1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Weizen Bam clone

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MookDawg, Feb 21, 2013.

1. MookDawg

MookDawg Aficionado (115) Vermont Aug 15, 2009

Howdy y'all...

So, I've slowly turned one of my Bud Ice/Shocktop drinking friends into a beer geek, and his latest obsession is Weizen Bam. He's bought three cases of this stuff, and I've successfully been able to prop up a 1000mL starter from the dregs of 4 bottles. I get a lot of lacto, and recently started getting the beginnings of some brett. It's wonderful.

My question is really about how to ferment this out.

The recipe is pretty simple: "50% wheat malt, 50% pilsner malt, a kiss of hops, some time in oak, the magic of wild yeast and souring bacteria does its stuff..." so, grain bill and hops are easy, I have the funk from the dregs, but the in between stuff is the gray area...

The JP website says "yeast driven esters of banana, spicy clove, and nutmeg..." I can't say I ever got any of that from one of the bottles... but it makes me want to guess that the primary fermentation is with a hefeweizen yeast, then aged in oak along with the wild yeast (brett) and souring bacteria (lacto).

So I'm thinking of soaking some oak spirals in the dregs starter I made, using a solid hef yeast for primary, then maybe 2/3 of the way through I'll throw in the oak. I was also thinking about waiting until primary is done, racking to 2nd on top of the oak... that way the oak doesn't get sucked into the sludge in the bottom of the primary fermenter.

Anyone ever try a Weizen Bam clone? Any thoughts on the proposed process?

Cheers

2. I think you sound like your headed down the right path. I would add the dredges with the primary strain and then the oak in secondary as I feel like JP beers are usually quite pronounced in thier funk-- but I haven't had Weizen Bam (unfortunately).

3. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (535) Oregon Aug 25, 2009 Staff Member

I would pitch the Hefe and dregs together, then oak in secondary. JP turns there beers around quick, I don't think they age too long on the oak and wild stuff.