1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weissbier. Does anything else compare?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by iseethewhitewhale, Jan 26, 2013.

1. iseethewhitewhale

iseethewhitewhale Initiate (20) Jan 26, 2013

Essentially the Missus and I have began to explore the variety of Weissbeir available to us in Australia. Our latest tastes include Franziskaner and Weihenstephaner varients, I was wondering from this avenue of tasting- what would be the next stage of tasting? Any ideas mates?
  2. Maybe try some of the American wheat beers (Pyramid, Widmer) and see if you enjoy those. I don't personally, I prefer the German/German-style. You can also try the different types of wheat beers: Kristall Weizen (a filtered hefeweizen); Dunkelweizen (a darker hefeweizen); Weizenbocks (hefeweizens brewed to dopplebock strength). Some of my favorites have been Tucher Kristall Weizen, Sam Adams Dunkelweizen, and Aventinus Wheat-Dopplebock.

Oh, and I almost forgot to include the Belgian variety, called witbiers. Some of the more popular ones include Hoegaarden or Blue Moon. My favorite witbier hands down is St Bernardus White.

Hope this helps. Happy tasting!
  3. lookrider

lookrider Savant (390) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Try Sierra Nevada Kellerweis - it's a great American hefe
  4. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I started on wheat beers, both american and german, and jumped to witbiers and saisons. Moved through the belgians prettty quickly and started in on the english ales. Now I'm back to american ales, currently on an american pale kick. I would check out some of the witbiers, st b's white is nice, and maybe check out a few saisons as well. I'm not too sure what makes its way down under, but anything from fantome usually. Exemplifies the style.
    TongoRad likes this.
  5. Witbiers, and St Bernardus in particular, are a great place to start branching out. Then maybe on to Belgian Pale Ales.

I also like the dunkelweizen suggestion- Hacker-Pschorr makes a really good one.
  6. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I don't know what's available in Australia but Belgian witbiers and saisons are probably the natural progression. Certainly different but has a lot of the same qualities. There's just something about Belgian yeast.. so good.
  7. I completely agree. It is easily the best American hefe.
  8. Kristallweizen ~filtered hefe, way better than, that sounds (Weihenstephaner Kristall Weissbier,…), Gose ~ basically a hefe with lactic acid & salt (Bayerischer Bahnhof Original Leipziger Gose,…), Witbeer (St. Bernardus Wit, Struise Wit,…), saisons (Dupont, Dormaal Wit Goud,…), afterwards get a Schneider Aventius.

I tried getting stuff that you might get hold of @ Australia but I have no idea what is available over there – cheers & enjoy
    acevenom, djsmith1174 and Momar42 like this.
  9. A lot of people suggesting witbier, which I've always seen as beer for people who don't like the flavour of beer. I certainly wouldn't call it a progression from wiezenbier but everyone has a different beer journey. First, stick with wiezenbier and try Schneider & Son's Aventinus Tap 6. It's dark and tastes of purple fruits, and it's insanely, insanely good. Then move on to it's crazy Eisbock counterpart, which is one of a kind. Not recommended in 40°C though. Otherwise with your newfound taste for yeast why not move onto Belgian pales and work upwards from there.
    FriarTuckInLuck and Momar42 like this.
  10. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Perhaps the most easily accessible but Live Oak Heffeweizen from Austin, TX has it beat for best USA Heffeweizen.
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Stick to Germans. Avoid the "American Wheat" style in which the flavors are intentionally taken out.
  12. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Triples.
    Like a weiss on steroids if done right!

Cheers!
  13. iseethewhitewhale

iseethewhitewhale Initiate (20) Jan 26, 2013

Lovely, thanks mates. Im enjoying another drop of Weihenstepaner Hefe Dunkel at the mo, very keen to see if i can source some of these American weiss beirs even if they dont quite stack up to the barvarian equivalents i'm still interested to try them. Cheers colty42, SFACRKnight for the ideas, and thank you to the rest who informed :) look forward to sourcing and sampling!!
    colty42 likes this.
  14. If you haven't already, try Allagash White, it's one of my favorite american wheatbeers
    seakayak likes this.
  15. it's actually a good american attempt at a classic belgian witbier. not really an american wheat at all.

down there in Oz, redback is a domestic kristalweizen that should be readily available. but you're probably like me, and much prefer the unfiltered bavarian originals.
  16. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (405) India Jul 25, 2009

Get V.I.T.U.S >
  17. I love dunkels, but I'm not sure I've ever seen the Hacker-Pschorr available in my area. I'd love to try it!
  18. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Banana/clove flavors ain't for me. I'll take an American wheat anyday.
  19. Yeah, not a lot of Americanized Hefe beers are all that great, to be honest. Europe's still got us beat in that style, IMO. As others have said, the Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss is probably the best example of the style in the States. Also, I'm fond of the Firestone-Walker Solace, which is a Hefe/Saison hybrd available around April-September.
  20. Not a whole hell of a lot of American stuff makes its way to Oz. In terms of Australian examples of the style, check out Moo Brew Wheat/Hefe depending on what they're calling it these days, Chevalier Hefe and Hefe Dunk from Bridge Road. 4 Pines and Bridge Road also do a Hefe. Also, try to find Burleigh Hefe as it won best Hefe at the World Beer Cup or some awards thingy of equal significance. Most German variants like Franziskaner, Erdinger, Weihenstephaner, etc. should be available at Danno's.

Good luck!
  21. Interesting. What does American wheat taste of then? I've only ever had German.
  22. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Basically, it tastes like a less hoppy Pale Ale. o_O

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/93

And to clarify: most of the beers mentioned above (Live Oak, SN Kellerweizen) are Bavarian-style Weizens, not the "American Pale Wheat Ale" -- which is an insult when labeled "Hefeweizen."
  23. So you're saying it kinda tastes like American Pale Lagers...or American style Koelsches...or American Blonde Ales...or American style Pilsners...?
  24. steveh

Now that you mention it...
  25. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

First of all, thank you for calling it a weissbier and not "hefe."

Since you're in Australia, I doubt you will have much access to American style wheat ales. I'd suggest moving into Belgian style witbier, which is a spicy wheat beer, and perhaps on to Belgian style beers in general. Also, if you can get any Dukelweizen or Weizenbock in Australia, give those a try.

In the end, as far as weizen beer goes, southern Germany is as good as it gets.

Jeff
  26. Ayinger Weizenbock would be to your liking
  27. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

If you like weissbier, you might like other ester-heavy beers. Weizenbock (a stronger weissbier) and Witbier (the Belgian equivalent often brewed with spices) are obvious places to look.
    You might also simply like anything where the yeast runs the show. Lots of Belgian beers fall into that grouping. A good place to start would be a Belgian Golden like Duvel.
  28. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

29. i wouldn't say they are "equivalents" or "versions" of one another. they are all distinct styles of their own. the only common thread is the use of wheat and perhaps the top fermentation. trying to tie them to other totally distinct styles does justice to none of them.
  30. DStoked

What's your point? Are you criticizing my suggestion, or just complaining about semantics?

OP asked "I was wondering from this avenue of tasting- what would be the next stage of tasting? Any ideas mates?" I was simply suggesting that if he likes Weissbier, the next stage of tasting may be to explore other styles that bear some resemblance to the Weissbier style.
  31. Domingo

Wessbier and witbier are both (usually) unfiltered ester-heavy wheat beers with a fairly similar grain bill, light hopping, a heavy yeast that produces similar flavors. They look similar, smell similar, and even taste fairly similar. Other than the Belgians using spices, they're pretty close. If someone likes one, the odds say they'd like another. "Equivalent" might not be the best word, but I don't think it's far off.
    steveh likes this.
  32. steveh

Well, as someone who has sampled all of the above for many years (Berliner Weiß at the source, too), I wouldn't be quick to suggest the Berliner to someone who likes Bavarian Weizen. As you point out, it's sour and/or tart and a far different character than a Weizen. It may just turn the OP off wheat beer entirely!
  33. if you can detect banana and clove in your typical belgian witbier, then your palate is either completely broken or more sophisticated than any other human on the planet. the yeasts are totally different, and german hefeweizen does NOT use raw unmalted wheat, which is typical of witbier and gives additional acidity.

semantics or not, there are not many similarities between berlinerweisse and bavarian hefeweizen, other than the use of wheat and top fermentation. for a newcomer like the OP i would recommend dunkelweizen and belgian tripel before getting anywhere near berlinerweisse.
  34. steveh

While there may not be banana or clove directly in a Wit, there is plenty of spiciness and fruit esters going on -- not to mention vanilla at times; something I'll get from Weizen now and then.

And while I agree they aren't the same beer, I have to defend that they fall very close -- a lot closer than Beliner Weiß or American Pale Wheat.
    TongoRad likes this.
  35. DStoked

There's only one way to find out. Quite simply I say what's the harm in trying? He's obviously looking for a new experience. I don't share your terror of turning him off to the entire wheat genre by sampling a Berliner, especially since he is already fond of the style and, as you point out, it has a far different character.
  36. Domingo

I'm not the first person to make that comparison. Garrett Oliver has done it more than once. Keep in mind that the "typical" banana/clove note isn't dominant in every weissbier. For instance comparing Mahr's, Schenieder, Erdinger, and Paulaner will net you 4 totally different flavor profiles...and I'd dare say the the ones further north in the country (Franconia in particular) have a flavor profile that share more with Blanche than Weihenstephaner. It's more of a vanilla cream and green apple. I will say that I still get a bit banana from a wit. It's certainly milder, but it's there.
  37. ah well, guess i'll cop this to individuals having different palates.
    Domingo likes this.
  38. Domingo

I'm not trying to be an ass - try a Mahr's weiss and a Blanche together. They're more similar than you might think. It's the Munich weissbiers that have the heavy banana.
  39. steveh

You seem to be contradictory there. Yes, he's fond of Weizen, and yes -- Berliner Weiß is far different from Weizen, so yes -- I would not lead him so far away at this point. Which is not to say that he should avoid it altogether, just don't lead him into the expectations that it will be similar to something he already likes.

To your original comment of,
    I have never found any real resemblance between Bavarian Weizen and Berliner Weiß.
  40. New Glarus Dancing Man Wheat would like a word with you.
    mymasterpiece75 likes this.