1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wachusett Brewing Company Introduces The First Ever Light IPA

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Todd, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Westminster, MA -- 50 year anniversary by creating the world’s 1st Light IPA. An easy drinking session IPA coming in at 4% ABV with 37 IBUs and only 121 calories. The beer was released at Wachusett Mountain on Saturday, December 15th, 2012 for a private event in honor of the Crowley family celebrating 50 years of business.

Wachusett Brewing Company will add the signature Light IPA to their 12 oz. can portfolio and release a limited amount of draft in March 2013. Wachusett Light IPA will be available year round along with their other 12 oz. canned products; Green Monsta IPA and Blueberry Ale. Also released in cans March 2013 will be flagship Country Pale Ale and Summer Ale in newly designed packaging.

Enjoy With Friends.

http://wachusettbrew.com

###
  2. First ever light IPA after Laguinitas Daytime IPA, Founders All Day IPA, Saranac Session IPA and probably at least a couple others.
    atdunn9, audioserf, leedorham and 4 others like this.
  3. What he said ^
  4. Tasted this at Wachusett mountain this past weekend. Smelled almost like Larry...so much so that I thought they were mislabeling "Larry IPA" as "light IPA", especially since I hadn't heard of this yet. But then I had a sip and it definitely tasted like a session ale and not Larry. Very light on the palate but you still got your hop fix. Tasted like a win for Wachusett.
  5. Are those session ipas low in calories?
  6. Since alcohol content pretty much corresponds to calories, uh, yeah.
  7. And what he said.
  8. They are all around 140, give them credit for the first ever massachusetts based light ipa in a can.
  9. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

I think more details would be needed to answer that question. I'm pretty sure lagunitas ipa has a pretty high FG. So a beer with the same abv but lower FG would have less calories I think. Lagunitas ipa is just an example.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  10. Lower than each breweries' regular IPA.
  11. Maybe not first in style design, but first to use the Light IPA naming convention. Or is it? ;-) http://www.craftcans.com/millercoors-to-release-cans-of-coors-light-india-pale-ale

I think the Light IPA term and style has legs.

Its gonna get a whole lot craftier up in here....
    Providence likes this.
  12. Kick ass. I'd love to try it.
  13. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

I'm waiting for Notch Session IPA. :p
  14. Greene King harrrumphs disapprovingly .. at the needlessly high ABV and IBU in an IPA
  15. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I'd throw gumball head in there, thought technically not labeled as an ipa... At 156 calories... I'm sure it tastes a lot better. And is hoppier.
  16. Aaron58

Aaron58 Savant (270) Massachusetts Dec 16, 2007

This is going to totally fly off the shelves this summer. Its pretty good and throwing light on a good beer, in cans, forget it. This is going to be Wachusetts cash cow.
  17. I wonder who is going to make the first "Light Black IPA"
  18. Next will most likely be the first, "Light Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout."

or

"Light Gueuze"
  19. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Add this one

[​IMG]
  20. Agreed, I'd say they're going to hit it big with this one, especially with the summer months coming up.
  21. dasenebler

dasenebler Savant (470) Maine Jan 26, 2008

Does IPA mean anything anymore? Just call it a normal Pale Ale or XPA, and be done with it, jeez. I feel like all of the sales-types are seeing the numbers and realizing that IPAs are a huge part of the craft market, so they have to include these three letters in the name of a new beer.

What's next? IPA Ice?!
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  22. UncleJimbo likes this.
  23. Patrick

24. Light IPA. I love me a good (bad?) oxymoron.
  25. Would like to try the Notch, but, for me, the 22 oz. format deters it from actually making it sessionable. Would have to buy 2-3 bottles and, at that price, I could just buy a 12 pack of 12 oz.'ers. Nonetheless, I will likely try a bottle and seek it out on draft.
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  26. On Facebook today, Chris (Notch) said it'll hit next week. Excited to try it.
  27. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Someone send that man a canning line and some 12pk boxes!
    FrankLloydMike likes this.
  28. My 22's give the ability to test out styles before committing to 6 pack packaging (which is a sizable investment). Like Notch Saison, if the 22's get good feedback, we can move it to a package with a better value.
    trevorpost, FrankLloydMike and commis like this.
  29. Working on it!
    lucas1801, mschofield and konabrewer like this.
  30. Wow. That's an awesome, unexpected suprise! Figured it would be longer. Awesome.
  31. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

At Mercury/Ipswich? Or are you lips sealed at this point?

Good luck!
  32. Patrick

Did Cerne Pivo not get good feedback?
  33. Thanks for the reply, Chris. Like I said, I will try it and be sure to give you some feedback. I understand the approach and appreciate the effort to listen to feedback about packaging concerns.
  34. My best selling 22, but worried how that beer may sell in the warm months, and we are not quite ready for seasonal 12 oz yet. The priority is getting year round 12 packs and cans out first.
    messrock likes this.
  35. Love the ability to discuss here and get feedback, it really helps us.
  36. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (365) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

I think I saw its on tap at Brew City Worcester, MA
  37. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Chris, I understand, but I worry that the reception by the public of a 22 oz format is skewed. I know that I, and others, steer away from 22 oz bottles simply because of the price per ounce. Trying to gauge the popularity of a beer in sixpacks by the sales in bombers is difficult, I think. A Catch 22.
    mschofield and FrankLloydMike like this.

38. Hear you on that. Most of this is going to draft, so I'll be looking for feedback there. The 22's are for those who may not see it on tap. And sales are not the only thing I look at, the feedback on the beer itself is important. Thanks Jim.
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  39. Chris, I'm a bit torn on this one. And the reason I'm torn has already been defended within your blog post.

What I've loved about your beers, is you've picked styles exclusively catered toward lower alcohol, which makes sense. The "session" IPA is obviously trying to shoehorn lower abv into a style that, in it's current form at least, is meant to be stronger. I'm torn though, because I love session beers, and I love IPAs. I'm eagerly awaiting the first brewer to truly master this, if possible. On one hand I see this as you selling out, but if it's successful and can increase your funds for canning and other year-round beers, I can understand your reasoning. That being said, I'll be purchasing this next week when it comes out, and look forward to it!

And while I have your attention, any thoughts on trying an Irish Dry Stout or a Gose?