out? Thanks.

24. Of those mentioned above, the following are kid-friendly:

All Elysian brewpubs (Capitol Hill, Elysian Fields, Tangletown)
    Pike Brewing
    Fremont Brewing (no food served, but you can bring whatever food you want in - it's now open 7 days and week)
    Naked City
    Hudson Public House

I like all of them except Pike Brewing --- food is good, beer is OK, the wait sometimes is awful (given it's in Pike Place Market).

yemenmocha likes this.
  25. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Savant (260) Minnesota Dec 7, 2012

My wife is going to be in Seattle this weekend with an empty suitcase to fill up, any suggestions on what to grab? I'm up for any style of beer, she focuses more on IPA/IIPAs and stouts. Based on previous responses (thank you BuckeyeOne and BiFrost17) she will most likely be hitting one or more of: Bottleworks, Whole Foods Interbay, Fremont Brewing, and Chucks Hop Shop.

Thanks for the help.

26. beertunes

Grab a few a cans of Fremont's SBW brew. The Gospel IPA by Skagit River is a personal favorite as well.

DBijnagte and draheim like this.
  27. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

It would be a real shame if your wife brought a suitcase full of air when she could fill it with Abrasive, Darkness, etc.
    We like to drink good beer too you know. ;)

DBijnagte likes this.
  28. DBijnagte

DBijnagte Savant (260) Minnesota Dec 7, 2012

I'll try to convince her. The suitcase will be close to full of books and supplies on the way out but there may be a little extra room for misc. goodness. I'll post any updates on her outgoing suitcase here.

29. I made a last minute vacation to Seattle in mid-April to take advantage of super cheap airfare from Detroit. I had no intentions on what to do so my friend decided to plan a Ballard brewery tour. We started at Hale's since it was near Roxy's where we had breakfast. We took our time there waiting for Populuxe to Open. After Populuxe we made it over to Reuben's in time to beat the rush for the cask of double dry hopped Imperial Rye IPA. We made the short hop to Peddler just in time because some freak hailstorm appeared. After that hail cleared up (but not melted) we went around the corner to NW Peaks. I guess we followed the correct path since I kept on seeing familiar faces along the way.

I had a great time at each place and will be back in July.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Trip report:

Wife and I made a quick visit yesterday. Stopped at Black Raven on the way over and did tasters of pretty much everything on tap. We stayed at an airbnb place near Wallingford which was nice for walking.

1st stop - Bottleworks. I had a Ft. George Three Wisemen (remarkably smooth, great beer). My wife had a Fremont Trifecta which was fucking dank. I enjoy drinking at Bottleworks and dispensing unsolicited opinions to indecisive shoppers.

(pause for curry and gelato in Wallingford)

2nd stop - Elysian Tangletown. We shared Death Star and Space Dust. Also had some delicious mussels. This was my first time at the Tangletown pub. It had a nice neighborhood vibe. Looked to be kid friendly. Both beers were the real deal.

3rd stop - Latona, because I'd heard good things. I had a Pfriem BSBA & The Rogue Class of '88. My wife had a cherry cider which tasted like cherry cider. I enjoyed the beers but was disappointed overall with this pub. It really wasn't anything special and the tap list was kind of underwhelming. We also had a tomato bisque which was very good.

4th & final stop - Brouwer's. Yeah, we walked from Latona to Brouwer's. It wasn't too bad. I had a Double Mountain Pale Death, which was delicious. I can't remember what the wife had. Something great I'm sure. We also ate more. Fries and turkey samwich. I felt like we should have foregone Latona for Brouwer's. That place is awesome. I was tempted to splurge on something else from the bottle list but somehow managed to exercise the good judgement not to do so. We took a quick cab ride back to our bed and called it a night.

Overall, a good time and managed to keep it safe by walking. Staying on foot also built in some time between drinks and encouraged water consumption.

beertunes and slinkie like this.
  31. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Sounds like a pretty good day in our fair city (which my family meanwhile escaped for a hike up Tiger Mountain).
    Of all this, the only opinion I have is that Space Dust was good. A little love for Elysian, people.

32. Next time walk to Pine Box. :p

33. Lansman

Lansman Savant (410) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

As someone moving into Seattle this coming Sunday (June 30) from Chicago, I just wanted to chime in here and thank all you awesome BAs for helping contribute to this great guide as I look to replace all the great bars, shops, and restaurants here in the windy city. I look forward to joining your strong community!

34. Welcome.

As an transplanted Midwesterner myself, I'll also let you know some differences between Seattle and Chicago/Midwest:

1. Leave your parka at home. It doesn't get that cold here and none of the houses have closets big enough to hold the damn thing. Invest in polar fleece and Gore-Tex --- layering is the way to go.
    2. The pizza and German food like you can find in Chi-town does not exist out here. There are some decent places but realize that part of your life is over.
    3. Native Seattleites think Seattle is a football town. Don't argue with them. They have no idea what football means in the Midwest and you can't explain it to them. And even if what they do before Seahawks games and UW games they call tailgating, don't you call it tailgating. You'll just feel ashamed in the morning.

35. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Should point out that Seattle is spitting distance from some pretty awesome skiing. So there is need for the cold weather gear if he skis. If he doesn't ski, his life is meaningless anyway.

True, but he's trading it for a shit ton of awesome ethnic food & seafood.

You know they let them play that third-world kicky kicky fall down game on their football field in Seattle?

36. Don't get me started.

37. Lansman

Lansman Savant (410) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Grew up on the east coast and took trips to Vermont to ski every year - skiing is essential to a happy existence and has been sorely lacking in my time living in the Midwest. Food seems comparable on the whole with Chicago (tourist-only deep dish pizza aside), with a huge edge to ethnic and seafood from my frequent trips into the area over the course of the past decade.

Seems like I'll have to adjust to the fact that people actually seem to care about the kicky kicky game in Seattle. We don't really know what that is in Chicago.

BuckeyeOne and leedorham like this.