1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

West Coast Road Trip

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by wesbray, Jan 6, 2013.

1. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (690) California Dec 15, 2012

Don't know anything about their food but awesome beers. Along with Logsdon, Cascade make the best sours in the region, in my opinion. Also, their beers are generally highly trade-able, if that makes any difference.

2. It's not the food in particular that i'm interested in, it just seems like I need more than just a sparse taproom with nothing else given the brevity of my trip. An example being Stone, which while maybe not quite as strong beer-wise, I have heard has great food and great scenery.

3. Vinnie has said the kitchen crew has a sign that says -"If you can't bake it, we don't make it."

If you want something else, plenty in the area. Flavor for Italian.

4. I'm perfectly happy with a lack of much food if the beer is spectacular and relatively unavailable elsewhere. RR falls in to this category. Lagunitas seems to be on tap in alot of places in the area and available in most bottle stores which is why for me its not a "must go".

5. Skipping the entire state of Washington would be an error, my friend. You've received plenty of recommendations, so I won't repeat them. Just because Washington breweries are not hyped, doesn't mean they're not good.

6. I'm not actually skipping Washington beers but i'll only be in WA for half a day due to the missus preference...

7. Make sure you don't hit San Diego on a Monday. Every brewery is closed. Well most anyway....

8. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (340) California Feb 1, 2011

I also highly suggest Bend for the plethora of options there, but thankfully Deschutes is also in Portland so you're solid there among others. If you do side trek to Bend, stop by the Growler Guys for a convenient 34 tap selection at great prices - they even have loads of growlers and growlettes for purchase (also great prices). Growler filling in CA won't be so easy.

In CA I suggest targeting Anderson Valley, Drake's and Beachwood.

9. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

Thumbs up to HS as they actually sell their Cantillon to customers as per normal, unlike shittybeer on folsom which is currently selling mamouche at $80 per bottle as on premise only "so more people have the opportunity to try it". Fuck them are you a retail outlet or a restaurant with almost 3x markup. End rant...

10. It's getting very tough to decide on where to visit due to only spending a day in each city and rationing myself a two hour time limit on beer related activities...

11. narayan

narayan Aficionado (170) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Too right.

12. gator79

gator79 Savant (320) Washington Nov 1, 2008

Great thread. I'm going to be driving from Jacksonville, FL TO Seattle, WA next month and I plan on hitting a few of these. The Bruery and RR are absolutely on the list. The Pelican off of 101 looks cool too.