1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Vote for Cascade for the Best Brewpub in America!

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by JohnGalt1, May 2, 2012.

1. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Advocate (700) Idaho Aug 10, 2005

2. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

But I don't think it's the best brewpub in America. Not even close.
  3. JohnGalt1

PNW pride??
  4. How the hell did Cambridge make it that far?
  5. boMD

I have PNW pride. But I have never had an experience at Cascade that is even close to my top Brewpub experiences. My experiences there are mediocre at best.

Who is John Galt?
    <----
  6. boMD

Good beer, not the best brewpub.
  7. I've never had anything from them that made me want to go buy more. Maybe Jack's Abby can get a pub, then we'd be talkin'
  8. Voted this afternoon
  9. boMD

I had a Brett age Belgian Golden when I was there that I thought was pretty tasty.
  10. Pawel

Pawel Aficionado (135) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2008

For some reason in my mind, Cascade isn't even really a brewpub. As a native Minnesotan, I'm kinda pissed that Town Hall got ousted round 1, I've been to NXNW, it's really nothing special...
    boMD likes this.
  11. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

It's a non-scientific popularity contest put on by some webzine that I've never even heard of before. Who gives a shit?

(I voted for Cascade, by the way :D)
  12. JohnGalt1

Exactly.
  13. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Wow, having lived in both Cambridge MA and Portland OR, my opinion is that CBC doesn't even hit the top 5 brewpubs in the northeast USA and Cascade probably not the top 5 in Portland, and not even close if you expand to PNW. I am considering food and atmosphere, it just quality of beer, of course.
  14. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Correctiom: Good beer, absolutely awful brewpub.
  15. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

This is an absolutely terrible poll.
  16. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Does the barrel room even qualifiy? I wasn't aware that any actual brewing took place there.

This from a 9/10 article in the full pint:

All of Cascade’s beers continue to be brewed at Cascade Brewing, located at 7424 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy in Portland. Art Larrance, who has been involved in Oregon’s craft beer industry since its inception, established Cascade Brewing in 1998. Larrance co-founded one of the state’s first microbreweries, Portland Brewing, as well as the Oregon Brewers Festival, which today is one of the world’s preeminent craft beer festivals. He currently owns and operates the Raccoon Lodge and Brew Pub on Portland’s west side, where Cascade Brewing operates out of the ground floor.
  17. By no rights should Cascade have beaten Magnolia. I now pledge my allegiance (and votes) to CBC.
  18. boMD

Cascade Barrel House does not brew on site... not a Brewpub. On top of that, service is neglectful, decor is cheesy and cheap, food and beer are both over priced.
  19. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

"service is neglectful, decor is cheesy and cheap, food and beer are both over priced"

Sure, but other than that, the place is GREAT!!! :)
    hopsbreath and barleywinefiend like this.
  20. My thoughts at first, second and third glance.
  21. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

That's some interesting revisionist history considering that the "Cascade Brewing" brand extension didn't happen until 2006 or 2007.
  22. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

voted for Cascade and also voted for Revolution Brewing in Chicago, because, as we all know, screw Boston.
    libbey likes this.
  23. Yeah, the food at Cascade reminds me of going to a picnic, and I haven't been overly impressed by the beer in some time.
  24. well they didn't make it anyway.....
  25. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I think that may be changing, as there was some video of a fermentation tank (I think) being installed there. But, also, I think it may be splitting hairs a little bit to say it's not a brewpub given that all the barrel-aging and blending does happen there.