1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Walla Walla

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bifrost17, Jun 22, 2012.

1. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

So I'm going out to Walla Walla on Wednesday, and Thursday with my girlfriend to visit her sister. I've never been there and I was wondering if there's anything beer related worth checking out, bottleshops, bars, restaurants?
  2. Red Monkey and Stone Hut, are the only places I know off
  3. Drive to Laht Neppur's brewery out in Waitsburg. It's an absolutely beautiful drive.
  4. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Just got back from Walla Walla yesterday, so your timing with this is pretty much perfect.

We visit WW on a fairly regular basis, and I'm happy to say that things have improved considerably from when we used to visit two or three years ago. In addition to the Red Monkey Lounge, there is also the Green Lantern and Pub 124. The GL has around 20 different craft beer selections, while the P 124 had around 10 or 12. Don't expect to find anything mind boggling on tap, but do expect to find things like Fremont Brewing IPA, Ice Habor beers, SN torpedo and the like. Also, while you can drive to Waitsburg for Laht Neppur beers, there is also a Laht Neppur alehouse in town as well now (so no need to drive out to Waitsburg, unless you really want to). The afternoon we stopped by, they had around 10 of their beers on tap, as well as several bottled selections.

One of the evenings we had dinner at Brassiere four (sorry about the spelling), which is a french themed restaurant. In addition to a passable wine list, they also had a decent selection of imports and craft beer (bottles I believe). Frankly, I was pretty surprised how pervasive craft beer has become in Walla Walla. 5 or 6 years ago, there was next to nothing in town.

In terms of bottle shops, I think things are still lagging behind a bit. There are a couple of safeways in town, and they will have core beers from Deschutes, NB, Widmer, Pike, SN and the like, but not much else other than that. So it might be worthwhile stocking up in Seattle before heading out of town if there's something in particular you want to drink while you're in Walla Walla. Enjoy!

(P.S. Don't know if you're into that kind of thing, but the new Walla Walla Sweets - onions - harvest was just starting this past week. Prices are good there and the quality is amazing. IMHO). Have fun.
  5. Hahahaha walla walla sucks ass for brrr. Just got to grocery store and find some micros
    A-
  6. tozerm

tozerm Savant (365) Washington Jul 1, 2005

Historically the Albertsons in Walla Walla has had the largest selection of craft/import beers.
    djbreezy likes this.
  7. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Thanks for all the tips! Yeah we're definitely planning on loading up on onions, can't wait!
  8. Rathakem

Rathakem Aficionado (235) Oregon Apr 1, 2012

You could check out Salumiere Cesario, small little gourmet grocery .. They stock some craft beers (even had some RR beers in which is unheard of in WW). Right across the street is Walla Walla Wine Woman, they have a limited craft beer selection as well. Both are on the corner of 2nd and Rose St.

In addition to Albertsons, Super One Foods has been adding to their selection as well.

Laht Neppur is great, and the Green Lantern is a favorite spot of mine.