1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

West Central Minnesota

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Hop-Droppen-Roll, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Anyone else on here from the Alexandria area? I live in Starbuck and am just wondering if my gut feeling is accurate - that I'm the only one of my kind for miles and miles around - would be great to have someone to do some IP trades with and such.

2. My wife is from Alexandria and her mom was born in Starbuck. We visit every so often so I'll let you know next time we're there. You are in a bit of a craft beer wasteland though. Unless Westside Liquor in Sauk Centre has a better selection now?

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
  3. fixnfun

fixnfun Disciple (70) Minnesota Mar 19, 2010

I'm from the Osakis/Alexandria area and yes the selection around here is bleek. Thankfully my wife travels a lot for work and doesn't mind making stops for me. I have also called on my niece an nephew in Fargo/Moorhead and sister in-law in Council Bluffs/Omaha area. IP trades would be nice around here vs. shipping.

4. It is pretty bad. I have a friend who has a hobby farm n.w of Alexandria and on the way up we stop in different towns and the best I have ever done is a 6pk of Expedition stout in Avon.

biniek13 likes this.
  5. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

If you don't know this already Old Capital Tavern in Sauk Centre puts on tap takeovers from time to time (I recall a Bell's one in December). Not sure how up to date their tap list is now but it looks pretty good. Maybe you can find a fellow BA there. Good luck!

http://www.oldcapitaltavern.com/index.php

6. You all will be pleased to know that I work at a wholesaler and have been working with a sales rep to do some good things. I've got 2012 Pere Jacques in County Line just a few miles south of Alex. Also got expedition in there, and if you all haven't tried Alaskan Hopothermia - damn it's good.

7. I was bewildered by this - then I checked out the link - you meant Sauk Rapids :(

Fargrow likes this.
  8. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

My mistake. You're correct. Still just over an hour away from you. :)

9. I do get over to St. Cloud a few times a year - I'll make sure to check it out! Thanks for the heads up!

10. Fargrow

Fargrow Savant (495) Michigan Feb 7, 2013

I'm originally from Sauk Centre. Definitely not a huge craft beer culture in the area, although I thought Westside Liquor had a decent selection when I was there a few years ago. I can hook you up with Michigan beer when I come back a few times a year.

11. Yeah! Sounds great! I can pay monies.