1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Welcome to the new BeerAdvocate Community!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BeerAdvocate, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Greetings!

We had hoped to get this up soon, but it wasn't in the cards. And we're still migrating/converting data to the new system. Until this is 100% complete we've opted to launch the "beta" version of the new forum so everyone can reconnect with each other.

Please Note:
    • Access to the main site is currently unavailable; we'll have an ETA later tonight.
    • All data has been backed-up.
    • If you HAVE a BeerAdvocate account, please login with your username/password. This will sync your account with your reviews, etc once the migration is complete.
    • If you DON'T HAVE a BeerAdvocate account, you can create one here and as soon as the main site is up we'll sync you to it.
    • The old forum will not be imported into the new one, but we plan on archiving it as HTML pages eventually.
    • Until the site and new forum are fully integrated, there will be a visual disconnect. We'll be working on syncing the two over the upcoming weeks, including color schemes.
    • Profile pages will eventually be sync'd too.
    • Old Beer Mails will be view-only once we get the data migrated.
    • Buddy Lists are now replaced with Follows and Followers.
    Also, there are a TON of new features with this new forum. Please take some time to explore and please don't abuse them. Feel free to rebuild your profile page too!

Server Upgrade:
    For those of you who didn't know, last week we purchased and migrated to two new servers. Performance has been exceptional.

Finally, thanks to all of you for your patience and support. The last week or so has been chaos, but we're getting there.

Cheers to all of you!

Jason & Todd

2. I look forward to learning all the ins and outs...but I have to be the first to give a big :( to the advent of smilies.

I'll miss the clean look of the old forums, but I'm sure the greatly expanded utility of the new ones will outweigh my nostalgia eventually.

Cheers!

3. oreo

oreo Savant (250) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

HI JASON AND TODD. HELLO!

StoneTSR, Shagtastic, Etan and 3 others like this.
  4. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Hello Hello...Is anyone out there? Can anyone hear me?

5. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yeah, this forum has code and smilies enabled. No way to turn them off yet, but the next version might.

Whatever. I'll take that over the functionality of these new forums any day! :)

6. I'm assuming that was a reply to me, so I'm posting back to see what replies look like.

7. o_O So a reply to a reply only quotes the original reply's new text, and loses the content of the post that was replied to in the first place; I hope there will be some way to retain the old forum's visual cues as to the chain of sub-discussions. The indentation could get extreme after a while, but it was nice not to have to jump back and forth constantly just to follow a series of replies.

8. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Looks great!

9. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

It was. I'm still getting the hang of it myself.

10. I don't know, I think this "da hell!?" :eek: could come in handy for some posts. Glad to see the site back on its feet!

11. Hello all, seems to be working.
    Cheers

12. The symptoms of withdrawal are beginning to subdue ....looks great and definitely faster. Thanks bros!
    -Drew

13. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Yes, we can hear you! ;)

14. Where are all my messages?

blivingston1985 likes this.
  15. Well, isn't this interesting. Will all of our user stats come over as well? Or are we all starting fresh?

16. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Will our old Profiles be coming back along with all of our reviews/forum posts, etc?

BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  17. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I like the new layout, including the color scheme. Bright, easy to read. Also, I like the design of the scroll over info blurbs - pretty handy. The text editor is also way more fun to use :D I'm excited about the file attachment options.

18. SageO

SageO Savant (385) California Jul 13, 2010

I’d suggest at least temporarily making the Login link more noticeable - took me a while to find it, and frankly I'm going to guess some people will never find it where it currently is.

GoldenChild and nanobrew like this.
  19. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Ha, this looks crispier. I can dig it.

20. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (355) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Looks good.

21. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Yah, it took me a minute to find it.

22. decadance

decadance Savant (385) Texas Mar 14, 2010

Wee. Back to finding things to kill my productivity.

sliverX likes this.
  23. northernbrews

northernbrews Savant (375) Michigan Apr 12, 2006

Like the new layout and all the differnent formating/posting options!!

24. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (350) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Really like the functionality of the forums. Also, I like the emoticons and the like feature, just wish there was a dis-like button also.

25. bauermj

bauermj Savant (475) Illinois May 4, 2009

Will BMs be brought over? I still have a few unanswered

26. cosmo4u

cosmo4u Savant (350) New York Nov 18, 2010

I think I need a beer...and the site looks great especially the profile add ons

Grohnke likes this.
  27. Yeah, I'll echo some of the questions posed already. Will we be able to access our old saved beermails, contacts, stats, etc?

28. All white hurts my eye pieces, contrast is waaaaaaay to subtle.

Emoticons suck.

No indentations makes me sad.

Still, glad its coming back and in a new polished manner. Thanks for all the hard work guys, I'm sure it wasn't fun or easy.

beertunes, Etan and woosterbill like this.
  29. scubarex

scubarex Aficionado (145) Illinois Dec 19, 2006

almost back in the saddle...

30. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Missouri Jan 27, 2012

I'd like to know this myself. I've got a couple of pending trades.

alwaysanswerb likes this.
  31. Good to be back!

32. oreo

No. Go away. NO one likes you.

birchholz and EricCioe like this.
  33. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I liked your post to see what happens when I like a post and to see how the reply works.

beerme411 and cosmo4u like this.
  34. So the Avi restrictions are no longer? Going to find out now I guess.

35. oreo

No. Go away. NO one likes you.

36. AgentZero

AgentZero Advocate (565) Illinois Jul 19, 2009

It's amazing how much more time I found I had on my hands when the forums were down ;) Excited to see everything integrated.

jsilva, JoEBoBpr, Centennial and 2 others like this.
  37. looking good so far. Maybe when you get this all worked out a mobile APP will be next. I can only dream!

38. cosmo4u

cosmo4u Savant (350) New York Nov 18, 2010

its BA's version of safe drunk dialing..the drunker you are the harder it is to log in and "drunk type"

GoldenChild likes this.
  39. The new site looks like it will be pretty kick ass!

I like that peoples' ages are displayed in their profiles now. Maybe that will encourage some people to act more grown up in the forums. We'll see though....

Either way, I can't wait.