1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Voodoo Brewing Barrel Room Collection

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Holmes698, Jan 23, 2013.

1. this comes to mind:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...rbon-county-vanilla-king-henry-or-bbpt5.8907/

2. I know it was a blanket statement about releases (and maybe you are right in most cases) but in talking about Voodoo IMO the beers are priced reasonably and by no means expensive. I don't think there is any need to hit the MAC to get their beers. Plus Voodoo has been up front with everything regarding this release. So will people have to wait outside for the beers? Yes. Will it probably snow? Yes, its Meadville. (let's hope not though) There are just some things that breweries can't control when doing releases but as long as they are up front with people, how could anyone be mad? Yeah it would suck to wait outside and be 50th in line but then people cut in the front where you have no control, and you get shut out of a full allotment, but that's not really the brewer's fault. People at the events should stick together. I know if you are in the front of the line and are guaranteed to get your allotment you aren't going to get into a conflict to stop a cutter, but maybe we should?

Anyways, it's not Voodoo's fault if people line up tomorrow for this release next weekend, but they have been upfront with everything regarding this event and are just looking to bring a some fun to Meadville. They are roasting a pig, blocking off the street, and allowing bottle sharing outside. What more can you ask for in this small town?

I for one am excited to set up a bag chair (at whatever time is needed, without complaint), hang out with my sister, her bf and my wife, eat delicious food (which their food is just as good as the beer!) and share some good beers.

Cheers

3. Yeah...I do indeed want to reiterate that my statement wasn't about Voodoo directly. Just in general. I agree with you in regards to being upfront. If they tell you how it's going to be, and you agree to run the gauntlet, you have to be comfortable with whatever results may come. From the sound of it, it sounds like they're going way above and beyond what's typical to foster an outstanding environment, and give everyone an event that can be enjoyed in one capacity or another. I think anyone who's into the big picture and has their head in the right place, won't be able to help but have a good time.

4. That's kinda a large blanket statement, no? I mean...there are a LOT of exceptional BA brews out there. Which barrel aged Voodoo offerings have you had thus far? :)

5. Yeah I figured that it was a blanket statement and just a generalization. My response wasn't to you directly. I just have been reading this post (since it was created) and thought why not throw in my two cents and do the opposite of most others and defend the fact that Voodoo has been upfront with everything and trying to just make this a fun, beer drinking event. Would I like to sit outside for 12-15+ hours...probably not (depending on the weather especially) but at least they are trying to make it a fun event and that's all we can ask for! My sister and her bf are coming and we would just probably have dinner and go home and have some beers, so why not hang out with a bunch of other people and make the most of the event. Its just a bummer we won't be bringing our 17 month old (it will be too crowded for Friday dinner) she loves their food!!

Retail1LO likes this.
  6. The last batch of Black Magick was delicious.

MarkIntihar, dborginis and maximum12 like this.
  7. E
    C'mon. I'm up for this. Let's make this a demonize Hayden day. :p

Even got that one done. Twice. I'd had someone offer me something in that ISO for a growler. Since I got offered it from someone else, I figured I'd take a stab at getting some more stuff along those lines if there were people willing to. Really though, that's the only Voodoo product anyone had ever asked me to get for them. I've sent out plenty of BBVD as extras though, and it's always been enjoyed.

8. I agree...it was indeed a very nice brew.

9. Would bringing a mini grill and some meaty snacks be out of line while waiting in line, considering they wont be handing out tickets till 10am?

10. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

I dont know about that, but would bringing a torpedo heater be out of line?

tommyguz and atothesquiz like this.
  11. First thing I thought when trying BBVD was, "This will taste great out of the barrel"

12. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (590) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

I have so many similar questions and have pretty much conceded that I'm just going to have to play it by ear.

For example...one that I keep coming back to is this: if I'm stuck waiting in line all night, will there be anyone walking around taking draft/food orders? I know voodoo has posted the 3.23 draft list, but I sure hope since I'll be going directly home after I get my bottles, that some of those beers will be offered on Friday as well...

13. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (730) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

Wait, what? No, they'll be closed while you're waiting in line...why would they be walking around taking draft or food orders while they're closed?? Or are you saying you'd line up at like 8 the night before. IMO, that's excessive and unnecessary. Sure, it'll guarantee bottles, but it's just setting a bad precedence. People will be getting there HOURS after you and will get the same stuff.

fiver29 likes this.
  14. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (420) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

I still can't decide if I am going to make the 4.5 hour trip to attend this. I intend to leave very early in the morning. But, I would hate to get there and see that my hopes of getting what I want are gone because there is a huge line.

15. Morey

Morey Advocate (530) Pennsylvania Dec 30, 2007

Stakem....Just so you know, that wasn't me trying to charge you $99 a night. That's my buddy whose in the Bureau with me, and he's not as nice as I am. Cheers man!

tommyguz likes this.
  16. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (415) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

I think a lot of people are in this boat. Myself included. Except I booked a room Friday night and I'm wondering if that's even a waste. I don't want to pay for a room the night before only to get shut out. Because I didn't line up the night before.

I know I'm not entitled to anything. I don't think that way. It would just suck to get hosed.

jbdpsu82 likes this.
  17. MsRif

MsRif Savant (410) Pennsylvania Oct 23, 2011

Voodoo has stated that they have a "plan" to deter line cutters but they will not be announcing the plan prior to the event. I hope so, because there are already 342 people signed up as "going" on Facebook.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  18. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Savant (260) New Jersey Feb 22, 2012

It's gonna be COLD this weekend in Meadville. Hopefully we get a good bottle share going to stay warm.

19. According to their facebook page, they have ~340 invited to go, 160 have actually said "Yes".

20. dcraig13

dcraig13 Aficionado (210) Ohio Sep 13, 2010

Check the Google doc. The link is on the first page.

21. Its currently freezing rain / snow....!

22. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (435) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Was going to ask this question, and totally forgot that this was already started. Thanks for the reminder. Is there an official time that this bottle share is going to start? Looks like Im going to be getting there a little later than first expected. Probably get there around 7-8.

23. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

I'm thinking sometime around 12am...

Shilt likes this.
  24. dfields

dfields Zealot (95) Pennsylvania Dec 1, 2012

Been watching the weather report. Looks like the snow/freezing rain should stop early on Friday, but, yeah...it's gonna be very cold. Current 10 day forecast puts the low for Saturday at 24F.

25. dcraig13

No problem. The list is really taking off now but I'm not to sure if there is an "official" time the bottle share will start.

26. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (435) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Was just curious as to how much to bring, if I was going to miss anything now that Im getting there later than originally planed, stuff like that. No biggie.

27. Shilt

Shilt Savant (440) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

I'm thinking when we arrive ;)

28. ncaudle

I dunno know about you, but when we arrive I'm going into the pub, unless there is already a line outside but I honestly dont (hope to) see that happening till the pub closes at 12

29. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (730) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

Just FYI, there are 165 people signed up as going on FB, not sure where the 342 number is coming from.

30. normyk

normyk Savant (270) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

Added some stuff to the share sheet - see y'all Friday/Saturday!

31. dcraig13

Added some fine beers at that! Creeper and Bohdi great Ohio beers.

32. Updated some of the stuff I plan on bringing as well.

This has been asked recently, but do you guys plan on sharing friday night, or in line on saturday, or once bottles have been purchased Saturday? I plan on bringing my bottles when i get in line and sharing with who ever wants some.

33. ncaudle

Voodoo has said the bottle share has to be outside

34. I know, that's not going to stop people from gathering outside in Voodoo's tent or at a hotel before hand. I'm just curious what other people had in mind.

35. dfields

dfields Zealot (95) Pennsylvania Dec 1, 2012

Probably friday night, or when we start lining up in the morning.

36. kbuzz

I'm just gonna come right out with it...

I'm getting there Friday night at 5 PM and I'm bringing my bottles with me. If others want to drink with me, that would be my preference. But if I'm the only dude sitting there drinking by myself, I'll figure out a way to cope...at least the temps will be cold enough that I won't need to bring a cooler :D

37. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

So... At first I laughed at this.
    Then I thought about it and couldnt tell if you were trolling or serious.
    Now I am starting to think that the precedence might have been set based on other releases and how they have been attended. 18+ hour wait in 24 degree weather to buy these beers? Is that what this is going to be?
    Why? I realize people are coming from all over and noone wants to get shut out. But is it a serious consideration for people to be outside waiting in line in lieu of being inside, drinking and eating in the warmth while the pub is still open the evening before???

Dont get me wrong. I love bottle shares and I love the comradery that goes along with waiting in line. But this seems to be stretching it. Yes? No?

How off-base am I here?

38. fiver29

You aren't off base. Its pretty crazy if you ask me. Don't forget that windchills will probably put it in the teens overnight.

Hope that dude doesn't freeze to death. And I'm being dead serious (pun intended).

39. kbuzz

You're not off base at all. I agree with everything above. It's absurd. However, it's not just a serious consideration, but a reality. I will be there at 5 PM on Friday.

Why?

1. Because I've been scared into taking the precaution based on chatter...
    2. I live close enough and there are so few releases like this around that I want to make sure I take advantage.
    3. Already had the time off from work to watch the NCAA tournament games, so it makes no difference to me if I get there at 5 or at 10 to start waiting.

Believe me, my preference would be to arrive and see no one in line, head inside and drink/eat/chat until I see the line start to form. But I'm fully prepared to set up my folding chair upon arrival if need be.

40. fiver29

This why I was for them selling tickets.

Oh well. If someone does die overnight because of the mix of alcohol/cold/whatever else is added to this mix I go on record telling Voodoo 'I told you so"

maximum12 and kbuzz like this.