1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weed beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crusian, Dec 5, 2012.

1. jds8411

jds8411 Savant (465) California Oct 12, 2008

No thanks. Especially after my horrible experience with a weed cookie. Granted, I shouldn't have eaten the whole cookie.

2. Legalization would remove the gangs and cartels from the equation overnight. Do Pfizer and Eli Lilly hold shootouts in the street at night over control of the antidepressant market?

cruzmissile72 and DHS1029 like this.
  3. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

No they dont, but it would be a lot cooler if they did ;)

tehzachatak likes this.
  4. it's actually chemistry. fats are nonpolar, THC is non polar, water is polar. alcohol can dissolve both polar and nonpolar things because of how the molecule is arranged.

5. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

Actually, eating the herb is the only way to O.D. on it, but I would wash it down with a good beer.

6. We don't know very much about you, so it's not helping your case. A person can have incredible ideas but if he can't write them properly, everyone will think he is an idiot.

7. As pot is now legal in what are arguably the two-leading states in the craft brew movement, is there anything in line for a pot-infused beer? Hemp oil seems to translate well to beer, and to my knowledge, Humboldt Hemp Ale is the only example. Your thoughts on these two movements aligning in the future.

8. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

My thoughts: The beer world could do with less attention grabbing novelties rather than more.

9. beersdmf17

beersdmf17 Savant (370) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

O'Fallon has done Hemp Hop Rye

10. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

too pricey

11. StLeasy

StLeasy Savant (410) Illinois Sep 8, 2013

Washington leading the country in craft...? :p

For starters, the only way to get an end-product with active cannabinoids (THC, CBD, etc.) would be to brew with an (alcohol or similar) extract. THC and other "actives" aren't water soluble, so simply adding them to the brewing process, or dry-hopping with flowers (buds, nugs) at the end, would only impart some flavor/aroma, but not actives.

If you were to use an extract, though, sure. They're commonly called "tincture" in the medical scene, and making a "green beer" is probably as simple as adding enough tincture to your brewing process.

Also, besides that Humboldt beer, Uinta's Dubhe and O'Fallon's Hemp Hop Rye use hemp seed oil off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more

12. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

1) lagunitas

2) much like vanilla being added to beer rarely being as good as "the vanilla note" of an oak bourbon barrel, i doubt weed could ever add as much goodness (flavor-wise) as weed-like hops. the real thing isn't always better.

3) sure, why not.

4) i didn't know they legalized pot in VT.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  13. Make a batch of green dragon then add to beer or drink on the side. I prefer it by itself.

14. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

My input might be relevant as I've had homebrew that was legally made with hash oil.

• I had both an IPA and Honey Porter. So two of the basic spectrum of styles.
    • In the IPA besides the obvious effects of the weed it was very pleasant tasting. Only detraction taste wise was the slight grassy note (think lawn clippings) in the finish. In the porter it was completely unnoticeable. The nose in the IPA suffered a bit because it smelled like weed, literally. The porter you couldn't tell until it warmed.
    • The effects where as expected except I was surprised how fast it worked I could feel it before I finished the beer. So maybe 10 or 20 minutes.

My conclusion is it's never going to improve the taste of any beer in the same way adding fruit, spices, or other specialty ingredients would and therefore not a viable ingredient in that regard. However, it was an enjoyable experience and while it didn't enhance the flavor or my enjoyment of the beer itself the important thing is it didn't detract from it.