1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Welcome to the new BeerAdvocate Community!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BeerAdvocate, Feb 22, 2012.

1. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Am I blind? How do you see what member # you are?

2. I don't see it either.

Also, when I click reply to your post, it takes a second to put in the quote info. I'm sure it's just how the forum works, but I keep typing stuff up before the quote is put in, and then everything is separated. Not a huge deal, just an observation. I have to slow myself down. "I'm all jacked up on Mountain Dew!"

Edit: I see it now. Thanks Bill! So what happens when I edit that number in the quoted text?

Edit again: It appears, nothing with that one, but if you edit the post: ####, when you hit the arrow, it will jump to a different post in the forum, regardless if it was in this thread.

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Click on reply (on the far right side of someone's post) Mr. 285723.

4. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Advocate (700) Illinois Jan 8, 2009

Ohhhh. I feel unspecial Mr. 708 :( haha

Thanks!

[edit] Though I am confused seeing as it states there are a "total" of only 286k members on the front page of the forums...

5. Sesmu

Sesmu Savant (290) Massachusetts Feb 28, 2007

You still can do it - nested quoting - but you will need to do some code tweaking.

Personally, I was never a big fan of series of replies, because it was harder to understand to which reply a reply was posted.

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I believe that's pages not members.

Edit: I now see what you're referring to. That's how many BAs have signed on to the new site?

7. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

364411, damn wish i had a better number. Can we trade numbers?

8. Sesmu

What forum platform is this?
    Next version? It seems a bit odd that it's not included already. I thought this option was known/requested for a while. I think you should probably be able to turn it on/off from within the code, once you get familiar with it.

9. Definitely different, but I think it'll be great once it's complete! Thanks Bros! I almost forgot what it's like to get on BA all day lol

10. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (800) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

:eek:

where are you guys seeing these numbers ?

11. obrike

obrike Savant (425) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Damn...still waiting for the new and improved site....at least I have some 2012 Bigfoot to keep me company.:cool:

12. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

4791 here, and I thought my number was low....

13. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (800) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

edit - now I see - at least mine ends with the number 69 :D

14. SHODriver

SHODriver Savant (455) Louisiana Aug 13, 2010

very cool, looking forward to being able to embed things now.

15. great. we can reply to ISO:FT's again.

16. golfr22

golfr22 Aficionado (130) Colorado Nov 6, 2007

Oh thank god....what a long few days that was!

17. stevefinny

stevefinny Savant (365) New Jersey Aug 28, 2009

I kinda liked it the other way, kept the trade forum clean.

18. Hokenfloken

Hokenfloken Savant (255) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I agree. I also preferred the quiet.

19. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Liking this new format a lot better than the old one.

Do agree that it would be nice to be able to to customize the appearance to our preferences.

Can't wait for the reviews to be re-opened, the thing I like most about this site and don't think that will ever change.

20. Ruger

Ruger Savant (270) Kentucky Aug 15, 2010

I am still not seeing these numbers that you all are.

21. You have to hit Reply to the far right of someone's post. When the quoted text goes into the reply field, it says quote="Member Name, post: ####, member: member number"

Once you hit post, all that info is hidden in the code. but you can see it again if you click edit.

22. Sesmu

Just do a mouse-over the name and you'll see the number in the bottom right corner (or wherever your browser shows.)

23. mobius387

mobius387 Savant (385) Florida Dec 5, 2010

so do i have to post to see what member # i am?

24. mobius387

mobius387 Savant (385) Florida Dec 5, 2010

yup, 534547

25. rodney45

rodney45 Savant (280) New York Aug 4, 2006

So... whats happening to beer karma, i know we dont talk about it, but i was pretty close to a tier upgrade, and it doesnt sound like its all that impt, but ive been on the site since 05, and i'd like to know if what ive been working at for 7 years will be replaced with an OC reward based system or one that is based on how many likes you get, posts, reviews etc.

I dont want to comment until its finished, but layout was a big reason for sticking with BA... this forum layout, as it stands now, is reminiscent of the run of the mill car or fishing forums that i overlook on a daily basis.

26. I posted an in-line picture on this thread earlier today (and even got a like), but now that post is gone with no record of it. I wonder if posting pictures is not kosher for BA... Bros, was this post deleted or are there still some server issues? I was excited about the change until my first post vanished. :confused:

27. rodney45

rodney45 Savant (280) New York Aug 4, 2006

member-90998 btw... to find your member number, click reply on a post you made in the forum, and it comes up with a html style [ code member number:#####]

28. leinie13

leinie13 Savant (270) Ohio Dec 4, 2011

Can't wait to see what else is in store!

29. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

Happy as hell to be hanging out drinking with all my fellow BAs ~ Cheers!

30. So far so good. Can't wait until everything returns to normal. The huge spaces between replies is a little much but we'll all probably get used to it quick.

31. The reply system revamp was long overdue imo. Only thing I don't like is the new sizing and I miss the black pages which always worked somehow. For those interested, pressing CTRL and - at the same time will zoom out the screen a bit which helps.

+oh and the new speed is instantly noticeable. WOWZA its about time!!

32. Big difference after zooming out a bit!
    I agree the speed difference is ridiculous!

33. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Noob.

34. EddieB23

EddieB23 Aficionado (155) Minnesota Nov 26, 2008

Glad to have you guys back, now I just have to figure out this avatar deal all over again...

35. udubdawg

udubdawg Advocate (505) Kansas Dec 11, 2006

looks good Bros; keep up the great work.

cheers--
    --Michael

36. Looks good.

37. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Glad to see the forums are up again.

38. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I definitely like the new setup, maybe took a second to get used to but it's pretty awesome.. can't wait to see the finished product!

39. Very excited that messages go directly to your email now!

40. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

When you hit reply, in the quote text above it should say it. also you can mouse over the name and see the number in the bottom left corner of the browser, as someone else has pointed out