1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Wanted Feature: Beer Ratings by Region or State

Discussion in 'Site' started by Dan_Bowman, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Savant (270) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Because people say that most of the DIPA's are always best a very short time from being bottled or kegged. I'd like to see the avg beer rating of my area, specifically for the west coast IPA's or even the most recent Bells Hopslam (since I have to wait a few weeks to get some in Ohio).

Sorry if this idea has been mentioned already. Thoughts?

2. http://beeradvocate.com/lists/popular

check out the right-hand column.

It does, however, sound like you want to know something like what someone in Ohio has to say about a beer that is brewed in CA? You'd probably have to a) make sure that every user has their location filled out properly and then b) set up sort functions for it. Part B is probably easier than part A at this point.

3. The more logical approach (and it's not practical just more logical) is to group by freshness dating, since that's the root issue. I've had beer shipped to me from the East coast that's fresher than many of the local area IPA's I've purchased off the shelf.

4. Dan_Bowman

Yea, if I look up Stone IPA and start reading reviews, you have the BA score and the Bros score. I would like to also have a "my region" score.

benjaminahudson likes this.
  5. Dan_Bowman

Also true but there are too many breweries that don't provide bottled dates (a local favorite - Hoppin Frog) or the cryptic bottled dates like Knee Deep Brewing (Yes, I know that is changing).

6. sounds like a question for the Bro's

/lights Bro signal

7. merc7186

merc7186 Savant (360) New York Dec 5, 2010

Wait Wait Wait...are you guys implying that people OVER HYPE beers that THEY can easily trade away for something better???

Oh the lies....oh the humanity...I blame the Liberal/Conservative/Red/Blue/Southern/East Coast media bias.

8. merc - not at all. I think the OP is just looking to glean some knowledge of how a beer tastes by region. A Pliny to a CA consumer will probably taste different to an east coast consumer by the time they can round one up. This may actually help the reviews in that you may be able to parse the reviews based on what you are actually trying to determine. The real catch is that all reviews are subjective to begin with, so a CA person may rate Pliny high because it tastes great fresh OR because they are a homer OR both. Another CA guy might rate it lower based on personal taste, but not for lack of it being fresh. Does that make sense?

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

This feature could also be used as a homer detector.

benjaminahudson likes this.