1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Voodoo Brewing Barrel Room Collection

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Holmes698, Jan 23, 2013.

1. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (590) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

Me too.

fiver29 likes this.
  2. Tickets would have been great. But faced with a 6+ hour drive plus being cold adverse, looks like I'll sadly have to pass on this.

3. dfields

dfields Zealot (95) Pennsylvania Dec 1, 2012

Putting this out there: if you are SERIOUSLY starting the line at 5pm the night before you're not only ruining your good time, but you're setting a precedent, and as a consequence, ruining everyone elses'.

Holmes698, jampics2 and Rifugium like this.
  4. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Savant (260) New Jersey Feb 22, 2012

I guess me showing up at 2-3 am won't award me any beers. Seriously reconsidering if even attending is going to be worth it now.

5. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (415) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

Voodoo could just as easily start passing out tickets on Friday at 5 PM so people aren't camped out there all night. But I think that's what they want.

6. Moc513

Moc513 Savant (315) New York May 24, 2012

I'm curious on how many people will be actually start lining up on Friday night and how many actually stay there when the temps are in the teens overnight.

7. kbuzz

Let me remind you that Voodoo is responsible for this. Almost actually seems as if it's being encouraged. The "party" starts at 5 on Friday. If you think people won't be lining up then as well, I think that might be a bit naive. Maybe I'm reading too much into this info above and I really, really hope I'm wrong...but I will be there at 5 in case I'm right.

Are you coming up from Alabama by the way?? Would love to grab a beer with a BA coming all the way from AL.

8. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

we were going to get there around 4pm-ish. my plan is to stay in the pub until I see about 30 people in line then to go out to claim my spot (because you know there will be cutters trying to squeeze into that first 85), whatever time that may be.
    I'm hoping the line doesnt form till after the pub closes but it is what it is and I'm up for it...

9. kbuzz

exactly.

10. This is what i was referring to in my earlier post about bottle sharing. I didn't mean to insinuate that i wanted line up at 5pm on Friday, I was just point out that Voodoo was making room for us on Friday to at least share some beers. Just curious if anyone planned on doing that before headed back to their place or getting in line.

11. DaGrizz

Damn. With all this talk/hype I MAY be talking myself out of this. 5pm????? Really? I won't even be able to leave Philly till 5 pm. I'm mainly interested in the bottle share but that's a long drive for a few sips of tasty beer. Decisions decisions.....

12. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Meadville, PA is pretty "in the middle of nowhere" for a lot of people. For people to start lining up at 5PM the day before the release in order to get bottles, it will mean that this will be one of, if not the worst release (in terms of waiting) that has ever occurred on the east coast. Is that likely to happen? I don't think so based on 2 points.

1. This thread is not that long and not that many people have signed up on Facebook and BA. My personal rule of thumb is usually that 3 to 4 times as many people actually show up than sign up. That still puts the number at roughly 200-250 (based on BA) spread throughout the 18 hours from Friday 5PM to Satuday 10AM.

2. If you look at the ISO/FT forums, there are not a lot of requests to either trade for or trade away any of these beers. Which means that there is very little hype behind this release.

Those things being said, if the line does start at 5PM, I will happily wait in it but it will probably be the last time I ever attend a beer release. I'm a huge proponent of "anti-entitlement" (ie. if you want the beer, wait in line like everyone else, if you get shut out, its because you didn't want it as much as the people in front of you). But for me, no beer(s) are worth waiting in line for 18 hours for, bottle share or not.

13. jmalex likes this.
  14. jampics2

jampics2 Advocate (720) Ohio Dec 19, 2008

I'm 120% with you on this. People have lost their goddamn minds if they're willing to wait 18 hours in line for any beer release. I hope this is either just crazy talk -or- those who show up at 5PM Friday end up with essentially the same beers as those who show up at 5AM Saturday.

SpeedwayJim and kbuzz like this.
  15. ncaudle

I agree with this but only to the extent that I dont see someone showing up at 5am getting their full allotment.
    I think midnightish is going to be close to the cut-off

16. duceswild

duceswild Advocate (740) Maryland Feb 8, 2010

So has anyone had these beers? What if they suck and have no trade value...was it worth it then? Btw, I say this while I'm already sitting in line, someone has to be first right.

17. kbuzz

At this point, I think the first person in that line is going to be vilified forever.

18. DaGrizz

So... Don't be that guy! :)

19. dfields

I'm not naive at all. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it happen. I'm simply condemning it.

20. the street is being blocked off at 5 on friday strictly so we can set up for saturday. tent needs to go up, porta-poties delivered, pig needs to start roasting, theres a lot that needs to happen between then and saturday morning.

21. kbuzz

haha...no, certainly not the first...but likely one of the first 20 or so.

22. normyk

normyk Savant (270) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

I will go on record as BEGGING: Please don't start the damn line before midnight! This is gonna be some unhappy weather to be waiting in. I for one do not like the cold and would rather stay inside as late as I can.

claaark13, Psykhe, Scotty and 7 others like this.
  23. kbuzz

Seriously!!! I'd rather be inside watching tournament games since that was my original plan for this day - they have TVs in there? I might actually have more invested in the tournament than I will in this beer allotment :p

24. DaGrizz

Yea, too much drama. Have fun at the release boys and girls! I'm out!!!!

25. dfields

Proposed solution to this issue (one that comes out of social pressure): you start the line before midnight, you're excluded from the bottle share. Obviously, if someone else starts it, and you're forced to join, this doesn't apply to you.

Merely a proposal. I'm interested to hear what others think of this.

kbuzz likes this.
  26. SpeedwayJim

Unenforceable... so not worth talking about.

corby112 likes this.
  27. jampics2

Oh, no doubt. I get that and appreciate you guys thinking ahead to have a nice street party - I can't wait and think it will be a ton of fun. Unfortunately, an unintended side effect of closing the street is this crazy "get in line at 5PM Friday" mentality that seems to be running rampant. I've gotten in line for releases hours before opening time before. I've never seen or heard of people lining up 17 hours early.

I think Voodoo is doing a great job. I also think people have lost their minds here. That's not Voodoo's fault, but there is something Voodoo can do to help, and I think it would be a great move...

Can you change the limit per person of Laird's Apple Brandy Black Magick to ONE PER PERSON?

I know you don't want to start changing limits. However, that change would have a real impact and here's why...we can all agree that if Voodoo had 10,000 bottles of each beer there wouldn't be a crazy push to get in line and people would be coming to ENJOY THE PARTY not for a camp out bottle share. Point being, higher bottle counts would help the situation. Since you can't make more, you could spread them a bit thinner...now is the time to make a change before people drive up and a shit storm unfolds.

Just making that change would increase the number of people getting the full allotment from 87 to 171 - almost DOUBLE! That's a HUGE difference and may ease a bit of this nuclear race to get in line first. Plus, it's consistent with the limits for other bottles with similar counts...for example, Lairds Voodoo has just 4 bottles fewer than Lairds Magick but a limit of 1/person. I know it sucks that people will only get one 12oz bottle but it may be a smart move to ease some of the crazy tension here.

If that's cool, I also urge you to take another look at the limits for the other Black Magick treatments...going from 3/person to 2/person would also ease the insanity - now there's still nice consolation prizes for those who miss the BBVD treatments. I know you want people to enjoy the beer and to get as decent an allocation as possible. But this has gotten insane and, by making these changes, more people get bottles, more people get to try each kind of treatment, and it puts the focus back on your event and the party and not people lining up in hopes of pulling beers they can trade for a CFH or Rare or (insert whale o' the day).

Thanks for considering! I'm looking forward to the party. Cheers!!!

fiver29, slawn34, Hastur23 and 2 others like this.
  28. Shilt

Shilt Savant (440) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

A little off the subject, but any of the Ohio guys coming in willing to trade a 6 pack of White Rajah for some Hardywood stuff? I will pick up anything available at the moment including Chocolate Heat, Bourbon sidamo, or anything else I can get my hands on for some of that dankness. Loved that beer ever since jampics2 sent me a bottle as an extra a couple months back. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and ncaudle will be rolling up at about 4 or so, and hoping to go straight into the pub. So as mentioned before don't please don't be that guy who lines up a 5 or so. Pretty please.

29. I really hope this whole doesn't turn out to be a total clustercuss, with people showing up 15+ hours before the release and hundred walking away disappointed.

I was planning on attending the Chalfont release instead of this. (especially after reading this thread. hah.)
    Do you think the turn-out there will be just as insane?
    My original plan was to show up ~3 hours before the release, but now, looking at the sentiments here, 12 hours might be more realistic and I STILL might get shut out.

I've never attended one of these things before. Is it usually this crazy?

30. dfields

Disagree. Whether or not it is enforceable is wholly irrelevant, but I'd be interested to hear where you're coming from with that sentiment. I'm not looking to create a rule, but, rather find a social response to behavior that is generally regarded as bad for the community. The concept is akin to: you welch on a trade, then you are excluded from trading. There are a number of questions that come out of this:

• First and foremost, is starting a line for a limited release beer 18 hours ahead of time socially acceptable behavior -- especially when participating in a block party being organized by the brewery is a major part of the festivities? I think a number of pundits will dismiss the notion with "it's just beer," but I don't think it's that simple. There are a number of us for who craft beer is an integral part of our lives. It is a hobby that supports social lives and intellectual pursuits, so it's no wonder that when behavior clashes with those interests people get upset.

I don't know if starting a line that early under the circumstances is considered behavior that is detrimental to the community, or if the general sentiment is that it's detrimental. That said, there are a number of people here who are upset. That's just my observation, so that's anecdotal, but it is certainly suggesting a trend that's worth vetting.
    • Is excluding people from the ensuing bottle share an appropriate response if said behavior is deemed detrimental? I don't know that it is, and it could end up having a negative impact on those who participate in excluding others. For example, I take a great amount of joy out of sharing beer, and watching people light up with excitement to try it. Would excluding someone from the bottle share for ideological reasons be cutting off one's nose to spite their face? Would this even be for ideological reasons, or something else?

• Are things like this necessary? People find enjoyment in something for different reasons? Is that acceptable even if that reason comes at the expense of others? Is said expense even measurable or relevant?

• Am I over-thinking this?

31. ncaudle

more than likely

32. dfields

Damn.

33. SpeedwayJim

Chalfont release? Details?

34. dfields

SpeedwayJim likes this.
  35. Moc513

Moc513 Savant (315) New York May 24, 2012

I think a lot of people will be changing their minds once they are outside in 20 degree weather for a couple of hours and still have another 9+ hours to go. I'm not showing up until 6am ish....If I stay warm and miss out on a couple of bottles, well worth it in my mind.

Holmes698, fiver29 and normyk like this.
  36. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

These are really the only concrete notes on that:

"in regards to the release at the blue dog in chalfont, there have only been two pieces of information released:
    - blue dog is receiving 25% of the total amount of barrel aged product (this means 25% of everything, so they will have all the varieties we are selling in meadville)
    - the release will take place on 4.27"

I would expect this to be well attended as well, especially since a lot of the Philly people will pass on the 6hr+ ride each way to hit this up instead.

SpeedwayJim likes this.
  37. So what happens at Midnight? is there just a bum rush to the line? What happens if there are 100-150 people inside the building...how is everyone going to run out and get in line when they close?

38. It is pretty cold here in Meadville currently, not counting the snow fall and wind. I sure hope the line doesn't start at 5!

39. jampics2

I propose that everyone who wants to get in line at midnight needs to fight to the death for 10 spots in line.