1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WA Brewers Open House thread

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by kevwcamp, Feb 23, 2013.

1. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (310) Washington May 13, 2010

Where are you at?
    What are you drinking?

I'm at Black Raven sipping 12% wheatwine aged in 40-year cognac barrels. Awesomeness. Also got my allocation of 2011 Old Birdbrain.
    jpbebeau likes this.
  2. Nice. On the way back from the dog park at Marymoor, I swung by Malt & Vine to replenish the space for a lone sixer in the beer fridge. I couldn't stay long, but I got a sample of Boneyard's triple IPA, Notorious. Wow.

Also on the way home, I then swung by Black Raven to pick up 3 bottles of Old Birdbrain. 20-minute line at 12:10. I should have had some Pour Les Oiseaux or Coco Jones in line.
  3. kevwcamp

Plenty of O.B. left here, and no line now.
  4. I had to stay on the eastside. I hit Black Raven around 1:15, no line and got my 4 bottles. I stopped at Foggy noggin on my way home and got a growler of Batch 500
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  5. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Stopped by malt and vine and grabbed the last 2 switchbacks I saw. Hit black raven and had birdbrain on tap and 4 bottles. Now at Fremont. Just finished 575 and waiting for my 2:30 brewery tour at 3:00
    jpbebeau likes this.
  6. The tours were running more like 45 minutes when I was there. It was worth it, though.
  7. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Got to Fremont @ high noon, enjoyed a glass of 575 (which, BTW, is also the Brouwer's 7th anniversary beer - so we'll be seeing more of it), then took the marathon 12:30 tour w/ Matt/Texwild, which clocked in @ 1 hour, 15 minutes. Good tour, great beer. Then sadly had to move on to more mundane activities...
  8. Ha! I think we were on the same tour!
  9. draheim

I'm about 5'6", was wearing a black North Face jacket and jeans. Thought it was cool to get a tour from the founder of the brewery. He tried to explain the 575 thing at the end but I don't think many people understood. And why would they?
  10. I got to Fremont around 12:30 pm in my Crux hoodie. Had a 575 (it's aged Sungglebunny) and a Buddha's Hand IPA before going on the 1:30 tour with JPBebeau. Tour was awesome. On the way home, I picked up a mini-growler of Trifecta at Bottleworks for tonight.
  11. Haha, yeah, I recall seeing you! I was there with my girlfriend. In my late 20's, 6'1", blue pants, black coat and grey sweater. The tour was really cool with the founder and owner. I think he started trying to explain 575 and realized there's really no good way to talk about internet drama with stranger IRL and just left it at that. I thought it was rad, but I really can't explain it to my friend either, heh.
  12. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I was also on the 12:30 tour at Fremont hosted by Matt. Great tour! Rubbed elbows w/fellow BA's and didn't know it! Bookended it with a Buddha's Hand up front followed by a 575 afterwards. Great conversation with CaptainQ. Nice meeting you!
    Not busy at all at first overflowing - packed - by 2:00
  13. bespin15

bespin15 Savant (280) Washington Dec 10, 2006

Old Birdbrain bottles are gone. It's on tap and excellent as usual.
  14. draheim

Next time we need to wear avatar name tags.
  15. Ended up making Black Raven, got 4 bottles of OB & a taster flight. Good times, no lines right around 2.
  16. Did anyone goes places other than Black Raven and Fremont? ;) I planned on hitting up Reuben's, but was at Fremont a lot longer than I thought, so I just went straight home so the wife could get a pedicure while I watched our daughter.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the tour, but I thought everyone at Fremont did a fantastic job. Matt led the 1:30 tour group and was extremely informative and excited to share his love of brewing with everyone in attendance. I had a great time.

Learned a couple things:

1. Canning beer is expensive. Matt explained why we won't be seeing cans of the higher ABV limited beers due to order sizes and the fact that they wouldn't sell in the same range as the standards and seasonals.

2. The Seattle Beer Week pale is Cowiche Hop Lab #2. Citra, Simcoe and a new experimental hop variety. Very cool.

When I got there at 12:30, it wasn't busy, but when we headed back into the UBG after the tour around 3:10, it was jampacked.

Also, I don't know who you are, but whoever watched my beer while I moved my car, thanks!
    beertunes and NWer like this.
  17. kevwcamp

I meant to go to Reuben's Brews but the BR wheatwine and barleywine curbed my enthusiasm. Anyone try the barrel aged RIS or Old ale?
  18. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Seems like something that should best go unexplained. If you get it, you get it. Kind of one of those "you had to be there" sort of jokes. That said, I saw some of the check-ins on untappd today and chuckled.
    NWer likes this.
  19. I hit Boundary Bay and enjoyed a beer with beertunes (nice meeting you!) before hitting Fremont around 2:30. Meant to get to Reuben's, but got a surprise offer of a Hop Scotch ticket + a free babysitter for the afternoon, so didn't make it out of Fremont until the evening. Didn't meet any of you there I don't think, but if you were around in the afternoon I was the awkward unshaven guy chasing after a toddler in a green coat who was carrying Elmo around and eating pretzels off the ground.

As an aside, I plan to hit Bottleworks when it opens on Monday, so hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you while standing in line.
    beertunes likes this.
  20. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (295) Washington Mar 1, 2010

And did you love Hopscotch?
  21. <shrug>. For the most part I felt like I was at some party I didn't really belong at, though that describes about 90% of the parties I've attended in my life. Nothing too exciting to me on the beer front, and the Scotch tastes were whoa tiny. But it was such a novel treat to have somebody spontaneously suggest they watch my son while I take their ticket to go drinking with a friend, that I'd say, "yeah, good time!"
  22. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Didn't make it to any breweries with work today but had some friends for dinner that stopped at Black Raven on their way over. Filled a growler and bought me the last 3 bottles of old birdbrain available, they are the best! See everyone at Bottleworks Monday!
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  23. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

Hit Black Raven pretty late (4:45) - grabbed 4 bottles and had the wheatwine and old birdbrain on tap. Hit malt&vine on the way out of the east side (may not be back for 6 months? ever?) and stopped through reubens for a couple pours of the great bbl imperial stout. Skipped Fremont altogether based on what I read on the forums today.
  24. podunkparte

Yeah, the Fremont tours ran pretty late. Our 2:30 time started at about 3:15. We had such a big group they split us in 2 and my group was led by head brewer (James?) and one of the other brewers. Nice guys and very informative. They seem to be as psyched for the experimental sour and bal aged stuff as we are, which is nice to see from the guys making good beer. Gregg (Hopburster) also mentioned that when asked if they plan on doing so and so, like gonna can Dark Star? Gonna try more Brett beer? etc the answer was always "definitely." More good news.

Good meeting Dylan. If you're here lurking say hi so I know your BA name again. Didn't make it to Reuben's since the tour went so late. I had to speed up the freeway to make it to work on time.

See some of you guys at Bottleworks Monday. I look like the real life version of that cartoon man above my name ;)
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  25. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Yes!!! The BA RIS was good, but pretty sweet, 6 oz pours and I can't imagine being able to drink much more than that. The Cask Old Ale was absolutely awesome.
  26. Good meeting you too Ryan, and re-meeting Martin.

Great tour at Fremont, 575 was mighty tasty, also tried Brother and enjoyed that alot as well.

Went to Black Raven with some friends later on and had some birdbrain on tap, but they had run out of bottles and the wheatwine :( The birdbrain was awesome at least! Sadly won't be able to make the Great Grandfather release either. I'll be stopping in for a long lunch at Bottleworks on Monday though.
  27. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (760) Washington May 12, 2005

I wonder when they ran out of bottles - I bought 4 around 5pm. Wheatwine was still kicking too.
  28. I didn't take the Fremont tour. My wife and I plus our dog (brown lab/pitbull mix) were there around 2ish and stayed long enough to eat our lunch, share a 575 and a Super Duper IPA II, and watch the line to get beer ebb and flow a number of times. We enjoyed ourselves as we tend to do at Fremont.
  29. podunkparte

I think you were siting right next to us. I was on the end and my buddy asked you what kind of mix your dog was. He's adorable, by the way.
    BuckeyeOne likes this.
  30. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I started at Boundary Bay, had a brew with Prufrockstar and his spawn Elliot (who totally loved his grilled cheese sandwich. And a lot of the female staff were asking who the little cutie was after they left), didn't take the tour as I'm pretty familiar with their system, did have a couple samples of ImpIPA, then.

Went down to Chuckanut and they were pouring a new dry Irish stout (nicely tasty) and a Baltic Porter, holy hell! Not sure if that beer will be leaving the brewery, if not y'all need to come get some! Seriously delicious! Had several samples, gotta be sure ya know. Next up was a jump on the bus (all 3 breweries pitched in on a free shuttle) to Kulshan.

The Krew was pouring 4 brews: their Red Ale (very tasty), a new Saison that's not quite ready, but will be very Freaking yummy when ready, Their Pale Wheat but a special batch fermented with a saison yeast, Holy fucking Crap! That was the best brew I had all day and I totally abused their generosity, by having many of them. The final brew was the last keg of Old Tannenbaum, their Christmas Ale, brew with trees. Yup, they stuffed whole trees (I think a fir and a spruce) into the brew kettle. I'm already looking forward to this years version.

Took the bus back to Cnut and helped them finish up the Baltic Porter. A big Thank You to all 3 of my local breweries for a great afternoon. Hopefully some of you guys can make it up next year!
    Prufrockstar and NWer like this.
  31. NWer

No doubt a great time was to be had just as I did last year Terry but 575 & a tour by Matt Lincecum himself was too much to pass up - even chose that over opportunity to snag bottles of my cherished Old Birdbrain!
    Maybe back North next year. Gotta pick and choose.
    beertunes likes this.
  32. Damn. If I had known, we could have had a haiku throwdown.

33. There's just no other way to ask if someone is FROM THE INTERNET without sounding like a weirdo.
  34. I asked some guy if he was from BA because I heard him talking about Haiku. And yeah, it did sound kinda weird.
  35. NWer

I asked a guy at Fremont on Saturday if he was a BA because I overheard they had just come from Black Raven - made sense to me - didn't know what a BA was. Again today standing in line at Bottleworks. Struck out again.
    I give up.
  36. podunkparte

Haha, yeah. We really need to have something distinctive to tell who's a beer nerd
  37. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Maybe we all get shirts with Vinellas picture on them? An homage, if you will.
    CHILLINDYLAN, SatlyMalty and 66jzmstr like this.
  38. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

If anyone has a couple bottles of OB they would like to trade, send me a message. Hopefully I have something to trade that you are looking for