1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Voodoo Brewing Barrel Room Collection

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Holmes698, Jan 23, 2013.

1. dfields

dfields Zealot (95) Pennsylvania Dec 1, 2012

And what percentage of those people have any interest in waiting outside in sub-freezing temperatures for 10-11 hours to wait in line? I'd be extremely, EXTREMELY surprised if it's even 50%.
  2. On a more important side note. If the line starts earlier than 10 pm...that person(s) is/are not getting any of the Breakfast of Champions Cupcakes that my wife is making to bring down with us. They use Voodoo's Breakfast of Champions obviously and plan to be delicious! (also making Irish Car Bomb cupcakes as well).
  3. They don't have TVs in the pub. It is actually quite nice that they don't. People actually have to enjoy in each others conversations instead of blankly staring at TVs.

No offense to you wanting to watch the tournament, but I think it is a nice change that they don't have them as sometimes I find myself staring at TV instead of being engaged with others.
  4. kbuzz

kbuzz Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

sooooooo....wait...how bout we get back to that bottle share real quick? That list looks fucking incredible and I'm curious when we're cracking the first one. Thinking...ideally, would love to arrive, eat, drink a few draft offerings, and then get cracking with the bottle share...thoughts?
  5. duceswild

duceswild Advocate (740) Maryland Feb 8, 2010

And may the odds be ever in your favor...
    Psykhe, trxxpaxxs and jampics2 like this.
  6. dfields

I'm thinking the bottle share starts at 12am.
  7. So is it just the weather that has people mad at the line starting early or if it were beautiful out, like last year this time, say 65 and Sunny would people still be mad at someone for lining up at 5 pm to sit outside, enjoy the weather and share bottles? Just curious
  8. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

I like that idea.
  9. dfields

It forces people to have to decide between partaking in the festivities in the brewpub, and waiting inline outside, when there's really no reason everyone can't have both.
  10. kbuzz

for me it's the lack of sleep that's bumming me out the most. I'd much rather have a casual Saturday at the brewpub than an all night affair with no sleep.
    Morey likes this.
  11. Yes!!!! I have my popcorn ready! Can't wait for the Sat/Sun thread about the shitmess at this release!!!!
  12. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

Yeah...this could be epic.
  13. Seriously I have off I am thinking noon why the hell not.?
  14. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

All joking, exaggeration and arguing aside...I refuse to open any of the bottles I bring until after the pub closes. I obviously cant talk everyone into the same behavior but I urge everyone to take it into serious consideration. I think it is disrespectful that anyone would congregate outside during their hours of operation and choose to open/share bottles instead of patronizing the host.

I believe (regardless of what transpires on Saturday) that Voodoo has surpassed my expectations of how to handle a release. Clearly they have taken a lot of time to consider our needs and accomodate us with overnight Port-O-Pots, a tent of sorts to gather under and possibly most important for safety's sake getting the street blocked off.

Now, having said all that. I look forward to a fun time Saturday seeing some old familiar faces and making new friends. If anyone wants to try some of the newest sour creations that Terry Hawbaker has been concocting at Pizza Boy, come say Hi. I will have several yet to be released beers with me as a preview/teaser of sorts.
  15. I dont think it's unusual to bottle share at a venue while the venue is still open. I've been to several where the brewery or bar has encouraged people to bring bottles to share while attending an event, not just while waiting for the event to open.

As long as you are not disrespectful to the business that's hosting you and are not disruptive to the other patrons not partaking, everything should be fine. It also helps if you buy some food and take out what you bring in (empties!).
  16. williamDbar

williamDbar Aficionado (210) Ohio Jul 5, 2012

I plan on arriving at 4:45pm with a group of 90...we are bringing a cooler or 2 of whalez & a keg of CBC Bodhi & Fat Heads Head Hunter ;)

PS. Hope you and the gang have a good time!!
    fiver29 likes this.
  17. Is it okay for me to take Burger King to McDonalds. Or is it okay if I wear my reeboks when I work at Nike?
  18. yes to all of the above
  19. Well said!!! I think Voodoo did a great job with providing everyone with every possible detail!
  20. dcraig13

dcraig13 Aficionado (160) Ohio Sep 13, 2010

I agree with you on this. I hope the bottle share doesn't start until sometime early Saturday morning. Share some beers, buy some beer, eat some food, and end the day with some of the draft offerings sounds like a great Saturday to me.
  21. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone decided to wait in line today. This all just reminds me of the craziness that goes along with the new gaming system or the next isuck.
  22. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

This happens with every release though... and it never turns out as badly as people think it will.
    mouseman007 and claaark13 like this.
  23. My wife thought I was crazy about beer when she first met me back in the 90's. Then she started to meet some of the other beer enthusiasts in the area and realized there are crazier people than me. Reading this thread just shows how crazy this hobby of ours has become. No way in hell would I wait double digit hours with wind chills in the teens and risk frostbite for this beer release. I wish those who do all the best - Cheers!
    redrocker and duceswild like this.
  24. Were the tap lists for Friday and Saturday ever posted here? I just skimmed through and just saw the preview of them on the first page.
  25. Havent seen the final ones yet. Also, does anyone remember seeing if it is cash and credit?
  26. kbuzz

I remember Sam asking in a thread somewhere and getting the response that both woud be accepted...but can't find it now...
  27. normyk

normyk Savant (260) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

Hmmm.... I should bring some cash just in case.
    Had to call an audible on what I'm bringing. It makes me sad, but I'm still bringing good stuff.
    I have a theory regarding tomorrow/Saturday, but I'm afraid to share it. It could cause issues.
  28. warrenout330

warrenout330 Aficionado (240) Ohio Oct 19, 2012

Reading this thread has given me a headache......seriously. I'm just hoping for a good time. And kevin, I'll keep ya company lol
  29. Are people in line yet...lol
  30. Curious to hear it. This is coming from someone going Friday evening.
  31. dtx00

dtx00 Savant (395) Pennsylvania Oct 21, 2006

Was confirmed by the brewery both cash n credit are accepted
  32. I'm with the earlier posters that think you all are crazy for even contemplating standing in line overnight. I may come early Saturday morning (morning as in after I've slept on Friday night). If I can score the 1 per person BBVDs I'll be happy. If not I've got a shit ton of Heady Toppers canned 3/13 in Pittsburgh if any of you want to stop by to trade some of your bounty. Portsmouth Royal Impy Stouts too.
  33. russwbeck

russwbeck Savant (430) Virginia Aug 3, 2010

Anybody else just excited to see the brewpub for the first time, try Breakfast of Champions (and all the crazy beers on tap Saturday), do the bottle share, AND THEN get a lot of great rare beer? Sounds like the perfect Saturday to me. Hope to see some of you there!

Also, I can't find the Google Doc to add my beer. I'm bringing a growler of Duclaw Cocoa Vanilla Retribution, Flying Dog Barrel Aged Gonzo, Heavy Seas Barrel Aged Siren Noire, and others.
  34. Breakfast of Champions is so good. It is right there under Big Black and Cowbell, which will both be under The Pappy Black Magick and Apple Brandy Gran Met IMO
    russwbeck likes this.
  35. i am almost there how long is the line?
  36. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

you'll be at least 2nd
  37. o_O seriously?
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  38. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

I just got on line, there seem to be about 60ish people before me.
    Shilt likes this.
  39. Looks like the fun started earlier than expected...
  40. Or they are trolls who think they are hilarious but are really just annoying. Hard to say.
    ThoreauLikeAGirl likes this.