1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

WA Cask Beer Festival, $40 WTF???

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by t4h2c0, Mar 14, 2014.

?

Is $40 too much for the WA Cask Beer Fest?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. I Don't Care About Price

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. Not Sure

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. I used to go to this festival every year but the past couple I have skipped due to weak beer lineups. This year's beer lineup looks pretty good, the only problem is it is $40. WTF, why the price increase? I remember it used to be $35 or $30. $40 seems like a ripoff to me and is kinda hard to justify considering the fest used to be better IMO (Better beer and $35 in years past or now worse beer for $40). I will skip this year because of the price. In a couple more years will it be $50???
    The 2014 WA Cask Beer Fest beer lineup does look good though...
  2. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Thanks for the reminder. The line-up does look good, and hopefully I can finally attend it this year.

As for the price... shrug, agree it's a big hgh, but not outrageously so. When I lived on the East Coast, $40 would be considered a flat out deal for such a high quallity event.
  3. How big is the tasting glass? You get up to 25 tastes. I hope it's pretty small. I don't care for cask style, so I never attend this fest.
  4. Yikes… compared to up here, that's a downright steal.

Our last Cask Fest (Central City Winter Cask Festival) was $30 Admission for a taster glass and 3 tastes, with additional tastes costing $1 a piece. There was also a total of about 36 casks. This is about the norm in BC though.
  5. Seriously?! Crooked Stave's "What the Funk" event is $85 this year.
  6. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

That's like what 2 beers cost at the Noble Fir.
  7. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Because it is basically unlimited tastes the price is well worth it! I will be there and enjoy this festival. I dare someone to have all 25 themselves and try to walk out of there on a straight line
  8. If you get that many pours then I think it's worth it. Both events in Portland last year were about that maybe a bit less but I spent much more for more tokens.
  9. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I'm only good for about 10 tastes at a festival so based on price alone $40 is way too much for me. But then, I'm perfectly willing to go to PDX for an event without factoring in money spent on gas & hotel room.
    No one said I had to be logical.
    Who the fuck can down 25 tastes anyway without puking & being a complete ass? Whoever can, I salute you.
    beertunes and Hoppy_McMalt like this.
  10. But that way you're paying for beer you will never drink. I'm glad that the Washington Beer Commission doesn't run their festivals that way.
  11. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (575) Germany Jan 19, 2010

I am, admittedly, overly biased, but Brews for New Avenues VIP is a steal at $50. Should make the trip down to PDX for that:)
    September 6th 2014;) http://www.brewsfornewavenues.org

cheers
  12. You make a good point. I mean what they have 4 hour windows for the event depeding on which session one attends. But you have to figure in waiting to get in and also they stop pouring a bit before the end of the session so let's say one has 3.3 hours to drink 25 (4oz or so) tastes. I'd be game to give that a try but I don't think I could do it.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I poured this event a couple years ago, when they first used the punch cards. When they gave us our instructions, they actually said, "if someone fills their punch card, and wants more beer, have come back to the entry table, and we'll decide if they get another card." needless to say, we weren't too picky on actually punching the cards. I had one come up saying he saved his last punch for our brewery. I made him drink 3, then still wouldn't punch his card. You could have removed his appendix, and I'm not sure he would have noticed.:eek:
    NWer likes this.
  14. John_M

Just as an "oh by the way..."

Online tickets for the noon to four session are sold out, but as of Tuesday, you could still find tickets available at various stores around town (got mine at 99 bottles).

Sounds like the event is pretty close to selling out at this point.
    adkieffer likes this.
  15. beertunes

Well, in retrospect, it was probably worth more than the $40 price tag (which, in full disclosure, I did not pay). Plenty of choices, a big variety of styles, and it was in a larger room this year, which felt much less crowded. Still one of the top fests in WA, IMHO! Plus, I got to chat BA's own johnmichaelsen for a few minutes, which is always a pleasure.
    adkieffer and Mages64 like this.
  16. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (370) Washington Sep 7, 2009

I too had fun and would do again:)
    KDS with coffee and cherries was great, elliot bay vietnamese coffee was yummy and the diamond knot apple/Cinnamon esb that won people's choice was honestly quite delicious despite sounding gimmicky. Good for diamond knot!
    beertunes likes this.
  17. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

I'm feeling left out. With all the heavy-hitters showing up I clearly need to rearrange my priorities.
    beertunes likes this.
  18. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

Pretty impressive list of beers. Also, don't lose sight of the fact that Washington is beyond lucky to have that ma y breweries willing and able to participate in a cask beer festival. Boston has a cask beer festival and you are lucky to get 4-5 decent local breweries involved.

Also, I don't know much about the folks that are running this show, but I am willing to bet they aren't raking in the big bucks. That is more than can be said for any Beer Advocate run festival.
  19. John_M

Likewise Terry.

And I completely agree on the price, considering what they had on offer (and the size of the pours). The drive up from Eugene is/was a bit off putting, but this event was so outstanding, I can easily see myself going again. Seemed like most of the brewery principles were in attendance at the tasting tables as well, and that's always a big plus at events like this. Add to that plenty of rinse stations, plenty of places to sit, and some interestng food selection purveyors.... I was very, very impressed.
    beertunes likes this.
  20. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (320) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Sound's Mayan Bearcave took the cake for me....that chili heat was pulled off perfectly. American Brewing's Chocolate Decadence w/raspberry was an absolute surprise and delicious! The Fremont Kentucky Dark Star was actually a bit of a let down for me. After having the regular and Hazelnut versions I was hoping for more. Honorable mentions to Populex IPA w/kumquat and starfruit, and Naked City Whiskey Barrel Sour.

All in all a fabulous event that was run very well and not over crowded. It was nice to never have to wait in a line of more than 3 people.
    beertunes likes this.
  21. beertunes

Heavy hitter? Who you calling fat?:mad: Oh wait, that would be me.:oops: Next year buddy, next year. And maybe I'll more than 15 minutes notice that I'm going and can let y'all know.