1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Welcome to the new BeerAdvocate Community!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BeerAdvocate, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Nonsense. Up until this change, which was forced on us, our site had pretty much remained the same for around a decade; including the last several months.

Try reading the updates.

Perhaps in your view, tainted with fear of change and grumpiness, but it's certainly not the case.
  2. Todd

Exactly. He took the time to create a troll-ish avatar (removed), but won't take the time to use the system before crapping on it or reading the updates to understand why this is all happening.
  3. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I don't see an avatar. Did it get deletinated? I demand to be offended!
  4. Todd

Yeah, it was removed.
  5. 1. Did you not just change your review scores? which btw is now almost exactly like RB.
    In my opinion these most recent change also makes BA a lot more similar to the other site, all I'm sayin.
    It has lost it's unique identity, in my opinion. Not a personal attack on you
    2. I HAVE read the updates and PM'd you with no response and have not seen Karma addressed.
    Finally, opposition or differences to your changes is not always fear of change and grumpiness.
    I would describe a lot of your responses as grumpy, snarky, and stand-offish...including one where you told a member that he could log off if he didn't like it (in not so many words)
    I think the members should be able to disagree without being censored, scolded, told to go away or banned.
  6. 1. That happened over a month ago in the old forums. It has nothing to do with the forum redesign.
    2. Karma has been addressed a few times- it is not gone, but will be changed most likely, they are figuring how to tie it in to the new forum's achievement system.

see here for the update on Karma:

"Old profiles and the old beer karma are no more. As posted earlier we're looking at different ways to integrate user stats and reward users for their site contributions."

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/site-update-feb-27-2012.1426/#post-13917
  7. Todd

Actually, they only share the fact that they're numbers. What's behind the numbers is VERY different. The use of "numbers" is also an industry standard (wine, spirits, etc), so the whole number things is not exclusive to RB. Oh, I also forgot to mention that BA was using numbers before the letter grade system. In fact, we used numbers for longer than we did letters.

And I should be able to reply to or challenge any disagreements or complete BS. Look around. BAs disagree with us all the time. It's what happens when you get so many different and passionate people in the same place, but we only ban people who deserve it / have been warned multiple times. And if someone gets scolded or told to go away ... chances are they deserved it too.

And for the "log off" comment, that was me being sarcastic towards what I suspected was sarcasm on his part; hence the emoticon. I pulled it as a few users didn't get it and got all bent out of shape. Emoticons. Learn them! ;)
    palma and abraxel like this.
  8. Todd

Actually, Beer Karma has been addressed. Numerous times. And numerous BAs have pointed out to others that it's been addressed numerous times.

See here for the latest mention: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/site-update-feb-27-2012.1426/
  9. Gotcha Chief!;)
  10. You're already offending all the arachnophobes with your new avatar!
    leedorham likes this.
  11. fdrich29

fdrich29 Savant (415) Massachusetts Jan 12, 2004

Just spent the last hour or so getting used to the new format. I've been a member of BA since 2004 and usually not a big fan of change, but I have to say, for me at least, the new format makes interacting with other BA's much easier.
  12. ChopperSmith

ChopperSmith Savant (260) Minnesota May 17, 2009

How do I find the profile link to all of my beer reviews with the new profile/layout? Thanks.
  13. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

On the home page (not in the forums/community), in the left sidebar there's "Your: Beers | Places", and the Beers link takes you to your reviews.

Or just go here.
    ChopperSmith likes this.
  14. megriggs

megriggs Initiate (0) Germany Jun 24, 2006

Not really something you want to brag about, dude.

:eek:
  15. Todd

I'm not your dude, and I'm not bragging. ;)
  16. megriggs

Clearly. But you probably shouldn't draw attention to the fact that you hadn't updated your site in a decade, that it was only when it crashed and burned that you finally upgraded it. And that was only by force, not by choice.
    JohnWaynes44 likes this.
  17. Todd

I see no harm in explaining why and how we got here.

Besides, we all have much bigger things to worry about.
  18. megriggs

Like how to get the forums in the frame of the main site, maybe?:p
  19. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

You people crack me up
  20. Todd

Or trying out some new moderator tools. ;)
    RBCORCORAN and trginter like this.
  21. megriggs

LOL.

<3
  22. megriggs

WHAT? No heart! Changed mind. This new forum sucks ass.
  23. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Can you beer mail direct from the forum or is the profile post considered the beer mail?
  24. Todd

Click on a username/avatar > Start a Conversation, which is a private thread that you can invite others to; 25 max.
  25. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

26. ChopperSmith

ChopperSmith Savant (260) Minnesota May 17, 2009

Thanks!!!
  27. Thanks for all of your hard work to get this up and running. It's a huge undertaking and your efforts are greatly appreciated!!
  28. EseLocoSS

EseLocoSS Savant (310) Illinois Feb 2, 2010

Not sure if this has been covered yet or not but I haven't been able to find anything about it. What forum software is this running on?
  29. Todd

Xenforo.
  30. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

When will our old profiles be accessable again?
  31. Todd

We're working on it. As soon as we're done, we'll post an update; like always.
  32. So, keeping in mind that Todd and the crew had no choice but to make changes, and it is going to take some serious time to integrate so much data, it makes sense to be grateful. I have no doubt things will look just fine in the time ahead - they're looking fine now, considering the amount of work that needs to be done. The new forums are working; reviews and such are still there. I wrote a few new reviews in the mean time. Things will eventually find their way into a consistent, convenient, accessible format. Changing databases around requires extensive code writing and stuff I can't even rightly wrap my head around. In the mean time, change requires adjustment on our part. The less time the BA crew spends responding to impatience, the more time they can devote to nuts and bolts of this whole process.
    Paul68 and Todd like this.
  33. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

One would hope so, its 2012 for pete's sake, there is a mobile app for EVERYTHING. Even RateBeer has one (not bad by the way).
  34. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

I can't tell, is this site back or done? Is this the final product? Is everything that appears lost, now gone forever or is that part of some on going project? Sorry, 14 pages of people bitching or sucking up is just too intolerable to go through and there hasn't been a posted update on the front fo the page for a month.
  35. GoGriz

GoGriz Savant (255) Massachusetts Dec 2, 2008

Wondering the same thing. Is this it? When will the the old site get integrated into this new one or are we never going to get that?
  36. Todd

If you don't have the time to read the updates, why should I spare the time to repeat myself? ;) (Especially given your attitude.)
  37. Todd

Please read the other Announcements. Thanks.

Locking this thread down now as it's getting random, unrelated replies/questions now.