1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weed beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crusian, Dec 5, 2012.

1. I've had delicious chocolate truffles made with it.

Lucidious likes this.
  2. I was going to post something but forgot what. Oh well, this homebrew is tasty.

3. Wetpaperbag

Wetpaperbag Savant (425) Washington Aug 14, 2007

Even though weed is now considered 'legal' at a state level in my state you can still get fired if you pop positive. Considering employment laws are Federal employers can kick your ass to the curb if fail a drug test for weed. So would you risk losing your job over a beer that was brewed with weed? Colorado seems to have more things in order compared to Washington who always likes to put the cart before the horse. I would wait till it was Federally approved before partaking, and I'm sure breweries are thinking the same thing.

BeerBuddy2122 and KevSal like this.
  4. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

haha, was gonna mention OB; that image did a much better job...btw, I really hope no-one smokes from OB cans.

5. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

For some reason these 2 don't seem like the greatest match. Back in my younger days when I used to partake in such activities I hated the feeling of being intoxicated by both at the same time.

Speculation aside tho I have a buddy that brewed up a batch of home brew with thc a few years ago and it got me Super stoned. So I can vouch that it is definetly possible. But as I mentioned before it was nor the best match because I doubt I'd be able to drink more than 1 12oz, let alone half of one, unless it was a very, Very small amount of thc. that would probably be the hardest part, the right blend.

Also wouldn't a beer made with thc be especially expensive? My buddy dropped a nice chunk of change on that special brew when he brewed it.

luwak likes this.
  6. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

This is the main reason I'd steer clear, working In ibew most companies I worked for screened for drug test, it was not worth the risk. Now that I work for the government it is definetly not worth the risk, even if the state approves it.

7. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

For people stating the expense... What about the soda previously posted?

8. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

That's why I quoted it...that's essentially a way to regulate it without official doing so

9. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

Really? There are debates about label art and distribution and other completely trivial things that prevent beers from being distributed and sold. You think adding a narcotic to beer will go unnoticed and unchallenged when these laws are in direct contradiction to federal laws? How is marijuana being sold in these states? I honestly don't know. As a dietary supplement I assume since those are not regulated by the FDA since they aren't considered food or drugs but supplements. If you start putting it in food products the FDA has the right and obligation to step in to make sure they are safe. It is like the cyanide found in Russian River beers from the cherry pits, it is the FDA's job to monitor and stop this sort of thing. If the FDA or any other federal agency has to inspect or approve the manufacture, safety, and sale of this product they won't allow it, no matter what the law is in Colorado or Washington.

I personally don't care whether some breweries put pot into beer or not I'm just surprised that you think that a state law all the sudden makes it a done deal. And more to your specific point, caffeine isn't illegal in 48 states or any states as a matter of fact so it is not a very thoughtful or apt comparison.

10. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

I get what you're saying, but it is federal policy, not law. Weed is illegal under federal law so the federal government can still arrest you even if the state says it is ok to smoke. If a state says its ok to drink at 18 then Uncle Sam can't do anything to you.

franklinn likes this.
  11. drabmuh

Soda isn't regulated the same way that alcohol is and from what I can tell from that horrid website is that this is only sold at dispensaries to people with "prescriptions" for medicinal marijuana. They state on their website how it is illegal for them to ship the product and how sale of it is illegal in all non-medical marijuana states.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  12. lester619

lester619 Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

Why would anyone waste perfectly good weed by soaking it in beer?

Longstaff likes this.
  13. DespiseTheIcon

DespiseTheIcon Zealot (95) Ohio Nov 27, 2012

THC is alcohol-soluble tho.

14. Many know that it can and has been done. The question really is it adding any desirable flavors - and is it worth the money to do so vs. just smoking/eating/vaporizing weed and drinking beer. IME, it strikes out on both those requirements. And then there's the topic of how dangerous is it when you have no idea of its potency in a beer? Do I drink just one, or can I have 12 without needing medical attention?

jRocco2021 likes this.
  15. Weed and beer, two of life's great joys...

alelover likes this.
  16. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Well, this is why working at a small family business is an advantage in this instance. One example is when I was working for a famous coffee shop in Philadelphia, I could LITERALLY do what ever I wanted on the job: smoke, drink, have parties there and etc.

17. Couldn't CO and WA make a weed beer and have it draft only in-state?

18. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (290) California Nov 29, 2012

19. THC is made and present in soda products in the state of CO. Suggesting it's somehow not possible beyond regulatory infractions/government oversight doesn't seem all that accurate:

http://dixieelixirs.com/products/dixie-elixirs/

Will it happen in WA and CO after pot is legalized? Probably not for those regulatory oversight issues mentioned and the fact that it's still technically illegal from the federal perspective. But believe that some brewer sees the market for such a product and can make it taste like a quality beer that gets you toasted two-ways. In fact, I'm putting a trademark on 'Toasted Two-Ways: Cannabis in a Can'.

mintjellie likes this.
  20. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

Happy end of prohibition day!! Oops sorry wrong site. ;

franklinn and mintjellie like this.
  21. drabmuh

Some soft drinks can be marketed as dietary supplements and do not have the same rules and regulations attached to them which is why some "energy supplements" can have in far excess the regulated levels of caffeine in them. This is likely what is happening with these pot sodas, they are likely labeled somewhere on the bottle "supplement". They just have to labeled as supplements or some other half measure. Anything with alcohol in it meant for consumption is subject to greater taxation and regulation than some "elixir". I'm not saying it won't happen but as long as there is a conflict between the state and federal law I don't see a brewery risking the attention.

SkeeterBoganski likes this.
  22. I have nothing against pot but in my older age pot heads are just annoying.

23. Dogfish Head's Grateful Dead collaboration beer. /thread

jRocco2021 likes this.
  24. guajolote

guajolote Savant (415) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Anyone remember this abomination?

[​IMG]

acurtis likes this.
  25. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

Absolutely true, but if you dry hemp in a 12-18% beer, you get decent extraction; additionally an alcoholic tincture in everclear would do a decent job of extraction, granted neither are as good as organic solvents, but those aren't safe for quaffing, even after removal and recrystallization of THC in a consumable solvent.

mintjellie likes this.
  26. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

27. lester619

lester619 Savant (375) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

I'm reminded of that scene in Jurassic Park where the Jeff Goldblum character says words to the effect, "Everyone was focused on if they could, nobody stopped to think if they should." Why the hell would anyone seriously want to do this? If you like pot, smoke it. If you like beer, drink it. The whole concept of a weed beer seems a little juvinile.

beertunes and pixieskid like this.
  28. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Savant (305) Michigan Jan 13, 2012

Buds n' Suds

RStang13 and cruzmissile72 like this.
  29. alelover

alelover Advocate (595) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

because it makes them both better. even though i would love a really "dank" beer i think i would enjoy one focusing more on the flavor/flower then the thc/alcohol content. takes a very high alc. to capture the thc (best with 151, 75.5%alc.) so the effect would be minimal but the flavor/aroma from a good plant..? get outta here! it would be amazing... imo of course..

30. I tried a local homebrewer's weed infused IPA. Surprisingly good! I think he said he did it with a hop back.

31. i do use cans sometimes why not make it classy like ob

on a side note, i know from experience that you can use trim and leaves to make butter, oil and even hash. I've made/eaten plenty of potent brownies and cookies, and even a pheasant dinner with potatoes with weed butter. You can get large sacks full of trim from growers for really cheap. the actual buds will yeild a stronger product though.

32. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 Initiate (0) Florida May 16, 2012

While the active substances of THC are soluble in alcohol, beer obviously doesn't have enough in it to get a good yield in extraction. You also need heat to make the THC bioavailable and able to be digested. If you add the buds in at boil there is obviously no alcohol yet so you wouldn't be extracting anything worthwhile.

The only way I see this working, without using a high alcohol content mixture would be a vegetable glycerin tincture. A drop or two in each bottle on bottling day wouldn't really effect flavor all that much.

As to how well it would work? Ask me in about a month or so. =D

franklinn likes this.
  33. The tincture method does work for imparting additional sedative properties to beer. However it does make the beer extremely cloudy in my experience.

34. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

To the Op, nice, try it if your a home brewer, better than brownies. A nice seasonal dank winter seasonal might work, and eating it you stay high for as long time.

35. mixed_master7

Thats pretty much the only problem that I've yet to resolve, although it's not really much of a problem for me. Also wondering if this will effect head retention at all...

36. My initial idea was to add this potion to a huge-large DIPA, but since it clouds the solution so much I think a very dark stout or something is a better choice. The flavor is actually quite nice.

37. mixed_master7

I can just see it now..

"CannaBeer the next gateway drug"

Possibly...and a nice roasty RIS should cover up any remaining chlorophyl/grassy taste.

I'd love to try to work it into a saison though.

38. acurtis

acurtis Champion (965) New Jersey Sep 27, 2010

Anyone remember Hempen Ale?