1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

West Coast Road Trip

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wesbray, Jan 6, 2013.

1. If you're looking for good beer bars, these are some I loved in CA as an out-of-towner: The Shack in Sacramento, Boneyard Bistro in Sherman Oaks, Father's Office in LA, Neighborhood in San Diego...

2. I live in los angeles so can recommend great spot for beer
    1. Mohawk bend in silverlake (great food and approx 80 taps have great price and good mixture lot of IPA's)
    2. Blue Palms brewhouse in i guess it hollywood but dont worry easy access from freeway well On tuesday $4 beers
    and thursday 35 cent wings they have rotate 24 taps lot of good mixture
    3. Surly Goat West hollywood not too bad on access it is more like a club as they have a dj after 10 and great atmosphere rotate tap list of about 20 taps and great bottle service
    4. Sunset beer company (right up the street from mohawk and 10-15 from blue palms) more like a coffee shop you can buy bottle to go and/or open them in the store for small corkage fee also has about 6 rotate taps
    San francisco area
    1. Stay away from Tornado very dirty and not great tap list
    2. Triple Rock in burkeley right by campus good appetizer and great beer must try the IPAX ipa
    3. Drakes brewery south of san francisco a bit and sister brewery to Triple rock they have amazing barrel aged brew and great atmosphere very relax laid back
    hope this helps message me when you in los angeles we can meet up for a brew

3. Excellent, I will let you know!
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The selection of US brews is ridiculously sparse up here so if i'm looking to get a real feel for your brews across the nation, which bottles should I be bringing back with me? As well as the brews mentioned i'm a big Dogfish Head and Ommegang fan.

4. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

5. I've been trying to create a Google Map going down the 101 and visiting most of the breweries in between but for some reason it won't let me stick to the 101 easily...

6. I did the Anchor Brewery tour over the summer and it was awesome. It is free and includes a tasting. It fills up far in advance, so check into it. There is a brewery in Berkeley called Red Rock that had some really good stuff on tap while we were there. 21st Amendment is also solid. Did not enjoy the rogue ale house in SF. Enjoy and Cheers.

7. Drake's Barrel House in San Leandro. They have a ton of great barrel aged beer that never makes its way into bottles. Kern River Brewing in Kernville. If you're lucky they might have Citra on tap, should be ready soon. Alpine Beer Co. has the best, and least distributed, IPA's on the west coast. Drink Alpine or go to bed. Safe travels.

8. I did Pelican and Bend this summer. That takes a while. As does Chico to Santa Rosa.

As for Washington beer, I really liked Walking Man Homo Erectus some years back. Chuckanut makes some good lagers.

9. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

Oh wow. People really are different. Someone just suggested Mohawk bend and advised to stay away from Toronado SF? i'm baffled.

10. "Stay away from Tornado very dirty and not great tap list"

I agree with the first, but not the second part.

When we were at the Toronado SD, we thought it was a parallel universe.

11. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Here's our basic "visiting Seattle" thread: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/visiting-seattle.10965/ . Things change a bit, but it's pretty accurate. Check the two blogs linked for details about anything special going on while your here. If you come north of Seatthole, I'd be happy to show you around my little corner of the Fourth Corner. Cheers!

12. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

13. I was referring to Tornado in San Francisco to dispell any confusion
    The place was so dirty they told me they dont have time to properly sterilize there glasses so they use
    a 3 sink system which consisted of one sink rinse one sink sanitize and one sink wash but the problem was they never changed the water they rinse or wash or the sanitizer the whole time I was there and it horrible
    I dont understand how you can justify serving beer in dirty glasses also the line to the tap probably had not been cleaned since they opened make there beer taste funny
    as far as Mohawk bend one of the cleaner bars period and they sterilize glasses in back and rinse before they fill also has an amazing tap list and pretty good food I feel my post was more than justified but to each his own

14. I was thinking of doing the I-5 until I get to Portland and then join the 101? What do you guys think?

15. NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  16. p.s. i don't know if anyone mentioned, but I don;t want to scsroll through it all. If you head down the 5 or the 101 in central Ca, I reccomend hanging a right, or left depending which freeway and stopping by Firestone Walker for the fun of it. Obviously once you get to the LA, OC, SD realm everyone has you covered already. you may consider renting a Uhaul with all of the potential stops you could pull on this road trip.... and to that i say, well played sir!

17. i think i'm going to add Firestone Walker...I have heard amazing things. Going to be mapping my travels tonight.

18. So here's what i'm thinking. I'll take the I-5 from Vancouver (BC, not OR) to Portland, then head back onto the 101 to SF, then down to LA and San Diego. I'll then head back up to Sacramento then Seattle. The only breweries i'm planning to go out of my way for are Firestone Walker and Russian River. Good plan?

19. Sounds good, The 5 much further South or Portland turns into a realy boreing drive and there is very little along the way worth stopping for. Heading down the 101 will take you quite a bit longer it is so much more enjoyable of a drive, it sounds like a great trip, Oh yeah if your going all the way down to San Diego, the Stone Brewery is a must!

20. If I absolutely must, how would you order these breweries in terms of quality to visit? I'm sure i'll pick up bottles or get a glass of every one of them...i'm only in the US for two weeks so if I have to prioritize...

Russian River
    The Bruery
    Laguinitas
    FiftyFifty
    AleSmith
    Stone
    Alpine
    Green Flash
    Ballast Point
    Rogue
    Pelican
    Hair of the Dog
    Firestone Walker
    Deschutes

21. Ummmmm, not worth the extra gas money o_O just get to pizza port

22. jmccraney

jmccraney Savant (310) Washington Sep 30, 2010

An excellent list. A few tweaks if I may may make some suggestions.

1. I forgot to mention earlier, but if you need an early stop to get things started right, Bellingham has three good breweries: Boundary Bay, Chuckanut, and Kulshan. Their not big tourist destinations by any means but if you need to wet your whistle it's an option.
    2. I would reiterate that FiftyFifty is a one trick pony. If you're into barrel aged stouts, Eclipse might be worth the long detour, but their other beers may disappoint. You could substitute that detour for the much easier stop at Sierra Nevada in Chico, CA. They have a wider variety of high quality beers and I hear the tours are good.
    3. Don't forget Bear Republic! It's off the 101 as you approach the bay so you'll be driving right by.
    4. I've never been impressed by Green Flash. I know others may have different opinions, but I would substitute this for a stop at Pizza Port/Lost Abbey. I mean, depending on time do both haha, but if you end up in a hurry that's my pick.
    Some of my favorite bottled beers in no particular order: North Coast - Old Rasputin Barrel Aged, Port Brewing - Old(er) Viscosity, Deschutes and Hair of the Dog - Collage, Schooner EXACT - 3-grid IPA, Snoqualmie Falls - Wildcat IPA, Russian River - Pliny the Elder, Ballast Point - Sculpin, Lagunitas - Lil Sumpin Sumpin and Cappuccino Stout, Sound Brewing - Monk's Indiscretion.
    You don't list your Seattle plans, but I'm sure they will turn out well. Sounds like an awesome trip!

beertunes likes this.
  23. jumboj11

jumboj11 Savant (255) Georgia May 24, 2009

Disagree. Just because there isn't a Ballast Point, Alpine, Firestone, etc. doesn't mean they don't have worthwhile beer in LA.

As others have noted, stop by Ladyface in Augora Hills and make sure you get to Eagle Rock Brewery... they're extremely underrated. If you're stopping at any of the local Los Angeles beer bars be sure to look for stuff from Craftsman. They don't have a facility that's open to the public so you've got to keep an eye out, but it's worth it. They make some of the best beer in the city IMO.

24. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

Anchor is a must,give one tour a day but if you plan ahead it's easy to get on. Firestone walker is just off the 101 if going that way and a few hours down is Hollister brewing,Tiny Bubbles is an incredible beer. Then stop at Fathers Office in Culver City just off the 405 for a burger. Beachwood in Long Beach then Pizza Port in either San Clemente or Carlsbad. Finish at Toro in SD. Turn around and go home.

25. Dude, Anchor tours are booked 6+ months out; I really wanted to go :(

26. In Seattle - Fremont Brewing, Elysian Brewing, and Georgetown Brewing are a few recommendations of mine within the actual city limits. Schooner Exact is also worthy of mention. Plenty of good breweries outside of Seattle limits as well.

In Portland - Cascade Barrel Brewing, Hair of the Dog, and HUB are a few I'm particularly fond of. If you could make it to Bend, I highly recommend Boneyard Brewing (Deschutes can be found here too, but also in Portland).

CA - I haven't been down to CA in years, but there's too many great breweries to list that are worth visiting if you're going there - Anchor, Firestone, Russian River, Bear Republic, Lost Abbey, Stone, Lagunitas, Green Flash, Sierra Nevada, etc. The list goes on. Just visit what you can while there, due to it being a pretty big state and all :)

27. mrcraft

mrcraft Champion (750) California Dec 15, 2012

Are you serious? It seems you are in the minority with your opinion. I stand by my comment.

OP is making a long west coast road trip, and I assume with the goal to visit as many top breweries and bars as possible. Eagle Rock does not make bad beer, but at the same time it is silly to recommend a visit to their brewery unless his itinerary has him in LA and has time to kill given the context of this thread.

However, I did neglect to mention Beachwood in Long Beach/Seal Beach (LA area). Very good beer and food. Along with other LA bars people have suggested.

28. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

6 months!?! I can see that I guess. It is totally worth the wait though. Really cool 1930's art deco building,the brewery itself has a very European feel to it,great bar at the end where you can try everything they make. Great way to start a SF beer weekend.

NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  29. They have a fading mural on the brick wall on the side of the brewery. A great photo op even if you can't get in for the tour.

30. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Great map, put a similar one together just focusing on SF for a 4 day trip. Wishing I would have seen this before our trip because there were a couple of places on yours that we missed. But doubt they could have been squeezed in because we ended up cutting out Beer Revolution and The Trappist due to lack of time. Cheers.

31. Beer Rev and the Trappist were some of our highlights! Beer Rev is always a good time; they had stuff on that I've never seen-- and everything is at or over 5%
    [​IMG]

... and the Trappist had Double Black on tap, just sayin'

narayan and ehammond1 like this.
  32. I just got back from Portland last night and while Deschutes is nice, they don't have anything super awesome that you can't get in stores other than a nice Saison and a Barley Wine.
    But Apex and Beermonger, right across the street from one another and a few blocks from Hair of the Dog, were definate go-to locations.

33. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Wasn't happy about missing either of those places, and you're not making it easier. Thanks.

NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  34. You just gotta make another trip, ammirite? :D

35. So for San Diego, which of these two would you pick out of the four: Alesmith, Ballast Point, Green Flash or Alpine?
    Probably going to to bypass Rogue due to time constraints and Lagunitas, mainly because i've heard great things about their beer but i'm not sure about their brewpub. My current list is this:

Portland: Hair of the Dog, Cascade, APEX, Belmont Station.
    Pacific City: Pelican.
    Santa Rosa: Russian River.
    San Fran: Anchor, Toronado, La Trappe, City Beer.
    Buellton: Firestone Walker/Barrelworks
    Los Angeles: Blue Palms, Mohawk Bend.
    San Diego: Too many that I need to narrow down...(see above)

36. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Don't know what you heard about Lagunita's brewpub but it's a very nice place with indoor and outdoor seating, very good food, great service and it's just a hop off the 101, which you must take on on your way south from Russian River to SFO. I highly recommend not missing it.

37. Didn't hear anything bad per se, just not quite as good as the ones i've mentioned. I'd be very happy to be convinced otherwise though...

38. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Ill take the food at Lagunitas over RR anyday and if Sucks is on tap..........

39. In fairness, it looks like RR only has pizza. But there seem to be a fair few beers there that I would want to try that I cannot get elsewhere. Again correct me if i'm wrong...

40. Also, how would you guys rate Cascade? It's the one I probably know the least about but looks like one of the most interesting...