1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Waxing my cellar. Worth the time? personal reviews?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by MCImes, Jan 21, 2013.

1. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Hello,
    I have a decent cellar going (about 6 cases) going back to 2006. Recently, I drank a bigfoot 2006 and a Woodcut #3 from my cellar, both had noticeable oxidation. This is bad. Obviously. not enough to ruin the beer, but enough to take away from its goodness. I saw the self dipping thread near the bottom of the page and see other people are waxing their commercial bottles.

My question is to someone who has done this: have you ever experimented by dipping some bottles and leaving some from the same batch undipped, then done a side by side to compare for oxidation? I assume this would work fine, but does anyone have a personal review of its efficacy? Is it worth the time to dip my stash that I know I will have for a few years?

Thanks
  2. therobot

therobot Aficionado (215) Minnesota Jun 10, 2010

Great question, I have the same one.
  3. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I did it with one pair of bottles, but it's not a broad experiment.

Stuff that has been sitting unwaxed for a few years probably already has let a fair amount of oxygen in. Waxing it will prevent more oxygen ingress, but if the bottles you drank are representative, they'll all be oxidized.