1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Want to go in on a case of Sam Adams Utopias - Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by HopFace, Nov 27, 2012.

1. HopFace

HopFace Savant (350) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

I have a case of sam adams utopias lined up for purchase. Unfortunately, I don't need 12 bottles of this and really don't want to spend $2136 on it.

I am looking for 11 other people (or however many it takes to purchase the case) in the Pittsburgh area.

It's $178 a bottle (which is a really good price).

Anyone in?
  2. When you say "lined up for purchase", do you mean that you've essentially already bought it?
  3. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Shouldn't you have done this beforehand?
  4. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Man pa laws suck
    jhartley and sliverX like this.
  5. HopFace

Nope. Haven't bought yet. Waiting to get other people in. Yes i am doing it beforehand (hence the thread). And pa laws blow
  6. I so want to try this, but right now I don't think I could spend $175+ on a bottle of beer. Maybe sometime on down the road ...
  7. shuggy

shuggy Savant (300) Pennsylvania Dec 22, 2006

$178 will buy a lot of Head Hunter or cover a substantial amount of my homebrewing costs for a year. I don't understand why anybody would want to spend that kind of scratch on a single bottle.
    NABS and thebouch01 like this.
  8. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Same here. Different strokes and all that, but that's a LOT of green for a single 500 ml container of beer.

I used to think I might feel differently if I ever had a chance to try the beer, but, after getting a small taste several years ago, I was even more puzzled. It's an interesting beer to try, and I can see where some folks would like it (though I think it has more in common with a good bottle of whiskey or cognac than beer), but I just can't understand what I feel is a ridiculous, inexplicable price point.
  9. It's 500mL? Not 750mL? And it's nearly 30% so yeah it has way more to do with brandy or cognac.
  10. John_M

I had heard that it originally came in a 500 ml. bottle, but after doing a bit more research, I see the bottle size is now listed as 24 ounces (so a bit less than a 750 ml, but still more than a 500 ml bottle). Either way, the price is still absurd (IMHO).
  11. Agreed - it certainly is more like whiskey/cognac than beer, but I wouldn't pay $180 for a bottle of whiskey either. I'd love to taste this at some point but can't see owning a bottle.
  12. John_M

This is one of the primary reasons I get so annoyed over the cost of this stuff. For half the price of Utopia's, you can get a world class bottle of bourbon or single malt scotch. I'm willing to keep an open mind on this, but is it really any more costly to make a 24 ounce bottle of Utopias than it is to make a 750 bottle of 16 year old Laguvullin? Or a bottle of 15 year old Laphroig. Hell, for $100 you can get a bottle of XO courvoisier cognac.

I just don't get it...
  13. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

This might sound crazy but if you only want one bottle from the 12, instead of finding 11 other people to go in on it, just buy one bottle.
  14. JM03

JM03 Initiate (0) Ohio Nov 12, 2010

Because that is harder to do in Pennsylvania. You can only buy single bottles at certain establishments. From distributors, you must buy by the case.
  15. I don't understand why he must buy 12. I know PA laws are silly but it is shipped in a case of 6(I know because I received one at my store). As far as price is concerned, it is ridiculously high. But damn it is ridiculously good too.
  16. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

Thank you, I now understand the complaints about PA laws above my post. Makes a lot more sense now.
  17. HopFace

The distributor said it came in a case of 12. That's what he was selling. If it was a case of 6, that'd be cool but that is not the case here (pun??)

As for everyone saying that it's crazy priced, then don't buy it and buy your home brew supplies or cognac. Keep calm on troll on.
  18. HopFace lives near enough to places that are selling single bottles, granted they're more expensive per unit that way. There are also bars that will sell single servings of it.

19. Still, you should push back at the distro...they are not cases of twelve. If you can get it down to six I may be willing to take some off your hands. BM me if things change. I am not unreasonably far from Pitt.
  20. Demer

Demer Aficionado (215) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Yea they are definitely cases of 6 not 12 man. It is going to be easier to get 6 people in than 12 anyway. Hope it works out for you.
  21. It could be that 6 - 24 oz. Utopias bottles don't met the Penn. Liquor Control Board's legal definition of a "case". It used to be the only exception allowed for a legal "case of beer" under 288 oz. were 24 - 7 oz. pony bottles (the classic Rolling Rock case) but that's obviously changed since 12 - 22 oz. bombers (as well as imports in 11.2 oz'ers) are now sold as a standard case in PA IIRC.

Don't remember what it was, but I recall once seeing some odd-ball size bottle/case of beer sold with two of their standard cases taped together as one unit to meet PA's rules. In this case, BBC might even make a separate 12 bottle case for the Pennsylvania market.
  22. There's an issue of ounces though. I know there are some loopholes but I don't know if they break the minimum ounce rule.

edit: Seriously Jesskidden we posted at like the same time. Your post was more useful though.
  23. is utopias legally sold a "beer" in pa? 30% abv and no carbonation should make it a brandy or malted wine
  24. Utopias is legally sold a "beer" in pa.
  25. It's registered as a beer so it's a beer. Strength and carbonation don't matter. It's ingredients and method.
  26. John_M

It's a talk forum. Folks are just expressing their opinions about the beer, including the pricing. That doesn't make them trolls (I mean if that's the case, then everyone on here, yourself included, is a troll). Also, I assume you must feel the pricing is a bit "crazy" as well, or why the need to (not to mention difficulty, apparently) find 11 other buyers to go in on a case with you.

If it's worth it to you, then by all means buy it, and I hope you get $180 worth of enjoyment out of it. Seriously. It's not worth it to me (obviously), but I've got nothing against you buying a bottle, if that's how you want to spend your money. The point I (and others) was making is that the price seems kind of high for a beer (no matter what the abv. is, or how limited it is), and given what similar alcoholic beverages sell for, it seems unjustified. I gather that doesn't matter to you, and of course that's fine, but I don't see why expressing an opinion on the subject makes one a troll (as you seem to infer).
    NABS and mikeburd1128 like this.
  27. dgs

dgs Aficionado (195) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2005

Current CASE in PA code:
    "CASE" shall mean a package prepared by the manufacturer for sale or distribution of twelve or more original containers totaling two hundred sixty-four or more fluid ounces of malt or brewed beverages excepting those packages containing twenty-four or more original containers each holding seven fluid ounces or more.
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pennsylvania_liquor_code/18291

So, yes, 12 Utopias per PA case.
  28. HopFace

I understand your point. I really do. You find this beer crazy priced. That's totally fine but please remember the subject was not "What is everyone's opinion on the price of this beer?", it was "Want to go in on a case of Sam Adams Utopias?". I wasn't trying to start a conversation about the price of the beer, I was trying to find some people to go in on a case of it. I was trying to utilize this site to find like minded people to go in on a case. OneDropSoup said it's available in singles around here, so I am currently looking around for that.

So yes, it does make them (and you) trolls - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet) Notice the point about OFF TOPIC.

But again, this is the internet - http://xkcd.com/386/

Thank you for your opinion though but if you want to discuss the price of this beer, perhaps you could start a new thread "Price of Sam Adams Utopias - Pittsburgh"
    GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  29. I must respectfully disagree with you. Price is central to this topic since it is the key factor in answering your query. I believe you would find many who would "Want to go in on a case of Sam Adams Utopias?" if the price were lower.
  30. John_M

:) That was the impression I had as well, but I guess I was mistaken. By the way, your post doesn't pertain to the original topic either, so I guess you know what that makes YOU!

Personally, I've never really thought of myself as a troll (my sister used to collect the small ones with the long hair years ago, but I assume the OP is referring to something different), and I'm wondering if there is specific attire a troll should wear. I understand that their diet largely consists of mutton, the occasional hobbit, dwarf pie or stew... I plan to see what I can find at the grocery store later today... perhaps they're running a special on burrahobbits.
    jmw likes this.
  31. I'm in for a bottle-- would like to arrange terms through private conversation. Just for the sport of the previous discussion, I have tried it, along with fine cognacs and numerous single malts (including the ones mentioned above). While it is similar to cognac, the hops presence is unmistakable. It is unique. Having tried it, I can cross it off my bucket list. I wouldn't bother with buying a bottle if it wasn't for a friend who introduced me to beer beyond the "evil three". He's always wanted to try it.
  32. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

if this is still alive, i'd very much be down for a bottle, but it was my impression that we couldn't find enough interested parties and/or no one wanted to lead the charge and possibly be responsible for having extra bottles.
    GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  33. i want one... little late i know...