1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Waxing bottles to cellar

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by ineva, Feb 28, 2012.

1. ineva

ineva Aficionado (245) California Jan 14, 2009

I recently started waxing some bottles that im cellaring hoping they will help conserve them better... here is a couple of my bottles.
    [​IMG]
    Has anyone tried doing this?
    Thickfreakness likes this.
  2. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

I have been debating whether or not to do this...I admit know nothing about it, however.

My question, is what are the positives to doing this? I understand beer will still become oxidized due to the little bit of air in the bottle, but will this ensure that the beer will remain carbonated?
  3. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

I try to wax everything in the cellar, better safe than sorry.
    ineva likes this.
  4. Sonofalime

Sonofalime Savant (370) Virginia Oct 11, 2010

Looks good. I've done the same on most of mine. Going to do the rest this weekend. BTW, what kind of wax are you using?
    Cfeezy and ineva like this.
  5. ineva

thank you. a mixture of crayons and glue sticks :) waxing some bigfoot right now with brown wax.
  6. I picked up some wax last week and will be dipping a bunch this weekend.
    ineva likes this.
  7. stevefinny

Crayons and glue sticks???????????????????? Tell me you aren't serious. If your gonna put the time and effort into it, just buy the real stuff. Prices vary and so does the color.

Share your own customer images

Bottle Seal Wax Beads, White

by Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
    Be the first to review this item | Like (0)
    Price: $12.99

In Stock.
    Ships from and sold by Midwest Homebrewing & Winemaking Supplies.
  8. ineva

Yes I am serious this is where I got the idea http://www.passionbeer.com/2010/09/02/making-bottle-wax-for-your-beer/
    but thanks for the link.
  9. stevefinny

10. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

The wax should reinforce the seal, ideally fighting oxidation and maintaining carbonation. I have heard stories from people of wax bubbling due to poorly capped bottles. Nothing is fail proof but the potential benefit could easily outweigh the time commitment to wax the bottles.
    tx_beer_man likes this.
  11. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Thanks buddy!
  12. SourFiend760

SourFiend760 Disciple (55) Feb 26, 2012

thoughts on waxing corked and caged bottles? does the way peel of easily?
  13. ineva

havent tried doing it to any of my corked bottles but yeah the wax peels off pretty smooth
  14. Crayons, glue sticks, an empty soup can and a double boiler. Whether it helps or not, it looks nice and couldn't hurt. On waxing c&c bottles, you can do it but it can be a bitch to get off.
    swoopdog likes this.
  15. SourFiend760

SourFiend760 Disciple (55) Feb 26, 2012

thats what i was worried about, some waxed bottles i have opend have been super easy, some not so much.... i imagine it would be a huge pita if waxed my c&c bottles and it ended up being the more difficult wax to remove
  16. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

I remain vaguely unconvinced about the benefits of waxing bottles for cellaring, though no question that it looks great. Wax is O2 permeable, so if there's a bad seal on the bottle, it's not going to prevent oxygen ingress. It will, as kzoobrew mentioned, provide a sort of early warning system if the bottle is leaking, which is a possible benefit.

There's probably some benefit regarding moisture (this is the primary benefit of waxing straight-corked beverages -- the aging process is manipulated since moisture can no longer move through the seal), but beer caps and corks-and-cages should be moisture-tight regardless. It would likely prevent a poorly-made cap from rusting unless moisture was trapped beneath the wax (I can't recall the specific bottles offhand, but I've had a couple waxed-by-the-brewery bottles with rusty caps).

And I'm willing to categorically state that the wax New Glarus uses provides no benefit to anybody :D
    CityofBals likes this.
  17. Agreed, I was able to rub it off with my fingers.
  18. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I used a candle (non scented) and an empty peach can all in all cost about 3 dollars and have waxed many bottles. Dries very rigid and looks good too. I went with red but any candle should work.

Cheers!
  19. I don't like wax. I always cut my hands. I am clumsy I guess.
  20. Ugh no it is a huge pain in the ass to get the wax off.
    Curt1 and rrryanc like this.
  21. I have never waxed any of my own bottles either.. The waxed ones I have had are major league PITA to prepare if you ask me. They sure look cool tho !
  22. amart79

amart79 Aficionado (130) California Jan 14, 2012

this a cool idea, i didn't even know it was this easy. I'm gonna look into this.
    ineva likes this.
  23. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

My first and only attempt at waxing bottles was on some of my corked and caged bottles. I used paraffin wax - doesn't look pretty but they're the tightest seals I've seen on a bottle. I predict that they will be a massive pain in the ass to open. But they are bottles that I hope to keep for 10+ years so it's definitely a peace of mind thing, and the inevitable ass pain is an incentive to not open them.
    lilnardey likes this.
  24. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

I tested the waxing with glue sticks and crayons at a 2:1 ratio and i noticed a lot of the wax was starting to crack a little bit. Anyone else have this issue?
  25. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (530) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Why not electrical tape? If wax is O2 permeable like someone mentioned before, wouldn't electrical tape also serve as an early warning system and provide some protection from oxygen entering the bottles? I do this not to prevent oxygen from entering the bottles but instead to keep the cap in place in case of the beer falling over or some other event that may loosen the cap.

What are your guy's thoughts on a combination of the two, wax and tape?
    swoopdog likes this.
  26. I would use bottling wax. One thing is that you have to absolutely make SURE your humidity is low and your bottle cap is dry. If there is any moisture trapped between to cap and the wax it will cause the cap to rust and that is not good for your beer. If you have multiples I would wax some and not wax some and see for yourself how they compare. There is no real scientific evidence to back the claim that waxing significantly impacts oxidation, but then again there isn't any evidence against it either. And oxygen can even permeate the glass of a bottle given enough time. If anything at least the wax looks cool, although it is annoying when you actually try to open the beer.
    jedwards likes this.
  27. Did the gold tops today. Was surprised KBE wasn't waxed already

[​IMG]

some others
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  28. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

For me its about peace-of-mind as much as potential benefit. I started waxing bottles just for trading, because I had a bottle cap blow off a bottle I had shipped, but now I do it for anything I'm putting away for a while.

I single dip my own bottles, double dip trade bottles, and use bottle wax from my local homebrew store ($11 does about 60-80 bottles)

[​IMG]
  29. I guess a potential benefit could be that you can color code beers according to years. Red 2013, blue beers from 2014, etc.
  30. After a couple months the adhesive on electrical tape gets really nasty. I would recommend F4 Tape. Good enough to stop leaks on an F4 Phantom, good enough for walez, bro.
    Kopfschuss likes this.
  31. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

This may sound really dumb, but to give a solid warning sign has anyone tried putting a small balloon around the neck, and use electrical tape to seal it?
  32. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

A balloon that isn't 02 permeable? Magic.
  33. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

I was referring to a warning on if the bottle has a bad seal. For all I know, there isn't enough c02 in the bottle to even slightly inflate a small balloon(like a mini water balloon).
  34. It sounds like a moisture trap that would rust out the cap. But it would be a fun experiment!
  35. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

this is what I do with my homebrew bottles that will see long term aging.
    quick way to identify vintages
  36. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I finally bought some bottle wax off of Amazon and plan on doing about 50 bottles tonight. I like the idea of color-coding vintages. I believe that black will be 2013 since this is the first time.
  37. LuisQ

LuisQ Aficionado (145) Florida Jan 9, 2013

let's be realistic here. the wax does very little (in fact, nothing imho) to prevent oxidation. it's purely for aesthetic purposes. the glue stick / crayon method actually looks and works fantastic. i used this site as a reference.

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/12/how-to-wax-dip-bottles.html

I did these few to add a personal touch for my trading buddies. This is the final result. [​IMG]
    newjack, TWStandley and Drunken_Monk like this.
  38. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I just don't understand why people keep saying this as if it is fact. Is there any evidence that shows waxing does not keep a beer from oxidizing, at least to some degree?
  39. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Wax is O2 permeable. We don't need evidence to say that it prevents oxidation -- the burden of proof is on those who assert that it does.
    darthvohn, Cfeezy, illeagle05 and 3 others like this.