1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weihenstephaner Vitus and Korbinian in Twin Cities

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by bigdaddypolite, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Not sure why it took me a few months to mention this, but...

Both of the beers mentioned in the Title were sadly, strangely absent from the Twin Cities for the past several years, and just started showing up on local shelves again this summer. It always seemed odd to me since we get the rest of the standard lineup from Weihenstephaner, and I see both of them in pretty much every other state where Weihenstephaner is distributed.

Since weizenbocks (Vitus) and doppelbocks (Korbinian) don't get much attention, it may have flown under the radar for some folks. For anyone who has not had either of these but is otherwise amenable to German style beers, I highly suggest trying both of them since they are amongst the very best of their respective styles.

Hopefully they will stick around for awhile rather than disappearing for years at a time once again...

Chaz likes this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Weird. I have seen both brands being "liquidated" at a local mom and pop (why do I still shop at such places? Not for four year old weizenbocks, surely), but the fact that they went missing for so long made me wonder:

- Weihenstephan is the oldest commercial-scale production brewery in the world.
    - Both brands are outstanding examples within their style.

As such the availabillty for these should never have been an 'issue.' Has the wholesale distribution range changed, or is still as scattershot as it was ten years ago? The last wholesaler of record that I knew of was Tri-County (and Locher bought their portfolio and range over a year ago now -- discuss amongst yourselves.)

3. Chaz

D'OH! Just missed the editing period. But as Roseanne Roseannadanna would say: "Nevermind."

If the importer is still Total Beverage Solution, then the Cities' wholesaler of record is Hohensteins of Woodbury. Give 'em a call and kvetch at them.

4. morimech

morimech Advocate (700) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I remember asking about these two Weihenstephaner beers for years at MN stores. I was always told they were not available. No reason given. I have bought a few bottles of Vitus now that they have suddenly appeared. Such a great beer. Korbinian is also very good although I have not bought any since it appeared in MN.

5. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Both are among my favorite beers of all time....glad to hear they are back....

Chaz likes this.
  6. Chaz

When I first found out about Korbinian I tried a bottle and went crazy for it, and immediately bought all I could find at "The Liquor Depot." My boss of course thought it was "a dud, just like a lot of the other imports", and wouldn't stock it where I worked at the time (and so I special ordered a few cases at a time -- strictly for home use. :D)

7. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

For some reason, we still aren't getting their Kristallweissbier, which is also excellent.

8. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Odd you can't get these. They (and all other merchant du vin products) are with Johnson Brothers here in Nebraska and almost always available.

9. Look for the Weihenstephan Gift Pack, which just hit shelves last week. The ones I have seen all contain:
    • Original Premium
    • Hefeweissbier
    • Kristallweissbier
    • Hefeweissbier Dunkel
    • Vitus
    • Weihenstephan 0.5 liter weissbier glass
    I found the gift pack for $11.49 at The Cellars in Roseville. Bought 2, but wish I had been greedier.

10. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Cool gift pack! I need to see if we can get that in at Beertopia in Omaha!