1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Vlad Release

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by Shmeal, Jan 29, 2013.

1. They have taken the North Coast marketing model. Overprice and let it sit there.

libbey, vkv822 and NWer like this.
  2. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

I thought about that after I posted, but I don't think that's the thrust of the argument a number of us have made:

There's nothing else comparable to Matt (at least in my experience) making it worth $15 to me (or even $20 as is the price of the 3 I bought in December. 20 is my upper limit for the 2010 version; I didn't like the BW X). Also, I can't make the argument it's overpriced because it sells out quickly at that cost. It might be too expensive per individual, but since the beer was gone inside a week, it doesn't fit the description economically.

I'll even pay this exact price, broken into 2 bottles. (Beatification b.5) because the beer is, to me, world class. Vlad, on the other hand, is not (IMO, of course). On top of this, I can buy a comparably world class beer for 10 dollars less right now, and the price starts to look less reasonable, and even less when, it took 6 months (a year, even?) at 22 dollars to leave the shelves around town. (So, economically, the beer is overpriced because no one was buying it at 8 dollars less.) So yeah, I think Cascade is really reaching here.

digita7693 likes this.
  3. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (645) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Maybe the apocalypse is really in February; Luke I completely agree wih you twice in the same thread!

Cheers
    Don

jgrgas likes this.
  4. Sarlacc83

We're all dead then, because you agreed with me that Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich and Lagunitas Sucks are awesome and Jade IPA was terrible.

5. digita7693

Shit, maybe I am just as jaded (read correct) as you are;)

Sarlacc83 likes this.
  6. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

So all your previous arguments were faked in order to reveal this one, inexorable truth....

7. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

I'm trying something different. For lent I am giving up anything that doesn't come in a sixer. this is an attempt to recalibrate my buying behaviors. Cascade makes it easy... Block 15 makes it difficult.

distantmantra and kscaldef like this.
  8. Shmeal

You forget upright.

9. ggfunk

I hate you.

10. Shmeal

I'm King Douche remember?

11. ggfunk

How could I forget?

12. Lent only starts on Feb. 13th. You can still get your Pappy's and Super Neb!

13. ggfunk

Yeah but what day Is the hop n vine event?

14. KiMiRaiK

KiMiRaiK Initiate (0) Washington Dec 24, 2012

Indeed. The bruery is insanely overrated/overpriced! The only one to break out of a score of 3.75 (that I have tried and purely IMO) was Rueuze last night... Sadly, there is something about them that keeps making me REALLY want to like them (pretty bottles? From my home state of CA? shat if i know...)

I have Tilquin in the fridge. Later tonight or tomorrow I'll be able to decide how Rueuze stands up to it.

15. RuckusDu

RuckusDu Savant (415) Colorado Mar 23, 2011

Anybody seeing this online yet? Should be there by now, right?

16. Nope not yet.

17. vkv822

vkv822 Advocate (610) Oregon Nov 30, 2009

"Argh, technical issues! Vlad will be online by 1 pm. Don't worry, there's plenty to go around!" just posted by Cascade.

18. Technical issues!
    Vlad priced at 30 dollars!
    Wait - um, nevermind.

hopsbreath likes this.
  19. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Yep, technically that is an issue

bgramer, oregone, Sarlacc83 and 3 others like this.
  20. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Nice haiku.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  21. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (335) Washington Nov 22, 2012

This is my two cents on the pricing issue. In the nineties comic books did what beer is doing now: it ballooned. Fancy foil covers, special editions, ten different variant covers and all at extortionist rates. Then the balloon popped and everyone's death of superman is worth diddly shit. Just remember that when your dropping that kinda dough on a brew. It just ends up as your piss in a few hours.

22. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

I don think that's a horrible analogy as there seems to be a boom In interest for the special limited releases and their production. The wine industry has been cranking out expensive bottles for quite some time though...

23. True, but in the end a comic is just a comic. A limited beer is still (hopefully) delicious and drinkable.

24. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

$30 plus shipping is just a bit much. It's a great beer, but I just can't justify the price.

25. black13

black13 Savant (420) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

I live in Portland and can't justify the price. No Vlad for me.

digita7693 and RedMedicine like this.
  26. SGToliver

Yes, and in the end your beer is just piss in the toilet. At least a comic can hold value longer than you holding your wang at the urinal.

27. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Tell that to my sets of Pokemon cards from my childhood. I literally have the Dirty Horse of American pokemon cards sitting in my closet right now. My (at one time) $500 valued 1st Edition Charizard doesn't taste nearly as delicious as some of the whales out there :mad:

KiMiRaiK likes this.
  28. oregone

Have you given it a second chance? I used to hate Brussels sprouts...

29. Sarlacc83

Try soaking it in B-Bomb.

30. KiMiRaiK

Had a 1st Edition Charizard, that shat was hot on the streets, but you couldn't pay a card shop to take it off your hands... $500 my ash (ketchum)

checktherhyme likes this.
  31. SGToliver

Some of you are just validating my point about the ballooning effect.

32. KiMiRaiK

Your 90s comic book reference, does not seem too relevant in the case of overpriced brew. As I'm guessing, not too many ppl buy a bottle, for the soul purpose of sitting on it for years, in hopes of selling for a profit.

If a bottle of beer equates to nothing more then piss in a bowl, and you don't take into account, the fun of trying, examing, reviewing, socializing, that said beer brings. Then isn't even spending $1 on a bottle overpriced, and what you, everyone on this site, and i, are doing, is pointless and a complete waste of time/money? After all, in the end, it's just piss.

Lordkrystic likes this.
  33. KiMiRaiK

As for this theory, I can only hope it's true. As once the balloon "pops" hopefully prices will go down and my fridge will be full. ;)

34. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (735) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Cascade posted that there's still Vlad for sale. So, I win the bet right? I hope someone sends me a cable car.

35. oregone

They may end up posting that a few more times yet.

36. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Aficionado (225) Oregon Nov 27, 2008

Seriously, I never thought I'd say this about Cascade but I hope this release majorly flops so they will be forced to re-examine their pricing strategy.

NWer, bfg75, MykelJH and 6 others like this.
  37. Next release is the Vine. $20. That's up $2 from last year. Sadly, I most likely won't be buying cascade beers going into the future. Tap only at this point seems way more affordable.

38. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (455) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

$6/8oz pour works out to just over $19 for the equivalent of a 750ml bottle, so while it may be a bit cheaper it's still spendy.

39. I realize this. I only have to spend $6-8 to enjoy the beer though. Not $20-30 for the bottle. That's all.

m4ttj0nes likes this.
  40. digita7693

hardly, at $8.50/8oz on some beers :( Let me fix this for you... "I most likely won't be buying cascade beers going into the future. Upright and The Commons only at this point seems way more affordable." cheers