1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Visiting VT Next Month - What's Available?

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by phishbfm, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

I'm heading to Ludlow, VT in March to ski Okemo. What will I be able to get while I'm there?? I see Heady Topper is year round but is it hard to find/grab? What else should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks ahead of time.
  2. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Heady topper is regularly available at the cannery; however they only can two days per week and usually sell out by the next day. The canning days were previously Monday and Thursday but someone in a forum recently said its now Monday and Wednesday; I'd call the Alchemist to confirm. Hill Farmstead is usually only available at the brewery or on draft around the area (Three Penny Taproom and Prohibition Pig). Lawsons is sold at some stores (Warren Store and Hunger Mountain Co-Op).
  3. So Heady Topper is literally only available from the cannery? It looks like Ludlow is about an hour away...still tempting.
  4. not only at the Cannery but it's not available in Ludlow.

I was at Okemo for SuperBowl weekend and there was no HF, Lawsons and Heady within an hour's drive....that I found at least. Plenty of other great beer but if your looking for the Big3 you need to head north.
  5. No, it's found at some stores, bars and restaurants in the area. Here's a list to where they distribute:
    http://www.alchemistbeer.com/retail-availability/

The stores sell out of it quickly, FYI.
  6. Actually...nevermind...much farther now. I guess it moved to Waterbury. Crap.

So what should I look for around Ludlow?
  7. Ludlow is unfortunately located down in the "black hole" of state beer distribution for Heady/HFB/Lawson's. Heady may get down there soon with their expansion, but the others are self-distributed and rarely make an appearance in southern VT. Maybe Flashy or deanhead will chime in to help you out - both denizens of that part of the state. People who come for ski vacations in southern VT are mostly SOL unless you like some of our other, larger breweries that are distributed state-wide. Northern VT just has way more of everything, beer-wise - closest for you would likely be Hunger Mtn. Co-op in Montpelier - still a mighty long drive for beer if you are only here for a weekend.
  8. Miracles DO happen - Whetstone in Brattleboro just tapped a keg of HFB Edward according to FB. If you cannot find any bottles, at least you may find some goods on tap nearby!
  9. There's a real nice bottleshop in Ludlow called Brewfest Beverage, they have a very good selection of bottles and they also do growler fills. Look for Backacre Sour Golden Ale by a small brewer in Weston which I picked up at Brewfest. The closest I've found any HF is south of Ludlow in the town of Chester at The Pizza Stone, could be hit or miss, I would call first .......
  10. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Made a special trip to Whetstone for the Edward and it hasn't been tapped yet, but would be sometime this week. They said they have been getting calls from all over about it- crazy we are.
  11. dciBA

dciBA Savant (370) Maine Dec 23, 2007

Proof that this community has lost perspective. It's now about the brewery name and the mystique/rarity surrounding it. Edward is a nice brew, but it's a pale ale. Are people really trying to cram into that place at the exact moment a sixtel of edward is tapped because they love american pale ales or so they can tweet/instagram/untappd about that time they got to drink Hill Farmstead.

I also think it's funny that people will drive an hour to get a pint of Edward for I'm guessing around 6 bucks but will scoff at a bottle of MBC Mo at thier local beer store for around 6 bucks because Maine beer are a bunch of greedy price gougers. That topic has already been discussed though ;)
    Dmbphoenix and InspectorBob like this.
  12. Just come to Vermont , use Worthy Burger as your southerly most point and drink your way north!
    franklinn likes this.
  13. At a Lord Hobo Edward lasted a few days and that is in Cambridge, but the keg of Abner they put on Thursday night didn't last too long. So noone was cramming in for Edward.
  14. I'll definitely have to look for Brewfest Beverage...thanks for the rec.
  15. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

While I do agree with your point about people being willing to drive so far to buy a pint of Edward, the cost comparison isn't the same. $6 for Edward at the bar is not the same as $6 for Mo at a bottle shop. At Hill Farmstead (the bottle shop equivalent for Edward) it works out closer to $3.55 a pint. So while I don't personally think MBC beers are "overpriced," they tend to be more expensive than many high caliber beers of the same style.

And while Mo is good, it's no Edward. So yes people driving an hour to buy a pint at a bar is kind of crazy, but it's not just for hype. It's to be able to drink better beer than they otherwise could. The same goes for Heady. I don't drive to Vermont to buy Heady because of the hype. I drive to Vermont to buy Heady because it's better than any DIPA I can buy in New York. Simple as that.
  16. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

The thing that may be lost, is Vermont is a rural state. Driving an hour to do something isn't out of the norm. The closest bar for me is a 30ish min drive.
    ILOVESTOUTS and franklinn like this.
  17. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (305) Vermont Sep 14, 2007

rumors are that Heady may be available here in the VT banana belt in the not too distant future. I would think Brewfest Bev would be one of the first to receive it if that is the case.

Not VT-made, but some great Oregon breweries have started sending their beers to VT as an east coast distribution outpost point...check out 10-Barrel & Gigantic, two of which i've been pretty impressed with.
    phishbfm likes this.
  18. Fingers crossed that this "not too distant future" is in the next few weeks!:)
  19. deanhead

deanhead Savant (480) Vermont Sep 2, 2005

Ummm....don't count on it.
    You may have some luck finding HF at the Pizza Stone in Chester. Medetrina in Chester (very close to the Pizza Stone) has a gerat selection of local beers as well. No growler filling station, but good wine, cheese and beer.
    I'll be up there this weekend with my kids skiing. Enjoy and have fun conditions have been pretty decent considering the lack of snow.
  20. Thanks for the tips! Enjoy this weekend and let me know if you find anything good!
  21. Pretty new here and you're right, too easy to get wrapped up in the madness ;)

I have a more specific question than originally stated. We're headed up to VT soon. I was initially thinking of hitting the Worthy Burger on the way up for some grass fed burgers, then picp up Heady Topper at the Cannery, then ski and maybe hit HillFarmstead on the way down.

But seeing how HT may not even be available and HF may be out of the way, I stil lwant ot explore the other good stuff you guys have up that way.

So.....taking 91 North then up 89 toward Smugglers Notch. Are there any recommended beverage centers, ALONG THESE ROADS, that have a great selection of taps on hand for growler fills? Looking for good selections from VT that are not necessarily HT or HF.

peace!
  22. dunix

Rock Art Brewery is the only place you'll pass, that has growlers - some of their beers are pretty good, some not so much. You'll at least be able to get a taster of Heady at the brewery, even if it is out of cans. Make sure you stop in Waterbury so you can get HF on draft (no growler fills tho)
  23. Rock Art is like 45 minutes off 89 on VT-100, which can be on the way to smuggs, but not the quickest way.

be aware that VT-108 from Stowe to smuggs is closed in the winter.
    quickest way is to go 89->117->15
  24. dunix

Going Rt 100 through Morrisville, will add about 15~ mins to the drive, and you'll not find any beer stops on 117/15. At least on Rt 100, you'll pass by Alchemist, Trapp, Crop (now serving their own beer), and Rock Art.
    brownswisscow likes this.
  25. deanhead

deanhead Savant (480) Vermont Sep 2, 2005

The I-91 corridor in VT below 89 has a few places worth checking out. From the Mass border to WRJ you can find a few distractions along the way.

Brattleboro has the Whetstone Station, Flat Street Pub, and McNeill's. Despit not having grolwer fills, alll three are worthy of a quick stopover for a beer. While the Brattleboro food coop does not have growler fills, they do have a solid selection of local and regional craft beer for purchase.

Windsor has the often overlooked and underated Harpoon Brewery. They sell growlers and may do fills. Massive beer hall with food, beer, and everything Harpoon. First rate rock solid beers and well worth a visit in my opinon.

West Lebanon, NH (just over the Connecticut river on 89 South) has the Seven Barrel Brewery. They do growler fills and serve some decent beer along with regular pub faire.

Norwich (five miles north of WRJ & 89 on I-91 ) has The Norwich Inn which house Jasper Murdocks Alehouse. Bottles on sale in store nearby. Call ahead about the growler fills.

I-89 Corridor has some solid choices too.

Woodstock has Hops and Barley which does growler fills. Always a treat to stop here. It's about 7-10 minutes off I-89. Worth considering as they have several taps for growler fills. Local and regional craft beer selections.

Randolph has Fenix Fine Foods. Great beer and cheese selections. Can't recall if they do Growler fills.

Montpelier has the Hunger Mountain Coop. They have a great selection of bottles and fill growlers.

That's all I got. Maybe the Duchess can chime in on the growler fills North of MontBeerlier.