1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Voodoo Brewing Barrel Room Collection

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Holmes698, Jan 23, 2013.

1. I noticed this too. Part of it is the 25% that is being released in Philly later. But one of my bottles, I think the Pappy BBVD, the number is like 3x higher than the total they had listed. I was thinking that maybe the availability is going to be different at the Philly release. I'd suspect that the staff and volunteers(?) that were there for the release also got some.
  2. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Savant (260) New Jersey Feb 22, 2012

Could be that they are saving a bunch of bottles for GABF in Denver. I know brewery's sometimes do that. Or for special events at the brewery.
  3. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (405) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

This is a straight copy and paste by Voodoo in another thread:

in regards to the release at the blue dog in chalfont, there have only been two pieces of information released:
    - blue dog is receiving 25% of the total amount of barrel aged product (this means 25% of everything, so they will have all the varieties we are selling in meadville)
    - the release will take place on 4.27

other than that, everything else at this point is purely speculation. this is blue dog's event, not ours. it is up to them to determine pricing, allotments, tickets, etc... we are simply selling blue dog's portion to our distributor, bella vista, who will in turn get it to blue dog. we will be on hand to chat and help with whatever is needed, but this is blue dog's event.
  4. Sounds like there are alot of other bottles being held back.

Lairds Apple Brandy Big Black Voodoo Daddy
    - 171 bottles released at the Voodoo Pub
    - 25% of the total amount of barrel aged product being released at Blue Dog
    - My bottle is #906

I guess my only problem is if you are not gonna let the consumer know how many bottles are being released total, why even number them?
    chase2634 likes this.
  5. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (405) Ohio Sep 18, 2007

This. This isn't uncommon for a brewery to do this for this reason. They all do this.
  6. I don't get why it matters? They said how many bottles they had to be released in Meadville, 171 bottles of AB BBVD and that's how many they sold. Who cares what they did/do/are doing with the rest of it? Just my thoughts?
  7. I think the amount of bottles COULD come into play when working out a trade. Me personally I would dig alot deeper in the cellar to land a beer that I think may live up to the hype and has a bottle count of only 171 versus a beer that I still think may live up to the hype with a 900+ bottle count. Maybe it's just me though!
  8. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

also, some bottles are hand-written bottle # while others are machine stamped...
  9. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (800) New York Dec 13, 2009

how many bottles were actually released at the original release? at what point in the line did people start getting shut out based on the limits?
  10. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

I think that they might have pre-numbered a bunch of labels, although 900+ for the variant with the least amount seems to be ridiculous. Since it's a small operation, they probably had people hand writing label numbers/dates and some people using stamps (or 1 person who got hand cramps).

I visited the pub the next day and all they had left were the Gran Met, Pappy and Buffalo Trace BBVD and Buffalo Trace Black Magick.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  11. Scotty

Scotty Aficionado (210) Maryland Jun 29, 2012

Could the numbers just be the total bottles of all beers/treatments across the entire barrel room collection? Which would come to about 2,353 + the Chalfort allocation.

Not sure what the benefit of numbering this way would be, but just a guess.
  12. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (425) New Jersey Mar 15, 2008

Nope, I have two different variants with the same bottle number.
  13. Scotty

Scotty Aficionado (210) Maryland Jun 29, 2012

Good to know - was planning on going home to check my bottles. The mystery continues...
  14. stakem

stakem Champion (870) Pennsylvania Feb 20, 2009

I guess only the folks at Voodoo are able to chime in and state what is up with the numbers being so high. If I was to guess, it seems like they collectively numbered everything in the barrel room collection sequentially and did not individually block off certain numbers for each treatment.

As far as duplicate numbers for different treatments, it is very possible there was a mixup with employees/helpers/volunteers who were all hand writing on the labels. I know i sure wouldnt want to do all that myself. More hands helping means more margin for whoopsies.

Regardless of the reasoning behind the numbering on the bottles, can I just state again how impressed I am with Voodoo? I gave in to curiosity last night and opened a bottle of PVW black magick. Being a huge fan of black magick, I knew I was going to enjoy the PVW treatment. I just had no idea I was goin to like it THAT much. Absolutely cannot wait to get into the others now.
  15. Mopps

Mopps Aficionado (170) Virginia Dec 17, 2012

Great review stakem. Couldn't agree more. Can't wait for the awards that are sure to follow. The Voodoo crew are very deserving of the recognition as all of us can attest. My favorite part is watching the faces of the people who get a taste. It's that holy shit did that just happen look. Love it.
    trxxpaxxs, stakem and Shilt like this.
  16. Couldn't agree more or said it any better!
  17. So, who is going to Blue Dog next weekend? What are people anticipating in terms of line up times, etc.?
  18. I'll be there Wednesday night. Line forms behind me.
    Seriously, I WILL be there Wednesday night (like I am every Wednesday night) for trivia.Then I'll go home.
    It doesn't look like I'll be able to get there before about 10:30 on Saturday, who know what, if anything, will still be available. Only 16 people on here have said they're going, I'd be good with #17 in line. Ha ha.
  19. I wanted to go, but shit's not working out.
  20. dmac621

dmac621 Aficionado (180) New Jersey Nov 26, 2008

I'm there now and the line isn't bad at all. (and yes I know the release is next week)
    cosmicevan and zekeman17 like this.
  21. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

Wanted to go, but moms is coming down to visit so I won't be able to make it. Hopefully she'll be bringing me some Jack's Abby as a consolation prize...
  22. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (800) New York Dec 13, 2009

picksomeupformebro?
  23. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

Yea ^ this x2. I'll totally hook someone up for some of the black magicks.
  24. I'm seriously contemplating coming down since I will be unable to make TAP NY but am not 100% sure yet. I have no idea about line up times etc., but would expect people to be there pretty early. Does anyone know if there will be a bottle share or not like the other release and how this will be structured? The only info I can find is the bottle/price/draft list from the Events page.
  25. I'll ask tonight when I'm up there, but I kind of doubt there would be a bottle share--they are in the middle of a strip shopping center. I wouldn't think the neighboring stores would be real happy with that, but who knows?
  26. Where's the price list? The only one I can find is for the brewery release that was a few weeks ago.
  27. cosmicevan likes this.
  28. Confirmed as of last night--there are no plans for any kind of sponsored bottle share prior to the release.
  29. kapkenobi

kapkenobi Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2011

I will be going, cannot wait to get my hands on those bottles
  30. I get to move that day instead =/
  31. I'm planning on going though I'm unsure when I'm going to arrive.
  32. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

can we make plans for an unsponsored one
  33. Honestly, the bar is in a strip mall. Dunno how legal that would be. The other businesses might be a bit pissed off since the line will be, i'm sure, in front of their stores as well.
    You might need to get the owner's permission. And be as discreet as possible if you do.
  34. Yeah but no one else will be there at 6am... Could put the beer away when normal people start to arrive around 8-9.
  35. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Savant (440) Pennsylvania Feb 23, 2012

I plan on going to this. I'm wondering how early I'll have to be there to get access to all of the bottles....
  36. That's the important question. I might swing by in the middle of the night to see if a line is forming, who knows.
  37. I would still get permission....some townships are strict with open container laws. could also get the bar in trouble.
    zekeman17 likes this.
  38. I'm not the boss of you, however, I agree with Lauren.
    The set up isn't really good for it. You'd have to be really discreet.
  39. GeoffreyM

GeoffreyM Savant (440) Pennsylvania Feb 23, 2012

You really think its possible that there will be a line the night before? I don't think there was when I went to Wealth of Riches last fall.