1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Welcome Founders to Australia

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mulder1010, Jul 12, 2013.

1. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Thought I would give a big welcome to Founders. Good to have you in the country.

Very nice of you to send out some FBS to this part of the world. Now I no longer have to get gouged in price by brewers here for a solid stout. See Holgate and a few others.

PS---- Send your RIS as soon as possible. Please
    danieelol likes this.
  2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Very good to see. Impressed with the range of 6 that they are starting off with. Pricing seems sharp and hopefully they are in good condition. Only had FBS and All Day previously and looking forward to drinking more.
  3. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

This batch sat around much longer then it needed too due to wrong labels, but hopefully it was kept refrigerated.
  4. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (170) Australia Jul 9, 2008

great way to start..
    so whats the verdict?
  5. any seen in Sydney?? other than in everyone's fave shop in Artarmon
  6. MrKennedy

Platinum were due to get Founders this week at Bellevue Hill only (due to the North Strathfield renovations).

None at Oak Barrel or Beer Cartel yet to my knowledge. Reviews for All Day ipa haven't been great.
  7. Lukie

>Reviews for All Day ipa haven't been great.<

Cause it ain't fresh! >.<

8. surely it hasn't sat around that long?
  9. Lukie

Nearly 8 weeks in Oz alone. so take into account the journey, 14 weeks... It's not tasting fresh. It's not tasting bad, but the hops have died on the Centennial dramatically.
  10. wow thats bad form for the first release in Aus
  11. mulder1010

Not cool. Was told less than that when asked about avaibility for the restaurant I run
  12. MrKennedy

Not yet at Warners at the Bay
  13. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

I noticed the use by date on the Dry Hopped Pale Ale at the IBS was Oct/Nov 2013 or something like that. So a fair way from fresh. Although most other bottles the use-by date was rubbed off/unreadable (weird). Picked up a Dirty Bastard to try tonight. That should have held up well.
  14. Lukie

Breakfast Stout should be fine, and that is all I care about at the moment. Centennials were tasting fine, but the hops were dying off.
  15. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

oh great...Australia seriously needs to stop fucking up most good import opportunities it gets
  16. Is Founders coming to Dan's?
  17. foles

foles Savant (375) Australia Jan 28, 2007

The Dirty Bastard was sensational. Not sure how fresh it actually was but no oxidation was noted.
  18. Hoptron_3000

Hoptron_3000 Savant (260) Australia May 27, 2013

Breakfast is amazing. Double Trouble was pretty tasty too!

Breakfast, All Day and Centennial all seemed to be missing best before dates!
  19. danieelol

did some dickheads rub them off or something? I thought this shipment was straight from Founders?
  20. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (170) Australia Jul 9, 2008

the durty bastards
  21. Lukie

My experiences so far:
    Porter was amazing.
    Centennial was tasting fine but the hops are already fading. If we can get it fresher it will be a wonderful IPA at a fantastic price.
    Double Trouble was nothing. Hops so far faded.
    Didn't bother with the Scotch Ale as I don't enjoy the style.
    Waiting on Breakfast. All Day IPA hasn't held up at all from everything I have heard.
  22. Picked up a CBS at an undisclosed bottle shop and thought it was a little on the Dusty side
  23. mulder1010

No, mane does not do grey imports at all. Just what they trade for.
    Need to ask us in Sydney for that kind of advice.
  24. No, there were a on the shelf and it wasn't Mane
  25. Hoptron_3000

Hmm it seems like a lot of effort to go through rubbing best before of each bottle, but who knows? Maybe they don't bottle date international deliveries. Bottles from Slowbeer with importers details on the side.
  26. mulder1010

CBS on the shelf??? Pics
  27. Hoptron_3000

Hehe, just found the best before dates on the importers stickers. Best before 23/02/14 on centennial is not to bad is it?
  28. danieelol

Good to hear. By the way I haven't been able to locate any particularly bad Aussie reviews, apart from All Day IPA which doesn't seem to be age-related anyhow
  29. LOL you took the bait Pat ! Knew you would;)
  30. mulder1010

Give me a break. Stella 0 and two Murray's beers and am tapped
  31. Hoptron_3000

For me the All Day is to thin and watery.
  32. Lukie

8 months on an IPA? Yeah sure thing........
  33. danieelol

well I mean it seems pretty good considering we already know it takes 1+ month to ship from the states then 2 months to sit in a warehouse for no reason before we can get our hands on it
  34. MrKennedy likes this.
  35. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (655) Australia Jul 14, 2008

So... I don't want to run a shop where I provide service and sell beers, I want all my stock to do my work for me and will only sell to people who want to buy multiple bottles of the same beer. Good thing I don't live in Sydney.
    joecast likes this.
  36. I agree dgilks, bloke sounds like a cock
  37. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Haha, that's a good read. If I were so worried about selling beer, I wouldn't write that kind of stuff in my blog.
  38. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (655) Australia Jul 14, 2008

So does that Pato guy. ;) I wonder who that might be?
  39. Hoptron_3000

Hmm, sounds like he needs a few more customers. Particularly some of those 4-pk buying ones!
  40. mulder1010

Without going too deep into things.....................................It is an odd strategy but it does work for him and in some ways it is the correct one for Platinum.
    If you go to enough shops you can see what moves and what does not. Sydney is a different market than Melbourne, Perth, or Newcastle.
    You can go to Beer Cartel, Warners at the Bay, Plonk or others that buy stuff and it sits there. Maybe a few singles get bought but by large a lot of stuff, and I am talking imports that do not move. Last time at Plonk I saw bottles of Mikkeller from 5 years ago that have not moved. Other shops in Sydney still have the Puffing Billy from LC and older Mountain Goat stuff. I have seen the Mikkeller/ Mt Goat collab on the shelf in a shop. Is that bad purchasing on the buyers end or is it that the customers are not being targeted correctly.
    Considering how All Day IPA is being crushed on Facebook and on here I would say it was a smart decision. The decision to not carry the scotch ale was smart as really through Sydney that is a style that does not move very well.
    As he says in his last paragraph his second store is being refurbished, so essentially he is running 1.25 stores so he has to be smart in what he brings in currently.
    MrKennedy likes this.