1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Welcome to the new BeerAdvocate Community!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BeerAdvocate, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Morning all, does anyone know how I can get my old avatar back?
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

3. Seriously? No spell check in the editor?
  4. Wasatch

Wasatch Advocate (695) Utah Jun 8, 2005

23,172 not bad I guess, lol
  5. Firefox has a spell checker built in. Maybe try that?
  6. Google Chrome does as well.
  7. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I got tore a new one in the old forum when I asked for a spell check.
    From the usual sarcastic bunch
    they know who they are.
  8. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (625) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

New to the site. STELLAR so far!
  9. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Thanks for your hard work,best site for talking about craft beer in any form,continue to do what is best for Beer Advocate.
  10. Vonstein15

I would like to know how I receive the new avatar,news to me.
  11. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Yes. Seriously. ;)

Why? It would be redundant. All modern browsers include/offer spellcheckers for form fields.
    suspect likes this.
  12. Vonstein15

now this is different,look forward to all the great posts of the future,sarcastic or not,cheers to everyone
  13. I think the new site isn't bad. The main thing I miss in the new format is being able to track all the beers I have rated. I liked to look at the list of beers reviewed and keep track of how many reviews I have done. I hope this feature is brought back. Or perhaps it is there but I have not been able to find it.
  14. Todd

You can still review, Had, Want and Got beers, review places and track them. http://beeradvocate.com. Left hand nav. "Your: Beers | Places"
  15. Brad007

Brad007 Advocate (620) Vermont Mar 28, 2007

I hate to be redundant in any form but will all of my reviews eventually be back up? Just wondering. I'm continuing to review beer as-is.
  16. suspect

suspect Savant (400) New York Apr 12, 2010

Exactly.
  17. suspect

The problem is that both sites feel extremely separate. Reviewing places and beers and the whole forum site feels separate. I assume they'll gel at some point and it will make me giddy. Until then, it might as well be beeradvocate.com and talkaboutbeer.com.
  18. Todd

Kind of stating the obvious. ;) Read here: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/site-update-feb-24-2012.750/
  19. suspect

20. Spikester

Spikester Savant (415) Oregon Jul 14, 2007

Glad to see the site back up. Nice job of updating the look. :)
  21. Spikester

ah...147743.
  22. Spikester

Thanks for the "CNTRL -" tip, much better.
  23. Jason and Todd-

Much thanks for all the time and effort put into this project.

Looking forward to the new BA Community!
  24. There are also shortcut keys to do most of the other functions in the WYSIWYG editor. That doesn't mean you don't provide the tool in an obvious place.
  25. Todd

Assuming you're using a modern browser, it too will have shortcut keys for its internal spellchecker, but most are set to check real-time so there's no need. Again, it would be redundant if we offered one too and its more efficient to handle this on the client-side so that the user can use whatever custom dictionary they've built over time with any site they visit. There are also several spellcheckers available for IE.
  26. I use Firefox, and I'm aware of that (but thank you - good tip for others.) My point is that, from a usability standpoint for people who aren't proficient in downloading browsers / add-ons and stick with the standard IE, there ought to be a spellcheck option. I've set up software, such as Drupal editor and forum add-ons, and with the click of a button a software manager can usually add a spellcheck option to the editor toolbar. If this software doesn't offer that option, that's a fine answer. But requiring users to do extra work (download a new browser or add-on) is just bad design.
  27. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'm sure

There isn't much proficiency needed to download a browser, not much work either. Go to the browser's website, click download, follow the easy steps and you're done. I'm sure IE will someday catch up to the rest of them but that is just one reason I don't use IE anymore...
  28. Great! Thanks for letting me know.
  29. Woah. Welcome back to us. Gonna take some getting used to, but sometimes change is good. Well done, bros.
  30. The new forums look great! I've finally decided to join up and get a subscription to the magazine to support you guys!
  31. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I use an android and every once in awhile I'll get a message saying that it can't load the forum due to "too many redirects".
  32. Sweet set up. I like it.
  33. Stankonia

Stankonia Aficionado (195) Idaho Dec 17, 2010

Is there anyway that people's location can be listed right under their avatar and user name?? Obviously the availability and discussion of craft beer can be location-dependent, and its a pain to open a person's profile anytime you want to see where they are.
    JohnWaynes44 likes this.
  34. bros have said they are not currently doing this as it's a free-form field and would be abused. You can click the avatar for the pop-up, no need to go to the profile.
  35. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

Why not have a dropdown box with a list of States/Countries/Cities? I feel like the "Bros" are underestimating the web development knowledge of some of the users on this site.
  36. Todd

That's an incorrect assumption on your part. The framework behind the forum simply doesn't support it yet and I don't feel like applying a temporary hack.
  37. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

That's too bad.

Glad the "Tweet" buttons work at the bottom of the pages though.
  38. Ya, sorry, not going to join the happy parade here. The new forums now take 3 clicks to get into EACH ONE you want to see (while the old version had each of your choices ALL consolidated and available via the BA homepage). Sure, having the ability to edit with Microsoft-like functions like Bold, Italics, etc. and "Happy Faces" is cool (maybe for one demographic), to me, this site has always been about the CONTENT ... not the structure/formatting of said content.

Bring us closer to the past. Please.
    BEERchitect and beertunes like this.
  39. if you spent as much energy making cranky avatars as you did learning the new forum it'd be smooth sailing, kemosabe.
    Todd likes this.
  40. This sums up my thoughts exactly. I loved the old format of the forum and how it functioned and fit with the rest of the site. Having all the new topics consolidated on the main page made the forum so much easier to use. I have yet to see any of these fancy word document functions being used. Seems like ratebeer has had a big influence on all the changes this site has had over the last several months. BA HAD it's own identity. Bring back the site honors that we earned over years of contributions as well. Have yet to hear the reason behind dumping the Karma. It's as if they are showing all the old timers on the site the door and inviting new blood...hey wait a minute...that's me