1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weasel Rodeo

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Aug 17, 2012.

1. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Drink fresh or age it? D&Q still has Drinkin in stock but no more Rodeo.
  2. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

1. If you have never had a certain beer before (Weasel Rodeo) always try it fresh first to see how it is, then age a second bottle to compare it to on down the road.

2. Its a coffee beer, and coffee flavors will fade over time, so its meant/best to drink fresh.

And thats some expensive weasel shit...
    jamescain likes this.
  3. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

both.
    paulys55 likes this.
  4. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Texas Dec 4, 2011

trade it for a bunch of stuff, ppl be crazy for their Jester King :)
    greenspointexas likes this.
  5. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Bruce, shut up...
  6. icetrauma

Only have 1 bottle so it looks like it will meet its demise this Sunday.
  7. haha no, they are just "overvalued" locals that could never pull the hyped 12,000+ bottle releases of giant midwestern breweries, dunno if you guys saw that thread....;)
    cfh64 likes this.
  8. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

9. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Link to said thread. Ill let you guys know my thought on the beer in an hr.
  10. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

11. Azzy

Azzy Savant (290) Texas Jul 16, 2012

12. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

13. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

14. Exiled

15. Is the Whiskey Barrel Weasel still available in North Texas (Collin County) area?
  16. Exiled

I dont think Whiskey Rodeo has hit DFW yet? Next week is what most are saying...
  17. TX-Badger

TX-Badger Champion (770) Texas Jun 14, 2012

I haven't seen it anywhere in Dallas yet, and checked all my local spots yesterday. Most said they expect it next week Monday or Tuesday.
  18. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

And these are the same asses who argue that ebay trading is some great violation of beer ethics. How is overvaluing something on ebay any different than hoarding beers and demanding a huge ransom for them, and then being douchy about those who can't meet that ransom? I wish I could have commented on that thread, but it got locked down.
    canadianghetto and cfh64 like this.
  19. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I was about to say the same thing. I liked the BT better...
  20. I thought CR and BT were both syrupy messes. I'd take Hunu any day!
  21. FUNKPhD

There's already a thread about Weasel Rodeo, so let's change this one's topic to about the pros and cons of Chocolate Rain and Black Tuesday.
    canadianghetto and GregSVT like this.
  22. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

I've made this same statement and asked this exact question multiple times and never get a direct answer. Instead, its things like "you don't have to try every beer" or "develop good trading partners". I get that but it still doesn't answer the question. Anyways, I'm stopping here before I go off again.
  23. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

How many people jumped on the dude offering HF for JK? *Hand raised
  24. FUNKPhD

I'm pretty sure the people that get most butthurt about it are the people that have ready access to most of the beers that were sought after on the eBay, whether through sitting on the shelf or through steady trade partners. God forbid if they would have to live in a desolate beer wasteland...
  25. FUNKPhD

I thought about it, but he wasn't offering Ann..
    Exiled likes this.
  26. icetrauma

OP says What the hell. Do it! I've had neither so.....
  27. icetrauma

Texas is starting to come out of beer wasteland. With JK and Karbach putting out some solid brews as well as 512 all we need is more time on the market. Will it reach the level of Huna's, Dark Lord l, CR or BT? Who knows, only time will tell. And yes I purposely left of the DR series because SA puts out avg beers with the exception of some of the DR's.
  28. FUNKPhD

I've only had BT on two occasions, and my buddy who procured them thought more highly of them than myself. I must admit, though, for a beer that's 18%+, it tends to be rather drinkable. I would like to try one with some age on it.
    icetrauma likes this.
  29. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

To the OP. I've noticed that my leftover Founder BS's taste better now with almost 11 months on them (I've drank 2-3 a month all year long with Sunday breakfest). I'll drink Weasel right away with a Beer Geek Rodeo...going to be a drunken start to a Sunday Funday.

Edit :Noticed I managed to work in the words drink drank and drunk(en) in that post...hehehe everyone knows where my mind is at
  30. FUNKPhD

Well, it is Friday... Isn't it?
    Exiled likes this.
  31. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

My bad. ;)
  32. cfh64

I agree. I also wonder if some of them were butthurt because if they had one of the desirable beers that they were asking so much for they get cut out of the loop when someone goes to ebay instead of giving them outrageous demands. What's that? You want $100 worth of beer for your $20 bottle? Thanks but no thanks, I'd rather go to ebay, essentialy pay the same price and not have to pay for extras, shipping, etc.
  33. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

I preferred Chocolate Rain to BT even though both are a sweet mess. I split a 2011 BT with a friend and we could barely finish our glasses. CR split with 3 people was a little better but still tough.
  34. FUNKPhD

The way I see it, it really does save a bunch of trouble. Sure, if you build a relationship with a trader partner, you're raising the possibility of getting a lot of awesome beer in one box, but if you're only looking for one beer that someone is selling on eBay for 100$, why waste the time and money?
  35. icetrauma

I've bought Westy off of the Bay because as previously stated, why wait. The funny thing about these "rare" beers is people who have them seem to want 4-5x the value of the beer. Then, they will eventually bitch about your only getting what the beer is worth when they want it. Just chalk it up to supply and demand in this crazy world of beer.
  36. FUNKPhD

We're going to get blacklisted for talking about buying beers off auction sites...
    Exiled likes this.
  37. icetrauma

What you talking about Willis?
  38. cfh64

I've already put myself out there in other threads and I'm fine with it. I think most of my "regular" trading partners even understand but most don't want to say anything for fear of being blacklisted. I'll say it again, I have and never will sell beer on ebay (even if we still could) but I have bought a few bottles from ebay and will continue to do so on occasion depending on the beer and what people are demanding for it.

Not to mention, I'm willing to bet there are more then a handful of BA's that regularly sold beer on The Bay but kept quiet about it. Actually, I know of at least a few.
  39. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

We can't have a beer like that... Breweries can't sell beer in TX.
  40. FUNKPhD

I was just joshin' about the blacklist jive, but I actually have seen people posting up on the haul thread thanking so and so on the trade, then I'd look at eBay and see the EXACT same photo.