1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Was a new batch of Ace of Spades just released?

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by DefenCorps, Sep 16, 2012.

1. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Advocate (605) Oregon Jan 18, 2007

I just noticed this on the shelves, and before i drop $9 for a bomber, i'd like to know if it's fresh.

As an aside, why don't any local breweries date their bottles or cans? I just moved to the area, and find the almost universal lack of bottling dates particularly annoying, especially for the hoppy beers.
  2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I don't know for sure, but I think the latest batch of Ace of Spades came out in early July (based on my review, and I picked up a bottle within a week or so of it hitting stores). So not so fresh @ this point.

As for bottle dating, I agree. Fremont was doing it for a while on their bombers, and maybe they still do on their regular beers and cans. But sadly, I can't think of too many local breweries that do this.
  3. DefenCorps

DefenCorps Advocate (605) Oregon Jan 18, 2007

Thanks for the heads up. I am passing on it unless someone else chimes in claiming otherwise.

Rather surprisingly, despite the lack of bottling dates on *most* local beers, I haven't had issues with the few beers I've tried in the two weeks since I moved here. I guess this whole craft beer thing is a hit in the area or something...
  4. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Pretty sure most beer moves pretty fast around here. I've heard horror stories about super-old IPAs languishing on shelves in other parts of the country, I just don't think that happens much here. Guess I have seen 6-month-old Double Jack though...

This "whole craft beer thing" is pretty much the only game in town, as far as I can tell. I don't know a single beer drinker who doesn't drink local/craft beer pretty much exclusively.
  5. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

I haven't seen the Ace for a few months then saw about 6 cases at a local bottle shop a week or so ago. I would think it is a new batch because I am not sure why they'd wait 2 months before sending it out. Who knows though...

Totally agree on bottle dating. No date = no purchase (unless I'm 100% sure it just came out). I have seen way old IPAs/pales/wheats in odd places though; saw 15 month old DBA in San Jose once, which is only a few hours from Paso Robles...weird.
  6. If your looking for fresh dyan wet/fresh hop season is about to get going. One of my favorite times of year for this PNW beer drinker.:D
    draheim likes this.
  7. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,100) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

"Pretty sure most beer moves pretty fast around here."

Near as I can tell, that's pretty much it in a nutshell Dyan. While that's all well and good if you're shopping at Belmont Station or Beermongers, it's a problem if you're shopping at some obscure, out of the way store (like the West Linn Market of Choice), or at some store that has a huge inventory (like John's Marketplace). I've been burned more than once buying old product (you may recall the bottle of Tricerhops that I brought to one of your tasting events - I subsequently found out it had been sitting on the shelf of my local MofC for over 8 months!). So unfortunately, you need to exercise care when buying IPA's/DIPA's in Oregon, or make sure you know someone at the store that you think you can trust (fortunately, most stores typically have someone working there who knows something about the beer selection, and/or when a particular shipment arrived in the store).

Also, Libbey is absolutely right! If you have a chance, be sure to attend one of the wet hop festivals, either in Hood River or at Oaks Amusement Park. This is the first year I'll miss attending in several years, and I'm pretty bummed about it. If you go, be sure to try Killer Green and Killer Red, as well as Vernon the Rabbit Slayer (if the latter is made this year)! Have fun!
    libbey likes this.
  8. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (305) Washington Nov 26, 2008

Just had an Ace of Spades bomber last night. I bought two bottles a few weeks ago and I just got around to drinking the second. I'm assuming they were from the July batch draheim mentioned above?

Long Story Short, it was delicious! Didn't seem to have suffered any and I don't think it tasted any different than the first bottle I drank just after the purchase a few weeks ago.

HUB is really becoming one of my favorite breweries. Their Dry Hop IPX is really nice. Not the hop bomp like Ace of Spades but a great moderately hopped brew.