1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting Surly

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by opwog, Mar 27, 2013.

1. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Before anybody recomends calling Surly, to ask the following questions; trust me, I have tried and nobody answers at any of the extensions.

So here is what I am wondering, that I can't personally figure out even after reading all the info on the Surly site and having not yet been there.

1) Can you visit the brewery outside of the tours? Do they have a tap room/tasting room?

2) "We do not sell pints of beer..." But do they pour free pints of beer during or after the tour or if somebody visits outside of regularly scheduled tour times?

3) If people can not visit the brewery outside of the scheduled tour times, can people visit during tour times even if they are not going to be part of the tour (presumably, if there is a tap/tasting room)?

4) Are there exclusive beers poured at the brewery or even some of the rarer limited releases that may not be readily available?

I don't know if anybody from Surly visits BA, who may be able to answer this, but at the very least, I figure that members from the local community may be familiar enough with their operation to be able to answer these few questions.

Thanks,
    Tom
  2. 1) Can you visit the brewery outside of the tours? Do they have a tap room/tasting room? - during standard business hours you can go to their merchandise shop

2) "We do not sell pints of beer..." But do they pour free pints of beer during or after the tour or if somebody visits outside of regularly scheduled tour times? - no, only for tours and if you are on the tour

3) If people can not visit the brewery outside of the scheduled tour times, can people visit during tour times even if they are not going to be part of the tour (presumably, if there is a tap/tasting room)? - have to be on the tour list

4) Are there exclusive beers poured at the brewery or even some of the rarer limited releases that may not be readily available? - sometimes but you never know what the beers for the tour are
  3. younger35

younger35 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 3, 2007

3) If people can not visit the brewery outside of the scheduled tour times, can people visit during tour times even if they are not going to be part of the tour (presumably, if there is a tap/tasting room)? - have to be on the tour list

Is there actually a tour list? Went last week and they just checked our ID to make sure we were 21 and let us right in.
  4. TIMMYJ21

TIMMYJ21 Aficionado (210) Minnesota Apr 29, 2010

Yes there is a Tour List, Sign up is posted friday morning's and they go quick, there about 3 weeks out. DO not get the idea you can just show up and get in, Not how it works, But you can for sure go to the Mech Store and buy some goodies! That's open to who ever during tour times, and during the week,forgot the time though. No tap room
  5. herman77

herman77 Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

All the times I've been, they find your name on the list and cross it off.
  6. I would just forget about it, hardly sounds like its worth the aggravation. Good beer though!
  7. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

I always look to people from Connecticut for advice on Surly and their brewery;)
  8. Sounds like a homer. Just saying seams like a lot of work for a visit. Again great beer!
  9. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Yes, I poked a little gentle fun at your post, I must be a "homer".
    No other explanation, really.
  10. No aggravation all at.

http://www.surlybrewing.com/brewery/tours.html
    You sign up for a tour date - you wait for the date - date comes - you take the tour.
    If you don't have time to take the tour, you go and buy Surly at the nearest retailer and enjoy.

I really can't imagine that being any simpler.
    But I could be wrong - maybe the breweries in CT have an easier solution to this conundrum.

FYI...
    First line on the tour FAQ:

Tour FAQ:
    Please don't call the brewery with questions about tours. We're busy making beer. If you've read the FAQ below and still have questions, email us at [email protected] and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
  11. opwog

I have never figured out why anybody ever makes a comment about where somebody has their profile set up from. Ironically, I am originally from CT, myself, then moved to CA and now moved to MN. And coincidentally, about a week ago I posted in a CA thread about something and somebody made a similarly snide remark about what does somebody from MN (where my updated profile now shows from) know about the CA beer scene (despite the fact that I lived in CA less than a month ago).

Similarly, in a completely different site called Patch, where profiles are set up by the location of the article that you first decide to sign up to comment to (which has nothing at all to do with where you live), people would similarly make the same type of comments for what they perceived were people uninformed of local issues, based exclusively on where at participants profile was logged.

OK, I know that this is overindulgent to rant like this over something not beer specific and over something that you later claimed was "a little gentle fun," but this type of stuff drives me f'n nuts. When somebody comes out in a public forum and tries to (in any way) to diminish another person's contributions as being less than credible based on where their profile is set up, really makes it sound like the person making such a comment has never ventured very far from their own parents' basement. In no way am I saying that is the case, but for people who have lived lives that have taken them around the country or even the world, may times over; comments like this seem painfully naive.

And while I happened to be from CT, the fact that the post came from somebody logged in from that same state has nothing at all to do with the fact that I completely agree with them. It really isn't worth the agro to deal with a Surly tour given how they handle it. I get that they did a lot to get the laws changed and are planning a new brewery that will probably have a proper tap room and a better organized tour schedule, but it is pretty accurate to say that for anybody living a real life with friends, family, lovers, jobs, etc., that setting up a vist to Surly really is more effort than it is worth right now. I started this thread because I was initially interested in checking them out and I just needed a few things clarified, but as soon as minnesotaryan posted the first reply, I knew that Surly probably isn't that great of a brewery to visit at this time. Their beer is great and there is nothing wrong that expectations have quickly outgrown the realities of what their brewery can handle as far as PR, and I expect that to probably change dramatically with a new facility. When the new place opens, I'll probably be there with bells on.
    minnesotaryan likes this.
  12. if you ever want to meet at steel toe for a size seven, it is easy to get in and way more mellow...
    copslovebeer likes this.
  13. deebo

deebo Savant (415) Minnesota Oct 13, 2006

Of all the brewery tours I've been on, Surly's was the best...by far. It's worth the effort.
    KarlHungus likes this.
  14. Guzzi

Guzzi Aficionado (160) Iowa Nov 19, 2011

Getting into a Surly tour is pretty difficult, but that should get much better when the new brewery is up and running. Whenever that will be...

That being said anyone who had the chance should go at least once. It is a fun experience.
  15. opwog

And for anybody who has ever emailed a brewery (not a specific point of contact, but a general email box), I think that we all know what "as soon as we can" translates into.

Here is a brief list off the top of my head of breweries who I have emailed very simple questions to who never replied at all...

Stone
    Bear Republic
    Boulevard
    Founders
    Sweetwater
    Cigar City
    Bruery
    Indian Wells
    Surly (yes, about two years ago and never received a reply)
    Matt Brewing
    Harpoon
    Flying Dog
    BJ's
    Dogfish Head
    (and really, this is just an abbreviated list off the top of my head...there are literally hundreds of breweries who's generic email boxes I have used over the years that I never received replies from)

Here is the complete list of breweries who ever replied to simple emails sent to generic email boxes:

North Coast
    Kernel Brewery (UK)
    Alaskan
    Oscar Blues

So when breweries say to just email them, generally that translates into them telling you to take a dump in your hat.
  16. agreed, easily the best tour I have ever taken.
  17. I agree, but my Surly tour was private, and include this:
    [​IMG]
    cmannes and deebo like this.
  18. keep tipping my lap top but can't pour into my mouth.
  19. That was in January 2012. Did a 2008-2012 vertical a year later. I am out of 2008-2009, but am thinking of doing a 2010-2012 tasting sometime soon. Let me know if you're interested. I also want to do another Five/Pentagram tasting.
    minnesotaryan likes this.
  20. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I'm pretty burnt out on The Darkness, but, thanks brah.
  21. tharreld

tharreld Initiate (0) Montana May 7, 2010

Schells was and is my favorite brewery tour. Go in the summer.
    Ish1 likes this.
  22. send a BM i am always down to drink beer.
  23. opwog

On my way there today!
  24. onenut

onenut Aficionado (140) Minnesota Aug 16, 2007

Man...I remember the early Surly days of taking my ten minute drive to the brewery on a Saturday morning, waiting in line for a mere five to ten minutes to fill my growlers with something new and glorious, as I was given a complimentary bratwurst that was simmering in a bed of Bender. Good times, indeed. Anyone else remember?