1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weihenstaphener Hefe bottle shape

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by copybingo, Jan 4, 2013.

1. I recently picked up a six pack of Hefe at my local Wegman's after my son recommended it to me. Researching the ratings here at BA, I noticed in the picture that the shape of the neck on the bottle seems to be slightly different on the six I picked up. The label is identical, just the bottle shape is different. What's up?

2. They must be using different bottles now

Onenote81, jesskidden and djaeon like this.
  3. I thought of that, but the "old" bottle style is still on their website. Interesting...

4. Do they have multiple bottle sizes (six packs of 11.2 oz, and large 500-600ml)? It can be hard to determine bottle size from a picture sometimes. I was dissapointed when I got my westy brick and the bottles were different from the ones they use in Belgium. Same bottle design as westmalle and new belgium beers.

5. Ah. That's probably it. I'll check. Thanks.

6. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

If it was a six-pack I'd imagine the bottles to be 33cl ones, which tend to be more squat and have a neck as opposed to the 50cl standard German bottles which don't have a clear distinction between the body and neck of the bottle.

7. On a side note, I'm curious how available Weihenstephaner beers are. After seeing on here that they have a great Hefeweizan, I noticed at my local German deli that they have 16 ounce bottle selections of almost all of their beers at about 3.25 a pop. Not bad.

8. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

they went from 12 oz to 11.2 in the states. more and more imports are changing to this.

9. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

my oh my what a clever ruse and their non-imperial units!

how dare they steal my precious 23.6588 mL!

10. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

they're still using the same 6 pk cartons, the new bottles don't fit snugly in them as they had before. same with franziskaner and pilsner urquell.

11. I see them all over SoCal.

12. When it comes to German styles (heffeweizen, dunkelweizzens, etc) they are one of, if not, the best.
    [​IMG]