1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Was BRUX widely distributed?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by sandiego67, Feb 24, 2013.

1. I remember being excited when it came out and rushed out to buy it. Now I see cases of it everywhere I go.

Was it not well received?

I have only tried it at Russian River as part of a flight.
  2. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

On shelves still in Boston.
  3. I thought it was a good beer... but not worth the price point. Had it been packaged in 375 4-packs like Oliva at the same price I would have grabbed more
  4. It would be interesting to see how packaging size affects sales of certain beers. I'm sure there is some research.
  5. It was priced rather steep.
    Bought one and put it away.
    Would of liked to try one fresh tho
  6. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Why did you put it away then?
  7. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

I don't know of too many people that hated it, but I think some were expecting something mouth-puckeringly sour along the lines of Russian River's -tion beers. It's certainly not that - it's a Brett beer, not an acidic funk-bomb. And it's perfectly solid as a Brett beer, but I would definitely take Sanctification over BRUX.
  8. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (420) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

fresh was disappointing. it needs time for the brett to work its magic.
  9. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

I had one not two weeks ago. Still barely any Brett. Disappointing.
  10. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (190) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

I had one fresh, than one a couple weeks ago. When I decide I want to try another one in a year, I'll just go to the few places that will still have them on the shelf ;).

It was a solid beer, but it was $14.99 for a beer that, if my memory is correct, took a while to get distributed anywhere else further than CA. I think the word got out that it was just okay and not going to blow your socks off, so people held off on buying cases of it.

I mean, for less $, you can get a -tion sour (albeit half the size) or 3 Plinys. Just saying :)
  11. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

still a bunch of bottles of Brux left at BevMo san luis obispo...

Sanctification was $14.... so expensive and disappointing...
  12. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Time isn't helping.

Sanctification is worlds better than Brux.
    grandmachine and kojevergas like this.
  13. I can find them at any store which has a reasonable selection of craft beer. I bought one and was disappointed by it given the price.
  14. Still cases, stacked on cases at my local shop as well.
  15. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Savant (260) California Dec 1, 2011

Cases of it sitting at Hi Time if you want to drive up from SD lol
  16. cases upon cases all around me too. finally saw some on sale today in a bevmo for 11 and change.
  17. SHODriver

it's 9 from RR and it's very good. I can't vouch for the bottles even though I have a ton but I found it to be quite nice.

It isn't even a year old yet.
  18. jtmartino

Brett won't suddenly make a beer funky after multiple years - typically you can tell after 6 months how the beer is progressing. I had part of a bottle last month and it didn't taste any different than when it was first released.

I don't have high hopes for this beer - luckily I didn't buy any extras.
    westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  19. SHODriver

I bought four so color me stupid. I drank one tonight and it's tasting alright, it's miles ahead of where it was when it was fresh. it isn't getting very sour because they didn't add any lacto or pedio. Then because I'm sitting on too much damn beer I drank a sanctification, and two 375s of sanctification is worth the 18 from the brewery + gas than the 15 it cost me for a bottle of brux. Fortunately I never visit Santa Rosa without dropping at least 300 bucks so the cost in gas per beer is pretty cheap even though I burn premium in the SHO.
    afrokaze likes this.
  20. jtmartino

Yeah man a lot of people really like Brux, but for those who are looking for something traditionally Russian River (intense), it's a bit mellow.

You never know...a couple years could make it really, really nice. But then again instead of sitting on a Brux you can just go buy a Fantome.
    kojevergas likes this.
  21. Didn't hate it. Just thought it was meh. I would probably drink quite a bit of it, if it were free.
    afrokaze and luwak like this.
  22. BRUX > Saison Bretta
  23. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

On shelves in AZ... some places cut the price 2 - 4 dollars to get rid of it. Still sitting there.
    I didn't love it.
  24. luwak

And thereby risk a bad bottle and basically throw all your money down the sink
  25. jtmartino

Don't buy Hiver :)
  26. jtmartino

You are in the minority with that one.
    KevSal likes this.
  27. This beer was way overpriced. I see it all over the place.
  28. Agreed.
  29. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

lol
    KevSal likes this.
  30. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I've probably said this before, but your avatar is the tits. Love those headers fo SHO!
  31. luwak

agreed. Saison Bretta is a masterpeice. Brux is just pretty good.