1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Voodoo Brewing Barrel Room Collection

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Holmes698, Jan 23, 2013.

1. get there by 4 Friday
  2. dmac621

dmac621 Aficionado (180) New Jersey Nov 26, 2008

You should leave now:)
  3. [​IMG]

waxing underway
  4. That is Sexy!
    CarolinaKevin likes this.
  5. baybum

baybum Savant (445) Pennsylvania Feb 10, 2011

After that photo I might just head out now to get in line...
  6. Jwiss22

Jwiss22 Disciple (70) Pennsylvania Feb 10, 2009

I'm hoping that cowbell will be on draft!
    drperry11 likes this.
  7. we posted this on our facebook page... jswiss you'll be in luck

who wants a sneak peak at the barrel room collection release tap list for 3.23??

4 Seasons IPA
    Wynona's Big Brown Ale
    Pilzilla
    Gran Met
    Voodoo Love Child
    White Magick of the Sun

Cowbell
    Big Black Voodoo Daddy

Grande Negro Voodoo Papi- A special batch of BBVD brewed with maple syrup, whole Madagascar vanilla beans, and cinnamon then aged on ghost chili peppers for just the right amount of heat. (Limited Quantities)

2 Live Gran Cru Greatest Hits Volume 1- Curt's blend of Black Magick and Big Black Voodoo Daddy aged in Pappy Van Winkle Barrels for 15 months. (Limited Quantities)

Cask: 2 Live Gran Cru Greatest Hits Volume 2- Curt's blend of our new wee heavy, Tenacious Wee and our yet to be named barlewine aged in Pappy Van Winkle barrels for 12 months. (Limited Quantities)

PLUS 4 additional seasonal pub-only beers, depending on what we have at the time
    Psykhe, ThePorterSorter and corby112 like this.
  8. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

RVA will be representing. I'm so pumped for this release, maybe more pumped about the food voodoo serves...
    duceswild likes this.
  9. Wow, that sounds amazing! Wish I could make it but I live six hours away.
  10. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

I'm 7.5 hours away and I'm DEFINITELY going. No excuses!!!
    CarolinaKevin, xnicknj and corby112 like this.
  11. Come find me/the pittsburgh crew Friday night so we can share some beers. It would be an honor to have you.
    SpeedwayJim likes this.
  12. Yeah, if I could get the time off of work I would have booked a room and made the trip but I'm taking a week off and going to San Diego on the 26th.
  13. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

When I finalize my plans I'll def. like you guys know!
  14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

why must this fall on the weekend of my child's birthday?
    blkcld likes this.
  15. For those of us, who do not live near Lake Erie, I`ll keep my fingers crossed that the release in Chalfont, is still is a great time. :)
    dborginis likes this.
  16. mikeyv35

mikeyv35 Savant (365) New York Oct 15, 2008

I am a little closer big guy and I am attending as well.
    Axic10 likes this.
  17. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I'd there any info on the chalfont blue dog release? Is it the same day? Bottle count? Etc...
  18. baybum

baybum Savant (445) Pennsylvania Feb 10, 2011

Chalfont release is 4/27. 75% went to Meadville and 25% will be at blue dog. So these bottle counts account for 75% of the entire release.
  19. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

anyone interested in doing any IP trades at Voodoo?
  20. kcbaby

kcbaby Savant (260) Massachusetts Jun 30, 2010

what would you like from Texas?
  21. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

He wants Freetail sours!
    ncaudle likes this.
  22. kcbaby

kcbaby Savant (260) Massachusetts Jun 30, 2010

If only mine hadn't come and gone. JK sours are all over though.
  23. To Stop Line Cutters...why don't they (Voodoo) go out every hour and hand out wristbands (or something like that) to the people in line. That way the people who are waiting to longest are able to get their tickets because they will have a wrist band and then when someone cuts in line they won't be able to get a ticket at 10 am because they (Voodoo) will know they weren't waiting in line early on?

It would suck to wait inline and be number 87 thinking you will get a full allotment and then people cut near the front (where you have no control to fight them) and then you get screwed.
  24. I don't use BA that much and haven't really posted a lot of stuff (read: anything), but I will be bringing a few things down to the event with me. I don't know if any of my stuff is the caliber of what you guys have but I am up for sharing some beers.
  25. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Troegs did something like this for Splinter Black, which was probably one of the best ideas for a release I've ever seen. As you arrived, you went inside, got a NUMBERED wrist band, and they wrote down your name with the corresponding number. Then you were free to go freeze to death outside, pass out in your car, take shelter in a local diner, whatever.

Giving people numbered wristbands/tickets/etc as they actually get there is one of the only ways to stop the ridiculous line cutting at nearly every release these days.
    claaark13 and Retail1LO like this.
  26. Here's the question... At what time do you start handing out bracelets? Next thing you know people are waiting in line for, and cutting in line, for those. lol
  27. That would be up to the brewery. They will probably be there preparing extremely early so have someone go through the line at that time and hand out bracelets in order. If you're number ten and your buddy is taking a leak, he goes back to the end of the line. The brewery could announce the time they are doing this in advance so you know when not to leave your spot.

28. Voodoo has nothing to do with this. It is Blue Dog's call.
  29. I know but I was just saying in general that the brewery, or in this case, the bar could come up with a better system then what's in place.

30. Was not trying to sound like a know it all, was just trying to explain who makes the call here. When it looks like the way it is going to go, you can only think that BD wants it this way. They could do something akin to scratch offs like the old Kate the Great, could simply to something like Wrigley tickets where you get a one bracelet that is numbered and then simply pick the # that starts the line so there is no incentive to stay up all night, etc. personally, I think that is the best way to do it.
  31. No problem. You didn't come across that way at all. I agree with everything you just posted. Any effort to eliminate the chaos is better than nothing.
  32. This one could not be good. Realistically when you have 200 people in front of you in a line for a 500 bottle release you might not even have line cutters in your line of sight. Considering how small the bottle count here is anyone who cuts even that the very front of the line will screw someone out of bottles who made a big investment of time to get these. That is very different when people might not even realize that someone cut in line. Realistically, people will start lining up for this at 9PM the night before is my call and this has some chance to turn out not so good.
  33. I'd like to go to my first beer release, but I'll be traveling from Brooklyn. Will I have to take a day off work on Friday to drive the 6+hours to get in line?
  34. blkcld

blkcld Aficionado (245) New Jersey May 19, 2010

Gonna def try and make this as well.
  35. All the above are concerns of mine, and I have discussed these with several BA's.
    I like the wristband thing, though it doesn't seem it will happen this time around.
    I am worried the same thing will happen as with the CFH release 2 weeks ago in Cali. I was not there, but my buddy was around 50th in line at 5am. Then when the bottles went on sale, he was around 200th in line, because of all of the cutters.
    If there weren't assholes that feel the need to cut in line, we wouldn't need to worry about all this, and find ways to blame the brewery for better methods. Get there, line up, be honest. You get shut out, so be it. It was your fault for getting there too late. But when some cock gets in line at 2am, and let's his 8 buddies join him in line a half hour before the bottles go on sale, that is just not right. It's just beer, people. Those 8 assholes just want to trade for a Rare, or a Vanilla.
    Further, a small brewery like Voodoo might love a mess, as it will add hype to their product and their brewery...
  36. Never once, in all my time on this board have I ever heard a fuss made over Voodoo. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find any ISO or FT thread posted that was based around any VooDoo beer. But Jesus H. Christ, make one mention of a release, and the words "barrel aged" and suddenly everyone that previously had no interest, is in line at 2AM with an FT post up hours later. I'm convinced that's all any brewer needs to do to draw a crowd. Put your stuff in barrels and say "Wait outside for a day, and you can have some of our beer that you previously had no interest in or knowledge about. Oh yeah...and tap MAC because shit's gonna be expensive." It appears these events/releases are what's now carrying the hobby. If not for the sheer amount of work that goes into these, among other limitations, I'm sure breweries would do these constantly. Sort of like FFF churning out a BA beer every week for $30+. I surely wish the best for Voodoo, hope everyone has a good time and drinks good beer, and that most folks get what they're looking for when they attend the release. :)
    Stigs, kylep3, SpeedwayJim and 3 others like this.
  37. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Very true rgarding the BA craze, but the Voodoo brews are exceptional. Definitely above the rest.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  38. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Then you haven't been around here long enough.

Time was when Big Black Voodoo Daddy was quite the sought after beer, & there were plenty of ISO:FT posts for it...for good reason, because it's delicious. This isn't a Johnny-come-lately brewery, but a place that's been around & has been pumping out good beer for years.

I'd love to try some of this stuff, & good for Voodoo for branching out.
    Retail1LO and SpeedwayJim like this.
  39. I don't disagree with this statement but it's kind of hilarious coming from you.

edit: Also it's not universally true. Dock Street's bottle releases are never crowded for example.