1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Visiting this weekend in Portland - quick question

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by penniwisdom, Jul 24, 2012.

1. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

Any suggestions regarding bottle releases or stuff that is available at any stores right now at any of the beer stores or breweries that I shouldn't miss. Either stuff that I wouldn't know about being from out of town or limited sour releases (does upright have anything cool for sale right now?). I'd imagine finding Peche n Brett or Fantasia will be impossible but I had to ask. Anywhere that seems to constantly have Boneyard Hop Venom on tap? Final question, is there anywhere other than Cascade, Apex, Belmont, and Beer Mongers that I really really shouldn't miss? The whole trip won't be about beer, is only 4 days long, and I plan on multiple visits to Cascade. I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

2. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (225) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

For bars, you should definitely hit up Bailey's Taproom. They always have fairly unique taps.
    http://www.baileystaproom.com/

Also, it's not my favorite, but Green Dragon is literally right across the street from Cascade so you might want to check it out just to see if they're serving anything interesting.
    http://www.pdxgreendragon.com/

Cascade may have some limited edition stuff still (e.g. Strawberry) but they sell pretty fast so you might want visit that first if you can. Otherwise Belmont and Beer Mongers are your best bet for finding stuff.

I don't know about Hop Venom, but there's a new bar that just opened that supposedly has Boneyard RPM on tap. If you haven't had if before I'd recommend checking it out (considered one of the best IPAs in OR). Assuming you like Pliny, I think you'll appreciate it (it is an explosion of hops in your mouth).
    http://streetcarbistro.com/

3. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

apex is the only place that always seems to have venom, including boneyard's tasting room.

4. NWer

NWer Advocate (670) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Upright is open weekends & worth considering.
    I read someplace that there will be lane closures on I-5 in Portland this weekend so try to avoid the mess if possible.
    And of course there's the OBF: http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

5. boMD

boMD Savant (325) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

Fifteenth Ave. Hophouse had Hop Venom on tap last night. My guess is that there has been a recent delivery of kegs to town. So keep looking out.

6. ramnuts

ramnuts Aficionado (245) Oregon Feb 16, 2009

Mainbrew in Hillsboro has Hop Venom on tap at all times. It is the house beer.

7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,130) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I can confirm that it is on tap at Apex as of yesterday afternoon. The Concordia Alehouse website also indicates that they currently have it on tap.

8. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Hair of the Dog is a must stop while you are in town and I agree with NWer that Upright needs to be a stop as well. They should have some Sole Comp Lactovasillios left.

9. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (465) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

FWIW, Apex's tap list is fed directly to their website, so it' pretty much always up to date. As John already confirmed, they do have Hop Venom on right now.

Other stuff going on:
    • Apex is hosting a Firestone Walker tap takeover on Friday, so there should be 10-12 FW beers on that night, including some thing like Lil Opal Saison that we never see in Oregon.
    • Roscoes is having an "All Oregon Beer Summit" all weekend.
    • Deschutes is supposedly tapping Black Butte XIV starting Friday.
    • East Burn is having a massive pig roast and tapping a bunch beers from neighborhood breweries.
    • Belmont Station is hosting a Green Flash night on Friday featuring a bunch of beer that never comes to Oregon including a firkin of West Coast IPA. Chuck Silva himself will also be on hand pouring samples of all their bottles. On Saturday we have Fringe Fest, featuring tastings and drafts from a bunch of breweries that aren't at the OBF: The Commons, Falling Sky, Harvester, Heater Allen, Hop Valley, Pfriem Family Brewers, Solera, Basecamp, and 2 firkins from Brewers Union
    Also worth noting is that Rogue is running free hourly shuttles between the festival, their pub in the Pearl, the Green Dragon, and the Horse Brass. You can use this to get around to numerous hot spots for free all weekend. For example, getting off the bus at their Pearl location puts you (via walking) 5 minutes from Deschutes, 8-10 minutes from Bridgeport, and 12-15 minutes from Baileys. Getting off at the Green Dragon puts you across the street from Cascade and about 10 minutes (again, on foot) from Hair of the Dog. Riding up to the Horse Brass also puts you within 5 blocks of the Station, plus a 8-10 minute walk from Hawthorne Hop House and everything else on upper Hawthorne.

NWer likes this.
  10. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

You guys have all been extremely helpful with these responses. Thank you so much for your time, efforts, and information. I greatly appreciate it. I really look forward to enjoying your city and its beer. If you're ever in San Francisco and have questions about the area or anything feel free to hit me up.
    Thanks again!

11. John_M

Did Deschutes change the release date for the BB XIV? The website, and I think facebook, all indicate that the release event will take place tomorrow.

12. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (465) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I pulled Friday off of the Brewers Guild Website, which is generally accurate, but I'd trust Deschutes' FB page in this case.

13. John_M

When in doubt, speak to a live person. I just called over there and the release event is inded tomorrow.

14. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Hmm, I should get ready to bumrush the nearest fred meyers then.