1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weed beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crusian, Dec 5, 2012.

1. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

So, now that weed is legal in two states, when is a brewery going to release a weed beer? hops and buds.
  2. I doubt any alcohol regulatory agency would allow it.
    franklinn likes this.
  3. crusian

why not, caffeine is in some beer... and it would be just another legal ingredient.
  4. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I'd look forward to a Ganjanator doppel bock.
  5. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Now that would be some illegal trades if this ever came to exist.
    RyanCave, jglowe77, DonDirkA and 7 others like this.
  6. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Well its still illegal under federal law, which also "regulates" the minimum drinking age...so my guess is never, until it becomes federal legal to use cannabis. However I'm sure someone is going to make the argument hops and marijuana are related so its already happened. Just my opinion thats all
  7. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Uinta discussed the hoops they had to jump through to make beer with hemp on this podcast. Beerandraiderfan is right--since the TTB is federal, it's not going to happen.
  8. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

hm... how does thc interact with alcohol? i mean in a bottle or keg...rather than your bodies
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Washington's weed law, which goes into effect tomorrow, allows up to an ounce for personal use. It does not allow public use. So, even if a brewery could get through the regulatory hoops to make one, you could only drink it at home.
  10. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Caffeine is a bad argument, it is probably one of the most scrutinized ingredients in beverages. You can add other ingredients that contain caffeine but adding straight caffeine does not fly often.

THC is not water-soluble, beer is a bad match.
  11. heyduke

heyduke Aficionado (170) Colorado Jan 14, 2011

Isn't nectar humbolt brown brewed with hemp?
  12. Maybe Boulder will take advantage.

Also, I don't expect this thread to last.
  13. Someone could dry-hop a cask beer and only offer it on premise in a state that it's legal...
    RyanCave and WestCoastBrew2 like this.
  14. I heard that colorado breweries were experimenting with the idea earlier this year. I doubt you'd get high from it since thc is fat soluble.
    gcamparone and Kopfschuss like this.
  15. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

well, there we have it.
    Horbar likes this.
  16. mcc1654

mcc1654 Savant (355) Illinois Mar 20, 2011

Post fermentation the alcohol will extract THC. It works don't ask me how I know.
  17. Whimpers

Whimpers Savant (495) New York Dec 17, 2010

I know it's a bit off topic, but those laws in Colorado in Washington have managed to get to the point where they are actually being implemented? I guess I was kind of skeptical that would actually happen.
  18. crusian

Colorado is tomorrow I think.
  19. Over 250 court cases for possession already canceled in CO
  20. kzoobrew

I still wager that the amount of alcohol in a beer would make for poor extractors. I would also wager you would also extract a fair share of vegetal flavors which may not be all the enjoyable.
    Longstaff and cavedave like this.
  21. Another question would be if the specific "weed beer" would be allowed to be distributed outside of WA or CO?
  22. Hops are a cousin strain of Marijuana FYI and to be honest I don't want the flavor of marijuana in my beer nor do I think any reputable brewer would put any out based on the stigmatization.
  23. mcc1654

Yes, the extraction is not as effective or quick as using something like Everclear and making a tincture to add when bottling, but it still works. If you steep the herb in ~180F water it will leach out some of the vegetal flavors.
    beerFool28607 likes this.
  24. mykey120

mykey120 Aficionado (160) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2012

Its not water soluble, but it is fat, oil and alcohol soluble
  25. crusian

I really don't think that was a question.
  26. I just asked it. It is now a question.
  27. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

28. Would think you could make a weed tincture with a high ABV whiskey and add to a beer at secondary or bottling.
    MostlyNorwegian likes this.
  29. crusian

30. Oskar Blues disagrees.

[​IMG]
  31. gkatsoris

32. kzoobrew

When one would make an extract they use a high proof alcohol, beer is not going to be a great extractor. Brewers to do leave in dry hops for an extended period of time due to the off flavor they can impart. Are you going to extract anything more than a negligible contribution before off flavors are imparted?
    Adding and outside alcohol source is often not legal, you cannot add whiskey to a beer to mimic barrel aging. I am not sure where the line is drawn between extract and a "homemade" tincture but I think you are going to run into other legal issues.
  33. Because caffeine is the most accepted drug in our culture, especially for those who make business decisions, unlike marijuana. Even then, caffeine beers have still run into trouble with regulatory agencies.

Its still illegal for children to get their hands on marijuana, and this will be an easy thing for a regulatory agency to trot out as the reason to deny such a beer getting a label or whatnot.
    franklinn likes this.
  34. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Only a matter of time.

I heard somebody put a book in a beer. :eek:
  35. gkatsoris

36. Yeah they use toasted hemp seeds. Also its only sold in California due to legal restrictions.
  37. crusian

38. mcc1654

Well I never said it made the beer better or was a good idea just that it worked without making a tincture.
  39. afsdan

afsdan Savant (465) Colorado Dec 17, 2010

there's a whole lotta guessing going on in this thread. misinformation abound