Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Weed Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crusian, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jds8411

jds8411 Savant (485) California Oct 12, 2008

No thanks. Especially after my horrible experience with a weed cookie. Granted, I shouldn't have eaten the whole cookie.
  2. Legalization would remove the gangs and cartels from the equation overnight. Do Pfizer and Eli Lilly hold shootouts in the street at night over control of the antidepressant market?
  3. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (365) Illinois Feb 14, 2013 Verified

No they dont, but it would be a lot cooler if they did ;)
  4. it's actually chemistry. fats are nonpolar, THC is non polar, water is polar. alcohol can dissolve both polar and nonpolar things because of how the molecule is arranged.
  5. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (390) Illinois Sep 1, 2009 Verified

Actually, eating the herb is the only way to O.D. on it, but I would wash it down with a good beer.
  6. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Advocate (580) Minnesota Feb 13, 2013 Verified

We don't know very much about you, so it's not helping your case. A person can have incredible ideas but if he can't write them properly, everyone will think he is an idiot.
    Blueribbon666 and Gemmell like this.
  7. orcrist_cleaver

orcrist_cleaver Savant (460) New York May 3, 2014 Verified

As pot is now legal in what are arguably the two-leading states in the craft brew movement, is there anything in line for a pot-infused beer? Hemp oil seems to translate well to beer, and to my knowledge, Humboldt Hemp Ale is the only example. Your thoughts on these two movements aligning in the future.
  8. zid

zid Advocate (700) New York Feb 15, 2010 Verified

My thoughts: The beer world could do with less attention grabbing novelties rather than more.
  9. beersdmf17

beersdmf17 Savant (430) Illinois Jun 26, 2012 Verified

O'Fallon has done Hemp Hop Rye
  10. jmw

jmw Savant (440) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

too pricey
  11. StLeasy

StLeasy Advocate (520) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Washington leading the country in craft...? :p

For starters, the only way to get an end-product with active cannabinoids (THC, CBD, etc.) would be to brew with an (alcohol or similar) extract. THC and other "actives" aren't water soluble, so simply adding them to the brewing process, or dry-hopping with flowers (buds, nugs) at the end, would only impart some flavor/aroma, but not actives.

If you were to use an extract, though, sure. They're commonly called "tincture" in the medical scene, and making a "green beer" is probably as simple as adding enough tincture to your brewing process.

Also, besides that Humboldt beer, Uinta's Dubhe and O'Fallon's Hemp Hop Rye use hemp seed oil off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more
  12. Pahn

Pahn Champion (840) New York Dec 2, 2009 Verified

1) lagunitas

2) much like vanilla being added to beer rarely being as good as "the vanilla note" of an oak bourbon barrel, i doubt weed could ever add as much goodness (flavor-wise) as weed-like hops. the real thing isn't always better.

3) sure, why not.

4) i didn't know they legalized pot in VT.
    jRocco2021 likes this.

RBCORCORAN Savant (440) Massachusetts May 18, 2009 Verified

Make a batch of green dragon then add to beer or drink on the side. I prefer it by itself.
  14. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (450) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010 Verified

My input might be relevant as I've had homebrew that was legally made with hash oil.

• I had both an IPA and Honey Porter. So two of the basic spectrum of styles.
    • In the IPA besides the obvious effects of the weed it was very pleasant tasting. Only detraction taste wise was the slight grassy note (think lawn clippings) in the finish. In the porter it was completely unnoticeable. The nose in the IPA suffered a bit because it smelled like weed, literally. The porter you couldn't tell until it warmed.
    • The effects where as expected except I was surprised how fast it worked I could feel it before I finished the beer. So maybe 10 or 20 minutes.

My conclusion is it's never going to improve the taste of any beer in the same way adding fruit, spices, or other specialty ingredients would and therefore not a viable ingredient in that regard. However, it was an enjoyable experience and while it didn't enhance the flavor or my enjoyment of the beer itself the important thing is it didn't detract from it.
  15. fuhkyou

fuhkyou Savant (315) Idaho Feb 20, 2013

Don't know if this has been brought up before but since the weed is legal in Washington, Colorado, and possibly other/s is there any publicly available beer made with at least a bit of the herb added?

Buzz beer... lol
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx likes this.
  16. Warg68

Warg68 Disciple (60) Illinois Jun 10, 2015

Some mention of this in the home brew forum but have not heard of a commercial beer yet. A few with Hemp. Humboldt Brewing.
  17. stealth

stealth Advocate (680) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011 Verified

fuhkyou and xxxxxxxxxxxxx like this.
  18. Someone in my homebrew club made one - it was surprisingly good!
    fuhkyou likes this.
  19. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Aficionado (130) Illinois Apr 1, 2015 Verified

That beer could be useful as bong water.
  20. I don't think the TTB would ever allow it, at least not anytime soon. There's been a few with hemp seeds or some other non-thc weed related products, but not bud.

I've had a few homebrewed versions to varied success, most of them not so good, and at best have been average.
  21. Stezz420

Stezz420 Advocate (610) Illinois Sep 25, 2014 Verified

I think your better off just smoking it while you drink your tasty beer to complament each other. I do it all the time, I mean never inhale I just like the way it smells ;)
  22. Urk1127

Urk1127 Advocate (625) New Jersey Jul 2, 2014 Verified

Like with anything its probly best by itself in it own form and way of doing things Nd i would see it as a novelty anyway, plus i dont smoke and some beers already come across as that type smell, (hop hunter) Ex; Its kinda like this place by me makes pork roll (taylor ham for some of you) into the shape of a hot dog, to eat like a hot dog but you know, its better in the original way.
  23. Crim122

Crim122 Savant (290) North Carolina Aug 4, 2014 Verified

I dont like to mix the two, I get the spins terribly.
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  24. Gemmell

Gemmell Savant (375) Illinois Nov 29, 2014 Verified

Our next President ladies and gentleman...
  25. It won't happen because anyone who has tried them has come to the conclusion that it ruins both your stash and the beer that you tried to put it into. They taste terrible, it's just a stupid novelty. Keep the two separate.
    Strangestbrewer likes this.
  26. BenOdeski

BenOdeski Zealot (80) Texas Jul 1, 2014

if hombrewed into an dipa recipe you wont taste it. I mean I wouldn't know, but a friend told me
  27. SamN

SamN Advocate (540) Colorado Aug 7, 2009 Verified

But aren't cannabinoids soluble in alcohol? I've had tinctures that are basically buds soaked in Everclear, delivered via an eyedropper, so couldn't a very high ABV beer (ilike a imperial IPA) effectively leech THC and create a psychoactive effect?
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (690) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Fat solubility I believe. An oatmeal stout would be a great candidate... so I have heard.
    Also Dad and Dudes made Indica and Sativa IIRC for GABF this year using cannibanoids but no THC.
  29. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (625) Ohio Jul 4, 2008 Verified

No, the suits are more insidious in their "shoot outs", at the very least disputes are handled on the golf course or at the country clubs.
  30. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (625) Ohio Jul 4, 2008 Verified

Seriously well said...ahem pumpkin beers.
  31. HorseheadsHopHead

HorseheadsHopHead Savant (430) New York Sep 15, 2014 Verified

Just drink IPAs with Simcoe hops. Heavily Simcoe-hopped beer smells like weed to me. Especially Smuttynose Finestkind.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  32. They already have this at the legal Marijuana spots. First saw this over a year ago probably. There is THC infused into it.
  33. utopiajane

utopiajane Poobah (1,005) New York Jun 11, 2013 Verified

I'll be the mom because I am seven pages late. Marijuana would not impart any appreciable flavor to beer and because it is fat soluable would also not impart any effects. Have you had that Peace hemp seed cereal from that cult guy in India. Like that. Gruit beer though . . .
    Shroud0fdoom, 2beerdogs and Lare453 like this.
  34. pat61

pat61 Champion (865) Minnesota Dec 29, 2010 Verified

Weed beer would undoubtedly be a waste of good pot and good beer.
  35. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (390) Illinois Sep 1, 2009 Verified

You're the best Mom, hemp seed cereal? Do seeds have any effect? My Mom likes the gummy bears :D
    Seriously, aren't hops and hemp part of the same genus? The smell of IPA's reminded myself of weed, which I do like and drew me to them and combining them in the traditional sense, sip and smoke makes the most sense to me.
    Drinking a beer that gets you buzzed and drunk? I'm assuming you could only have one or two and then switch to a non cannabis beer just like eating "baked"cookies or brownies and in my Moms case, gummy bears
  36. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Savant (415) Georgia Sep 22, 2011

37. Dan_K

Dan_K Savant (375) Colorado Nov 8, 2013 Verified

It's illegal to make such a thing.
  38. scottbrew4u

scottbrew4u Advocate (645) Pennsylvania Feb 2, 2005 Verified

Had a Homebrew amber ale about 8% abv that had a lot of buds in it from someone's homegrown. It did in fact give a buzz similar to smoking herb but it did not last as long. It took over an ounce of bud in a 5 gallon batch and yes there was a vegetal taste that was tough to get past. Point being it is not cost effective and will probably not happen in production.
    fuhkyou and tmbgnicu like this.