1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Visiting Washington, What Beers?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by beerguy2784, Apr 5, 2012.

1. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate

I'm going to be in the Seattle area for a day next week. What beers should I look out for to bring back with me to the east coast? I'm thinking any RR I can find, but what else should I keep an eye out for?
  2. distantmantra

distantmantra Member

Fremont's Cowiche Canyon Organic Hop Lab IPA and their Bourbon Abominable Ale.

You should be able to get the RR -ation beers at Whole Foods, QFC in U-Village and most dedicated bottle shops. Don't know if Pliny will be here then, don't think so.
  3. Aml42000

Aml42000 Member

Agreed on Fremont. Stuff from Sound Brewing, Schooner Exact, Elysian, Odin and some Oregon stuff like HUB and Oakshire. If you make it to West Seattle, check out Beer Junction and Beveridge Place, check out Brouwers Cafe in Fremont if you can.
  4. draheim

draheim Member

Really hoping I have time to pick up a couple Hop Labs tomorrow, I've been looking everywhere but to no avail. Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop was one of the best IPAs I've ever had - including Alpine, Pliny, etc. Fremont's Bourbon Abominable is still @ Chuck's 85th.

OP, apparently some fresh Pliny's in town, just got a message from Beer Junction today that they have it. Otherwise I'd grab some HotD Adam and Fred, Elysian Nelson Sauvin, American Breakaway, Hopworks IPA... there's plenty of great beer to choose from. Enjoy your visit!
  5. distantmantra

distantmantra Member

Oooh, Pliny is in. My brother-in-law from D.C. is going to be here in a few a weeks, and I'd like to give him a bottle.
  6. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate

Thanks for the advice on BottleWorks and Pliny and HotD. I've been calling all over the place for people to hold bottles for the day I'm there, but they all say they are out of pliny. I'm gonna be on the east side of Seattle.
  7. draheim

draheim Member

My experience is that Whole Foods Interbay or Roosevelt might hold a bottle of Pliny for you, especially if you explain the circumstances. Interbay just puts it out on the floor like any other beer. What a revolutionary concept.
  8. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Member

If you're going to be on the east side of Seattle, visit Malt and Vine in Redmond. If Beer Junction got Pliny in today, then it's possible if not likely that Malt and Vine also got theirs.
  9. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate

I called BottleWorks, BottlezUp, and Malt and Vine, but none had Pliny. I called Beer Junction and they said they can't hold any and they have a one-per-person limit. Whole foods in Roosevelt told me to call later. Whole foods in interbay said they don't have any. Thanks
  10. optophobia

optophobia Member

How many do you want. I'll pick you up one or two and you can message me to arrange to meet up and get them off me.
  11. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate

I'd like at least 4 since I'm going through all the trouble and want to enjoy them with someone, but I'll take what I can get. I will be at Beer junction around 4 or 5pm next Friday to see if I can at least get the one. It would be cool to get more, but my schedule is tight and I'll only have a 3 hour window or so.

I don't know how easy it is to pack these in a check-in rolling bag, but I was thinking I would bring 4 styrafoam tubes for the bigger bottles and use towels for the smaller ones. I just hope it's not too heavy or hazard. This is my wish list:

HotD Fred x2 (4lbs)
    HotD Adam x2 (4lbs)
    pliny x4 (8lbs)
    rr Supplication (4lbs)
    rr Temptation (4lbs)
    rr Consecration (4lbs)
    rr Sanctification (4lbs)
    bag, towels, tubes (10lbs)
    total 42 lbs

I think those are all overestimates, I still have an 8lb buffer, and I don't think I will find all that stuff, so it should be less.
  12. draheim

draheim Member

I haven't seen Sanctification anywhere for a while. Supplic-, Tempt-, and Consecr- ations are all usually available but sometimes not all @ the same place. Pretty sure I just saw them all @ Special Brews up north of Lynnwood (a long drive), Morgan @ Beer Junction will probably have them too. Chuck's 85th usually has these as well. Fred & Adam you can find pretty easily, even at good grocery stores.
  13. distantmantra

distantmantra Member

Check Trader Joe's on Roosevelt in the U-District, too. They always have one or two RR -ations for the lowest prices in the city.
  14. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Member

I don't know if you've flown with beer before, but you're going way overboard with the styrofoam tubes. I've brought beer in my checked luggage more than a dozen times. Bubblewrap is the most secure I'd bother going with. Usually, I just wrap beer in my clothes. I've never had a bottle break.

And, as others have said, all of those beers can be found around Seattle and in Redmond.
  15. distantmantra

distantmantra Member

If you're planning on getting HotD, get a bottle of Blue Dot. Winter 2012 is available.

Also, I'd say cut back on the Plinys and get some more local stuff. Fremont makes good beer.
    draheim and beertunes like this.
  16. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate

Yeah, I've never flown with beer before. I will just use towels then, thanks for the advice.

I will definitely pick up 22s of blue dot and cowiche canyon if I see them, but I didn't think I would and I can't go to the brewery. Bringing home a six pack seems like it would be too much weight, but I don't know.
  17. distantmantra

distantmantra Member

I bring beer back from the midwest whenever I visit my in-laws in Nebraska. Zip-lock bags and bubble wrap does the trick just fine.
  18. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate

Are the HotD "from the wood" releases distributed in Washington too?
  19. distantmantra

distantmantra Member

Not this time around. And they'd be long gone by now. You might be able to track down some Doggie Claws (which is fantastic), but that's it.
  20. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate

21. draheim

draheim Member

Very nice. Cowiche Canyon was pretty hard to find around town (I finally got a couple bottles up in Lynnwood); glad you found Sanctification - I guess a new batch just arrived in time for your visit, I picked up one of those yesterday as well. Hope you enjoyed your visit!
  22. dirtylou

dirtylou Member

All great beer - shame none of it is from Washington.

Drinking a Cowiche right now.
  23. Slamminson

Slamminson Member

Diamond Knot Industrial IPA
  24. sukwonee

sukwonee Member

You have to try Boneyard beers (although only available on tap at certain places). Surprisingly, Taphouse downtown Seattle had Boneyard's RPM IPA - it was awesome.

As for bottles, you should bring back some BB Abominable (if you can't find any), Singularity, Old Cellar Dweller, Fat Tug, HotD stuff, and you also might be able to find some Upright beers and Cascade sours.
  25. beerguy2784

beerguy2784 Initiate

I should have gotten Leader Madness.