1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Wedding In Michigan: Craft beer suggestions?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by SirWalkAbout, Jan 25, 2013.

1. SirWalkAbout

SirWalkAbout Savant (290) Texas Dec 6, 2011

Getting married! My fiancee is leaving the beer selection up to me. We'll be getting married sometime between mid September and Mid November 2013. Like most weddings, the guest list will vary from people who enjoy craft beer, to those who probably prefer bud light; but it's our wedding so whatever! I'm looking for suggestions as to what beer to have on draft. I'm thinking 2 half barrels. Wedding will be in the metro Detroit area, so I'd rather not drive across state to aquire the kegs. Not too picky on styles, as I like most beers I encounter, but I'm thinking a light and a dark.

Overall, looking for suggestions:
    - 2 Michigan based beers
    - Appealing to the mass as much as possible (not really looking for KBS, BB4D, etc., however fun that might be)
    - Available to purchase around metro Detroit, September - November 2013
    - Any other good ideas

Thanks!
  2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Two Hearted and Oberon. Oberon may start to be more limited the later you get but it should still be relatively easy to land.
    tinypyramids and Eriktheipaman like this.
  3. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Two hearted and maybe a jolly pumkin, or brewery vivant.

Where in metro Detroit?
  4. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

There are a couple places in Livonia that get solid kegs. I've seen Two Hearted, Crooked Tree, Odd Side Citra, Oberon, and some other solid ones. Try Beer Baron, Wine Castle, and Wine Palace.
    SirWalkAbout likes this.
  5. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Honestly, Keweenaw Brewing Pick Axe Blonde is a great beer for the craft weery. Easy, not alot of flavor... But no adjuncts and it's clean tasting. Not my cup of beer, but it's good for said events.
  6. All of the above are solid choices...

Gotta promote some Short's though (Michigan only distribution as well as my employer) and recommend Pontius Road Pilsner (American Pilsner) and Bellaire Brown (American Brown Ale). Both are flavorful but can appeal to the masses too.
  7. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I'd go with kzoo and recommend Oberon. There are many BMC drinkers that also love that stuff.
  8. Two Hearted, and Breakfast stout
  9. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Congrats my friend!

Two Hearted would be a great choice.
  10. Founders All Day IPA would be a nice choice as well.
    Mothergoose03 and FEUO like this.
  11. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

side story. i picked up a keg of 312 for an outdoor engagement party. 99% percent of the people (i'm the 1%, bite me) drank bud/corona etc. people didn't know much of anything else. anyway, people were so refreshed with 312, they were drinking it like no tomorrow. bonus. we served them in mason jars. needless to say people didn't stop drinking and got everyone slammed. while this isn't a michigan beer. maybe a wheat bear? though, by november it's not too in 'season'

maybe short's brown ale, anniversale ale, or pandemonium ale? oberon is a safe bet too. i've recommended that to people and 50/50 liked it/didn't like it. anyway, people still talk about the damn 312 from the party like it was the next best thing since sliced bread. people will talk about your beer.
    SirWalkAbout likes this.
  12. SirWalkAbout

SirWalkAbout Savant (290) Texas Dec 6, 2011

Was totally thinking Two Hearted as well. I think I'll seek that one out as a definite. I'd like to represent two separate breweries. Thanks for the suggestions so far, any more are much appreciated!
  13. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

I'd suggest Founders Dirty Bastard. This is the beer that got a lot of my friends into drinking good beer. Especially the ones that don't like IPA's.
  14. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

you need one that appeals to bmc drinkers and one that appeals widely for the craft dudes. oberon and two hearted should fill those roles, respectively, and be incredibly easy to get.
  15. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

All Day
    Citra
  16. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

I agree with the Oberon for the BMC type drinkers..But for the craft drinkers, why not get you some DRIPA from Kuhnhenns
  17. Short's Brown and Pandemonium would fit well in my opinion, but Anny Ale is around 11% ABV--the fact that it's pretty easy to drink is nice but could be too much of a good time for those who aren't used to drinking those types of brews.
    JohnB87 likes this.
  18. You can always get a couple of kegs from Kuhnhenn. Loonie Kuhnie Pale Ale or their Pilsner would be good for the masses. Then their IPA or something like that.
  19. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (480) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

It's your wedding, stuff the most whacked out craft beers in their faces! Short's Bloody Beer and Kuhnhenn BBBW .
  20. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Oh man...If I could get a keg of BBBW...I'd be on a week long drunk! lol Never leave the house!
  21. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

I would follow everyone's advice about the Two Hearted. If I were to get another it would probably be either Dirty Bastard or Founders Porter.

If it were an all day long wedding then I might consider switching it up to having All Day IPA and Bell's Kzoo Stout. The drinking I've done at weddings I regret not having lower alcohol beers and having that All Day around would be awesome to drink all day long.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  22. I think having lower alcohol beers would be the key here. If people are used to drinking miller/bud, they'll probably down the beers pretty fast. I would suggest Oberon if your wedding turns out earlier in the season- its very easy to drink. Maybe a nicely made lighter beer like a pilsner or lager would be good. I actually would recommend New Holland's Full Circle Kolsch if they send those out in kegs. I got sent a bottle of that and it was delicious.

Just think about this- you can totally use your wedding to convert some people in craft beer drinkers :D I think I might do this for my own wedding if I get married someday!
  23. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I am going to add another one, Loonie Koonie Pale Ale. Hubby took a growler to poker last night and everyone loved it. Guys 23 to mid 50's, who are not craft beer drinkers, started whipping out the smart phones and googling Kuhnhenn.
  24. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (260) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I would look into Wolverine State Brewing's Wolverine Lager for the BMC drinkers and Founders Breakfast Stout for the craft beer drinkers. Both are great beers and would satisfy your guests.
  25. Congratulations!!

Good suggestions above, and I agree that you should try to keep the ABV lower when possible at weddings. You can also get more variety if you use 1/6 barrels. Bells is only available in 1/4 barrels, but most of the other Michigan breweries will have 1/6 barrels.

I would go with 3-4 1/6Barrels: New Holland Full Circle Kolsch, Short's Bellaire Brown/Pontius Road Pilsner, Dark Horse Crooked Tree IPA/Amber, Founders Porter.

If you go with 1/4 barrels: Bells Amber, Midwestern Pale Ale, Oberon or Two-Hearted.

I suggest contacting me at Beer Baron in Livonia. Wouldn't you rather buy beer from a beer store than a wine store?

I am biased, but the reviews are not. Check us out...
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23167

Cheers!!
    Darren
    SirWalkAbout likes this.
  26. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Savant (265) Michigan Sep 11, 2008

For Short's, I feel like Kolsch 45 would be a good beer for a wedding. Flavorful but also lighter.
  27. I completely agree! Unfortunately, I don't believe that's on the brew schedule this year.
  28. Congrats! I did Oberon at my wedding and it seemed to go over well. I agree with Shorts Pilsner and Founders All Day IPA. I would also check Kuhnhenn out for the Fluffer IPA and Classic American (what my non-craft drinker friends like the best).
  29. cetherid

cetherid Savant (395) Indiana Aug 23, 2010

Had Kuhnhenn DRIPA at my wedding. Talk about a fun time!!! Lots of BMC drinkers were getting pour after pour of that one!
  30. cates1tg

cates1tg Savant (255) Michigan Jul 18, 2010

I did the same thing at my wedding in July, however we had to go through the reception venue with acquiring the beer. Hopefully you're budget has some flex to it because things escalate quickly. Oberon was a winner with nearly everybody and we ran through that faster than we did bud light. I also agree on the suggestion of Short's Bellaire Brown. You have some nice contrast there that isn't going to off put anybody who isn't enamored with craft beer. Congratulations on getting
  31. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Another suggestion for the BMC drinkers is Frankenmuth Hefeweizen. Its something I believe BMC drinkers would enjoy and it has a 5% abv as well
  32. grr32

grr32 Aficionado (105) Michigan Nov 7, 2012

I did a 1/2bbl of Oberon, Founders All Day, and Coors Light. Then brought some bottles of bigger/rare beers to crack with good friends and family. Congrats!
  33. bigk84

bigk84 Aficionado (165) Michigan Jun 2, 2011

BMC drinkers tend to love Atwater Dirty Blonde, Kolsch or Purple Gang Pilsner, all above are great choices too.