1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weasel Rodeo

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Aug 17, 2012.

1. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

BOOOOOOOO!

2. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

I'm an Audi/VW guy myself lol.

kevinscott and wagenvolks like this.
  3. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Zapato mobile!!

4. Some HEBs have gotten them. Picked up two Bonnies, but the whiskey was already gone.

5. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I stopped by HEB Bunker Hill about half an hour after the Whiskeys sold out. I did grab 2 Weasels and a Bonnie though.

6. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

MKVI GTI, checking in. (before that a MKIV Jetta)

7. mattchow

mattchow Savant (380) Texas Jun 24, 2012

same here.. before that was a mk5 rabbit, b7 a4 avant, b6 a4, b5 s4, and touareg..

8. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Total bev Dallas, whiskey and weasel.

9. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I'm trying to decipher your coded message. Are you saying that "Total Wine in Dallas received Whiskey-Barrel Roden and Weasel Rodeo?"

10. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

Thats what I got out of it...

11. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Specs RR has all 3 JK beers in, as of this morning. Only 2 cases of Whiskey, and a lot more Weasel.

12. JCDenver

JCDenver Savant (270) Texas Feb 8, 2010

Whole foods Lakewood has 'em too (didn't buy any). And yes, it was total wine. I just moved from Denver and there is a similar store up there called total beverages!

13. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Grrr, strike 1, weasel rodeo dead flat. Damnit I hate flat beer. Nice to spend so much for flat beer.

Exiled likes this.
  14. DanzBorin

I remember Beer Geek Rodeo being pretty flat. It's not rare for stouts.

15. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Damn, that's disappointing to hear. I hope all the bottles aren't like that. Unfortunately, LA might might have some stiff competition if this pattern continues.

16. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Ive heard of few of JK beers just start spraying beer. I had a trash metal "pop" on me while It was being checked out and had another seep when it was tilted and moved around a bit.

17. DanzBorin

Commercial Suicide and Original Wytchmaker were the worst.

18. crusian

I agree. It is ok, but would be great with carbonation. Flat beer is a huge pet prevent of mine. I am trying the other two tonight too, hopefully we won't hit 3 strikes.

19. cfh64

Lets not forget about Boxers batch 1. I like JK and will continue to support them. The good news is carbonation is an issue that can be fixed, I'm just surprised they're still having these issues.

20. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I think it's these new caps with the old capper...

21. cfh64

I was wondering if its the actual beer or the caps. Either way, they should get this resolved before they keep releasing beers. They're not doing themselves any favors. The more beers they release with carbonation issues the bigger reputation they gain, negative reputation. I said I will continue to support them but that's assuming they get this under control rapidly. I think I'll wait for reviews (with the next release) before I drive all over DFW tracking down a flat beer.

What really rubs me the wrong way is they surely knew about this or knew the potential of this happening again before they bottled it, right? And yet they went ahead and did it anyways. I mean I hope I'm wrong but with this happening so often I don't know it could be overlooked.

mattisloco likes this.
  22. crusian

I completely agree. Grr

So, on to bonnie... Tastes like an extremely weak pegs cantina berliner. I have to say strike 2, to be honest. Elder flower nose, light mustard on the palate, but just so weak on the flavors... All the other berliners are bold tasting, strong.

23. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

That's disappointing

cfh64 likes this.
  24. cfh64

I just want to reiitterate that I appreciate what JK does. I like the fact that they are brewing several different styles. I like how they come on here to keep us informed. I like the collabs. The list goes on. I can only assume this will be resolved and business will be back to normal, I actually mean carbonation will be back to normal.

crusian and mattisloco like this.
  25. crusian

So, on to whiskey... Well, the bottle fill is a good 2 inches below the other 2... so strike 2.5. Lol.
    GREAT head. Looks and smells great!
    Ok, wow. This one is great. Whiskey forward, then becomes subtle across the middle and finish. Slight coffee, nice and thick, hint of spice. Yum. How do I get my other 2-3 ounces?

raffy313, Exiled and mattisloco like this.
  26. Exiled

Exiled Advocate (600) Texas May 30, 2009

Yea like I stated a few days ago my bottle of Weasel Rodeo was flat/under carbonated as well, and I really hate that it has carbonation issues, especially with using all that expensive ass weasel shit coffee in it.

But on a side not I have herd from a few different sources that the Whiskey Rodeo is fantastic! (havnt tried mine yet)

27. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Buy them a bottling line. Better yet, a canning line!

Filling all these bottles by hand must be a pain in the ass and a half, so it's understandable.

Whatever happened to the canning line anyways? I remember waaaaay back in the day they had planned to can all their beer.

28. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Cans don't come in 750ml sizes, therefore people would see how overpriced the beer actually is. $27 for a six pack of Wytchmaker? No thanks.

29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I've never seen a 750/bomber equally priced oz for oz the same as a 6/4 pack. A 4-pack of Stone Ruination is $10 while the bomber is around $8. Yet the 4-pack has twice as much beer with only a 25% premium in price.

Ounce for ounce you'll always pay less for a 4/6 pack.

Wytchmaker would be about $11-$12 a 4-pack given its usually $8.99 a bottle.

30. kevinscott

kevinscott Savant (335) Texas Oct 21, 2008

Good point.

31. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

There was a lot of yeast in the bottom of my Weasel bottle so I am hoping after a month or so it will carbonate a bit more. Can't wait to try the Whiskey version.

32. mar

mar Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 1, 2007

Pics of people drinking this from the bottle please

wolffman17 likes this.
  33. DanzBorin

Ruination comes in 4 packs now? Used to be a $14 six pack.

I'd never even touch Wytchmaker at $11 a 4 pack. Most of their beers would scare me off at that price point!

34. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (400) Texas Jun 28, 2010

There's no denying that we've struggles at times to achieve carbonation levels in our beers that are as consistent as we'd like, and we're certainly willing to accept fair and constructive criticism when it comes to this issue. At the same time, though, it's also important to understand that we're producing hand-crafted, naturally-conditioned beers, which we're currently bottling by hand, as well, and that beer that's made in this way is never going to have the same level of consistency as mass-produced,pasteurized, force-carbonated beer. This isn't to say that the beer shouldn't fall within certain parameters, which it should, but the fact that there is a certain degree of batch to batch and even bottle to bottle variation is not something that we would change.

Each batch of beer that we brew spends is bottle, keg, or cask-conditioned for at least 3-5 weeks in the case of our "clean" beers up to several months in the case of our sour, barrel-aged beers (and over a year for the recently released of Bonnie). We have no means of telling how every individual bottle from a given batch is going to pour, but, in addition to sending samples for full laboratory analysis, we pull cases at random throughout the course of conditioning to test the carbonation levels and to see how the beer is coming along. If we're not happy with how a batch is coming along, we won't release it until we are, and if that time never comes, then neither will the release.

Weasel Rodeo was a bit slow to carbonate, and there was a bit more bottle to bottle variation than we would have preferred, but in spite of the variation, we felt that all of the sample bottles that we pulled presented well when we made the decision to release it. Some may have been on the softer side of the the carbonation spectrum, and when poured very cold, may develop only a small collar of foam, but if any were truly "dead flat", meaning that there was no hiss when the bottle was opened, no dissolved CO2 detectible in the mouthfeel, and even agitating the beer failed to produce any foam, then this obviously isn't right, and in that instance, we'd ask that you contact us directly, so that we can replace the defective bottle.

If, on the other hand, there was perhaps some carbonation, but maybe not as much as you there should have been...well, that's a perfectly valid criticism and one that you're more than welcome to express in your reviews. For me, personally, carbonation tends to be somewhat secondary to the interplay of flavors and overall character of a given beer, and I'd much prefer a beer that's well formulated and executed but somewhat undercarbonated to one carbonated to factory specs, but lacking in other regards.

Regarding Bonnie the Rare, our goal in making this beer was to explore the traditional process that was once used to make this type of beer, and the flavor profile that can develop through extended bottle aging with lactobacillus. It's not the sourest Berliner Weisse on the market, nor is it intended to be. We also realize that its not necessarily going to be to everyone's taste, but it's something that we happen to love, and hope to keep brewing on a semi-regular basis.

Cheers,
    Ron Extract
    Jester King

35. cfh64

Fair enough...thanks for the explanation. I believe in the past there was mention of new bottle caps so I wasn't sure whether this was in issue dealing with just the caps, beer, etc but you have cleared that up. Thanks again for responding to our complaints, criticism etc. I know we're very critical and not easy to please. Cheers

36. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I think the most recent bottles have the new caps, dont they? I've found the caps much harder to remove lately, whereas the older ones used to seem to want to pop off all by themselves (and sometimes did!).

Thanks for the explanation, Ron. I think, like any other brewer, there are some things you guys do that are better than others, but in general I have liked something about every beer you've made, and I'm always looking forward to what you'll come up with next.

If I had one criticism, it would actually be with distribution, particularly in Austin. It seems unusual to me that Houston, Dallas and other cities have your beers on their shelves before most stores in Austin. I know this is likely an issue with a local distributor, but its frustrating to have to hear about other people enjoying your new beers sometimes a week before I can find them locally.

37. crusian

Thanks Ron, as always... A standup guy... And I as well as many others appreciate your dedication to the forum and answering questions/addressing problems. We have met many times, though not sure you know me through the anonymity of the net, but we have had hours of discussions about beer, ,etc. The weasel wasn't too cold, it was just dead. I long for good carbonation as it is the most effective distributor across the palate. I know how hard it is to bottle carbonate, but that was the choice made. To be honest, I have been damn impressed so far. It is SO hard to have consistency. There will be issues, and, unfortunately, I spent $17 and got one.

Exiled likes this.
  38. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

I've had two bottles so far, and both were just fine, though edging towards being on the lighter side of carbonation. Wasn't an issue for me; I really enjoyed it.

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  39. cfh64

Glad to report the Bonnie is drinking fine. The carbonation is just right for me. I know many people disagree but I really don't like drinking and doing work (ie mowing the lawn) at the same time. When I want a beer I normally just want to sit and do very little but enjoy the beer.

Today was a perfect example of why I appreciate JK. I decided to work on my "pub room" (staining, painting, etc) and I really wanted a beer but didn't want something that would make me too uninterested in what I was supposed to be doing if you know what I mean. Enter Bonnie...just right for the occasion. Allowed me to drink a flavorful beer with just enough alcohol to keep me motivated. Thanks JK!

40. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (445) Texas Feb 3, 2009

I agree with you! I never drink beer when I'm doing chores or working. The whole "shower beer" concept is an enormous stretch for me too, I just don't get it. Doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, I just don't understand the fascination. Oh well.

In any case, I look forward to your "pub room" pics Brad! After many years of storing beers in various locations around my house, I finally put together a pseudo-cellar yesterday. Pics here.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Chad