1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Week on Lower Cape in July

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by fx20736, Mar 26, 2013.

1. fx20736

fx20736 Member

We live in Upstate NY but are taking our family vacation in North Truro in July. This willl be our 2nd Summer on the Cape and I can hardly wait. Last Summer I tried to only drink regional beers, Cisco, Ipswich, Mayflower and Offshore. I want to do the same this year but want to make sure I don't miss anything good. I want to buy the best Pale Ales and Lagers suitable for drinking on the beach. What other breweries should I be looking for? Also, what are some good bottle shops in P'town or maybe Orleans?

thanks
  2. Archemedies

Archemedies Member

They don't make lagers, but check out Cape Cod Beer. You typically find their growlers in a lot of stores around cape. Visit them in Hyannis if you have time. As for lagers, Jacks Abby is all you need. The problem is finding Jacks Abby products fresh that far down cape.

For stores you either want to hit Windmill Liquors in Orleans or Town Center Wine and Spirits in Eastham. My vote goes for Town Center.
    JrGtr and fx20736 like this.
  3. Dools9

Dools9 Member

Such a nice area. Not exclusive to MA, but Narragansett Summer Ale comes in cans and is a perfect, low abv beach and summer beer.
    fx20736 likes this.
  4. emannths

emannths Member

Fwiw, "Lower Cape" tend to include the likes of Brewster/Chatham/Harwich, which is quite a hike from N Truro. I'd use "Outer Cape," which is about Eastham - Provincetown.

Berkshire growlers make it out to the Cape. I'd pick up the porter. Keep any eye out for the Wachusett Light IPA in cans--sounds like a good beach beer.

When shopping for beer on the Cape, watch the dates closely. Old beer is rampant.

If you're driving from upstate NY, do yourself a favor and load up at Julio's at the 90/495 junction. It's one of the best stores in the state, and it beats the pants off of any store within 90 minutes of Truro.
    Horbar, Stormfield and fx20736 like this.
  5. WeymouthMike

WeymouthMike Member

In p-town there is a shop in the strip mall across from stop and shop but I would stock up before getting to truro. Downtown on Commercial St is the Squealing pig which has a decent selection, Im usually vacationing in Truro during the Nfl preseason and head here to catch the game and a couple beers.
  6. KBrennan1000

KBrennan1000 Member

I'd say also swing in to Cranberry Liquors in Harwichport on your way to the Outer Cape. They're doing the Lord's work on Cape Cod. Small store, solid, well thought out selection and really good people.
    phishfoolme likes this.
  7. jamvt

jamvt Member

If you're coming from upstate my recommendation is to stop in at Julio's in Westborough on your way. If you take 90 from NY, Julio's in 10 minutes off the pike. You can then jump on 495 all the way to Cape Cod. 495 is only a few minutes from Julio's.
    Horbar, Stormfield and fx20736 like this.
  8. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Member

Good to know about Cranberry stepping up the game. A couple of easy options are Yarmouth Wine and Spirits (Exit 8) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28571and Ring Bros (Exit 9A) http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3934. Both are no more than a minute from the exit and both are on the better end of the quality spectrum, in my opinion. I prefer Ring Bros myself. Cranberry is definitely a good ways out of the way, but I trust KBrennan on the recommendation. I haven't been there in many, many years.

I also enjoyed Nor'East Beergarden in Provincetown last summer. It's a tight space but the tap selection was top notch. Nothing better than drinking a beer outside. Their website definitely indicates they will be open for another go round this summer. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23662/view=beerfly

There's also a good place to grab a drink (selection is nothing special at all) directly across the street from Nor'East. You walk through an indoor "mall" to the end of the building and you are right on the water rasied up from the "beach" there. Definitely a good vibe and nice view. I think that's called Aqua Bar (but could be wrong).
  9. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Do what other people said and stop at Julio's. also, could be worth stop at Jacks Abby in Framingham right off the Pike
  10. fx20736

fx20736 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the idea of stopping at Juilos to grab a couple of cases on the way. I am also eager to try Naragansett beers and I think Rhode Island qualifies as 'local'. Last summer I really developed a taste for Offshore Ale's Menemsha Creek Pale Ale, I also though Whale's Tale from Cisco was an easy drinker. I plan to do nothing for a week but swim, eat and drink beer. I want easy to quaff beers that don't demand too much attention. I just prefer to focus on regional beers that are not available in Rochester, NY which knocks Smutty and Harpoon our of the picture. I remember seeing the Cape Cod Beer signs last Summer and plan to give that a shot as well.
  11. jamvt

jamvt Member

One of my favorite parts of shopping at Julio's (besides the insane selection) is the 15% off of any singles, this includes any size bottles or cans, when you buy 6.
  12. fx20736

fx20736 Member

I just read about Naragansett. The fact that it is brewed in my hometown of Rochester, NY and was the sponsor of the Red Sox for 30 years (I am a Sox fan) scream for me to buy this beer. How does the 'Gansett Lager taste? Is it a straight AAL or does it have a little character? What about the Summer Ale?
  13. Dools9

Dools9 Member

Its a shame that they haven't yet moved production to RI yet, but supposedly they are getting close. The Lager isn't really anything special, but for an AAL its actually not too bad, has a bit more flavor and feel that your Bud or Coors and goes good with fresh fried seafood. The Summer Ale is a pretty damn tasty summer beer and uses a decent douse of citra hop in the recipe, its really sessionable and affordable too. I think a six of tall boys goes for 8-9 bucks, I drank around two cases last summer.
  14. mclaughlindw4

mclaughlindw4 Member

Not beer related but you should go to get pizza at sweet tomatoes. It's been years since I have had it. So long in fact that I have built it up in my head as being the best pizza ever. Either way it is damn tasty.
  15. dennho

dennho Member

Narragansett Summer is the perfect Cape Cod summer beer. Remember "Jaws?" The lager is my favorite AAL, but that's like being my favorite Yankee player.
    You might want to consider stopping at Wegman's Supermarket in Northborough. They're becoming good competion for Julio's and have better pricing. You can also grab a bite to eat there.
    Get anything from Wormtown, Pretty Things, Jacks Abby and you'll be happy.
    Dools9 likes this.
  16. Kinsman

Kinsman Member

'Gansett Lager, along with many other regional oldies like Ballantines, Schlitz, and Gennesee, are riding the PBR/anti-BMC/hipster coattails around New England but it's definitely one of the better ones. Cheaper than PBR often and offers quite a nice character. I think of it as a BMC lagers with a little extra 'oomph'.
    That being said, it's the 'Gansett seasonal where the value truly comes in. Often times they're priced at $8-9 for a 6-pack of pounders and they're comparable with some of the more respected craft breweries. Summer Ale is great for beach day and the rest of the year we're spoiled with Bock, Fest, and Porter. Bock is excellent, Fest is a great cheaper/oz alternative than the imports, and Porter is a nice light alternative when the robustness of Smutty or Founders is more than you need.
    Dools9 likes this.
  17. CapeCodBeer

CapeCodBeer Member

You've gotten good advice in terms of places to stop and go..certainly if you have the time please try to stop by the brewery. We are hoping to have some time and space for specialty beers this summer..and are moving to tours every day at 11 of of May 1.

I might have to disagree about the comment old beer being rampant here...but maybe my perspective is different. Our beer is super fresh and kept cold, and sells thru fast so it's not a big issue...at least for us.

While you are on cape you can try our beer finder app..which will give you an idea of which of our brands are available where. Also most places that carry any craft carry our beers... You can find it at http//find.capecodbeer.com

If you have other specific questions the contact us form on our website goes to my desk..feel free to ask. Lived here a long time.

Also if you Facebook...we post lots of info of fun things going on around the cape..so check us out while you are here.

Cheers...and watch out for sharks!
  18. emannths

emannths Member

Really? Where is the packaging date on the growlers?
    halfshell and jmu500 like this.
  19. KBrennan1000

KBrennan1000 Member

I've personally never run into any old Cape Cod Beer. At my old store it never sat for more than a few weeks. From what I've been told by other stores on Cape (before I relocated), they've had the same experience. As far as packaging dates on growlers, it doesn't make sense in my mind to time/date stamp them if they're getting re-used frequently. Unless your statement was tongue in cheek. In which case I withdraw my statement.
    CapeCodBeer likes this.
  20. emannths

emannths Member

Without dated packaging, how would you know?

If a brewer is going to promote the freshness of his products, they'd better have dates on them, that's all. Otherwise, just don't say anything.
  21. fx20736

fx20736 Member

what are the laws about beer sales in grocery stores in MA?
  22. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Basically not allowed (I could get into the laws but that's about all you need to know). A few select stores do sell beer (Wegmans in Northborough, Shaw's on Huntington Ave in Boston) but there aren't many
  23. emannths

emannths Member

An owner/corporation may only sell beer at 5 locations. So beer sales are allowed at grocery stores, but at no more than 5 locations per chain.
  24. willbm3

willbm3 Member

And only one location per town. Also, I believe you start with 3 and can "work your way up" to 5 licenses. I may be wrong...haven't looked into our stupid protectionist laws in some time.
  25. fx20736

fx20736 Member

the fact that the Wegman's in Northborough sells beer is huge. Wegmans is based in Rochester and the idea that we could get groceries at a reasonable price+beer before getting to the Cape is awesome beyond words.
  26. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Yea it's a HUGE store and has a massive alcohol section. I wouldn't count on finding anything super rare there but they'll have anything regularly distributed in MA, and a lot of it

They also have a good selection of liquor if you want some G&T's at the beach!
  27. emannths

emannths Member

It's here. Looks like it's now one per "town" or two per "city," and the fourth and fifth licenses cost an extra $5000. In 2016 you can have 7 licenses, and in 2020 you can have 9 licenses, but still only 1/town or 2/city.
  28. willbm3

willbm3 Member

Awesome. Can't wait for 2020 to roll around :/
  29. KBrennan1000

KBrennan1000 Member

I work in the industry on the retail side and I sold a ton of Cape Cod Beer before I started working off Cape. If memory serves, they do date stamp the cases. Beth will have to say for sure on that one though.
    CapeCodBeer likes this.
  30. CapeCodBeer

CapeCodBeer Member

All cape cod beer growlers are batch dated on the neck tag, and rotated by our staff upon delivery.
    Every single one.

And I am not sure why you have to be so confrontational...

And thank you Kyle for trying to defend us. We pride ourselves in selling fresh local beer..that's it. And those who do business with us understand that..so thanks again!
    DougC123 likes this.
  31. fx20736

fx20736 Member

I def. plan to try Cape Cod beer this Summer. Question: Why is the Pilsener only avaliable in April/ May?
  32. Flashy

Flashy Member

Jacks Abby and Cape Cod Beer!
  33. Archemedies

Archemedies Member

They are a small brewery and can't make all their beers year round. They have been experimenting with a lot of new styles recently so they might release some cool stuff in the summer.
  34. fx20736

fx20736 Member