1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Week in Belgium, one day in Brussels

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by rapidsequence, Apr 1, 2012.

1. I'm going on a cycling trip in Belgium in early June. We'll be staying in a bed and breakfast in Brakel, which is in East Flanders near Oudenaarde, and cycling in that area with a guide. Prior to the cycling, my buddy and I will be in Brussels for 30 hours or so. We'd like to do some of the "must see" stuff in Brussels like Cantillon and hit some bars. Where is the best area, or particular hotels to stay in? Cost (within reason) is secondary to location.
  2. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

As for pubs I like to visit when in the fabulous city of Brussels:

It's a bit touristy but the Delirium Cafe is a fun stop at times http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8986. It's smoke free now so you don't leave smelling like a chimney.

Right across from the Manneken Pis is the a quirky place with a pretty good beer selection called Poechellekelder. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8986. There a oodles of marionettes and Manneken pis statues dressed up in outfits. Staff is friendly and a great place to grab a few after seeing the peeing boy lol..

Finally, off of the Grand Platz, the North east street exit I think, is a small cafe/bar that serves Westvletern 12. It's expensive, €12 a bottle but if you haven't had, you must. Sorry I can't recall the name but there are four "exit" streets off the respective corners of the Grand Platz. It is right as exit on the street that has all the kebab/gyro restaurants. You will know it when you see it lol.
  3. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

I've spent lot's of time in Brussels over the past 15 years. Given your very limited time, my advice is to check out Moeder Lambic Fontainas and Le Bier Circus for beer and have dinner at the excellent Restobieres(specializing in beer cuisine) - http://www.restobieres.eu/index.php/. You could do Moeder Lambic in the afternoon after seeing the Grand Platz with the tourists. Later, eat at Restobieres, then visit Bier Circus for the rest of the evening. Sit at the small bar in back and ask owner Patrick for some more unusual suggestions from his great beer list.

Forget the silly Mannekin Pis statue. While Poechenellekelder has a decent beer list, it's usually full of the gawking tourists that flock to the stupid statue. Likewise, the Delirium is the ultimate beer tourist trap in Brussels and is a waste of time, regardless of the size of it's beer list. Brussels has much better to offer. See my review for a different take on it. You'll need a good street map to find Restobieres and Le Bier Circus, but it's not too difficult.
  4. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

The central square in Brussels is called "Grand Place" (French) or "Grote Markt" (Dutch). There is no "Grand Platz" in Brussels. :rolleyes:
  5. Tut

You are correct - and I know better. I was rushed and had just read the post above mine. Cheers
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  6. Tut

For a great hotel for one night you can't do better than the location and old world elegance of the Hotel Metropole. It's only about $160 and you'll be splitting that. Live it up! Book through Hotels Combined. Check the pics on the Metropole's website. The entrance , main lobby, and bar are very posh. I've been inside but never stayed because it was too expensive for the longer stays I have in Brussels. It's amazing. Same price as the Hotel Opera. http://www.hotelscombined.com/SearchedHotel.aspx?fileName=Metropole_Hotel_Brussels&languageCode=EN&currencyCode=USD&destination=city:Brussels&radius=0mi&checkin=2012-06-16&checkout=2012-06-17&Rooms=1&adults_1=2&returnPath=/SearchResults.aspx?languageCode=EN&currencyCode=USD&destination=city:Brussels&radius=0mi&checkin=2012-06-16&checkout=2012-06-17&Rooms=1&adults_1=2&pageSize=15&pageIndex=0&sort=Distance-asc&showSoldOut=false&view=hc_sr_summary&scroll=1270&mapstate=contracted
  7. Tut

Sorry, $160 is for weekends - weekdays are more. Still, it may be worth it.
  8. I am three days away from heading this way. Tut was kind enough to provide some great advise directly and we will be following it. (but we still will take the kids to peak at the statue! ;))

Can NOT wait.